What's new

First shave with the ATT G1 Gem type razor.

I just got this nice razor from ATT. It’s their modern version of a Gem type razor. Model ATT G1. It’s a real beauty and shaves really nice.
First off I have to say putting it together for use is a bit tricky. Once I figured out how to do that all was fine.
I used an ordinary Gem stainless steel blade. I hand stropped it a few times.

It does give a nice smooth shave. Although similar to the ER-1912 it is different. It feels nice on your face. Maybe it’s the extra weight or the grooves in the head. I’m not sure why but I like it better than the ER-1912. To honest I haven’t use the 1912 in awhile but I don’t remember enjoying it as much as the G1.

ATT should have included some sort of directions on assembly. Something like this would have been helpful.

1. Put the little threaded hook thru the base plate with the hook toward the front.

2. Then put the blade in place.

3. Then put the top piece on with the tapered end toward the front.

4. Then screw the handle on.

This razor gives such a nice smooth and close shave it’s worth every penny. You can get it with or without a handle. I will be keeping it.

Last edited:
I put a Weber Wave handle on it. Looks cool.

ATT G1.JPG

I used the blades you can get at CVS or Walgreens. Stainless steel. I hand stropped them 4 times on each side. It was a very smooth shave. The best shave I ever got from a Gem blade. This G1 shaves very close yet very smooth.

ATT G1_Nivea.JPG

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Glad you picked one up! Looks nice with that Wave handle. I like knurling! I always get the Kronos handle with ATT -- it's what works for me. That Wave would probably suit me pretty well, too.

O.H.

I'm really enjoying this razor. It's not aggressive at all but very efficient. I can get a Baby Butt Smooth (BBS) shave every time. I also find I don't have to hold it flat against my face to get a close shave. And the grooves in the top plate make the shave feel even smoother. This is a great razor. Notice the grooves, it makes for a very smooth shave.

ATT G1_grooves.JPG

Last edited:
This razor reminds me of the OneBlade razor. Very smooth and easy to use. Only I like it much better than the OneBlade because it still requires some skill to use.

I just had another great shave with the G1 razor. This is quickly becoming my favorite razor. It just shaves so smooth and yet so close. I can't believe I'm saying this because I kind of gave up on Gem razors.
Before I felt they were just not as smooth or sharp as DE blades or Artist Club type blades. But this razor reminds me of the $400. OneBlade razor I had. It is flawless in operation and very smooth. This razor is worth a try.

ATT G1_Arko.JPG

I just had another great shave with the G1 razor. This is quickly becoming my favorite razor. It just shaves so smooth and yet so close. I can't believe I'm saying this because I kind of gave up on Gem razors.
Before I felt they were just not as smooth or sharp as DE blades or Artist Club type blades. But this razor reminds me of the $400. OneBlade razor I had. It is flawless in operation and very smooth. This razor is worth a try.

You talked me into it. I'll add my review when I get the razor from ATT and blades from Connaught.
Darn RAD!!

Did you buy just the head or did you get a handle with it?

I'm deciding. I already have an SE2 with an altas and a H2 with a kronos, so I don't really *need* one. Plus, I've decided to go fishing on the BST for a trade or WTB post. But I will have one.... oh yes, I will have one.

Talk about not needing it. I totally gave up on Gem razors. I gave away or sold the ones I had. I use to love the ER-1914. Then I saw the G1 and it just caught my attention. It was like a new toy I just had to have. Of course I dd not need it but I'm so glad I got it. This could become my favorite razor.

I'm still enjoying this razor. I find it shaves close without any irritation. No question about it, this is the best GEM type razor I have ever used. And just $99. for the stainless steel head is worth every penny. I can't say enough about it.

Like I said before, it reminds me of the OneBlade $400. razor I had. It is very smooth and easy to use. It seems impossible to cut yourself with it. Great as a daily driver. You can use this everyday with no irritation.

You've got to quit doing this to me! I've been trying to hold off on purchasing this head. I don't NEED it.

I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it..................

Top Bottom