What's new

Quick question: Shavette, half blade or whole blade?

Currently looking into shavettes I'm wondering what are the differences between half and whole blade shavettes regarding shaving (aggressiveness, angle, etc.)

Intuitively, I suppose that whole blade ones might give hard time to shave under the nose whereas half blade ones might gain easier access.

Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
download (1).jpg
I like the full blade, shave is closer to a real straight

Exactly. Just like the endless debate on whether a 5/8 straight is better than a 7/8.

I find full-DE blade shavettes like the Universal more "stable" and smoother shaving than the half-blade, which is "twitchier" but more manoeuvrable.

I prefer wide, but both types have a place in my den. Sometimes I'm in the mood for wide, and sometimes narrow. In true B&B tradition, get both.

^^ not a shavette.

I tried a Universal (full blade), and wasn't a fan. never tried a half blade. I do have a Feather SS folding and like it for what it does. tested out an kamisori styled SS and AC during a passaround, and didn't notice a difference between the two, so I bought the folding SS.

There are also shavettes that take an entire DE blade. Usually people mean Parker SRX or one of the many others of that design when they talk about shavettes with a half blade.
This one takes an etire blade, so no snapping in half.

https://www.amazon.com/MANION-Openi...ANION+Shaving&qid=1560547158&s=gateway&sr=8-8
The interesting thing about these is that they behave closer to a straight. The scales are bigger than your typical shavette and the 'blade' is kinda like a hollow ground. This really affects how you shave with them. Certainly worth checking out if you are interested in shavettes, cheap as they are.

Currently looking into shavettes I'm wondering what are the differences between half and whole blade shavettes regarding shaving (aggressiveness, angle, etc.)

Intuitively, I suppose that whole blade ones might give hard time to shave under the nose whereas half blade ones might gain easier access.

If you're thinking about getting into shavettes, I would urge you to skip the half DE shavettes and go for the AC blade types. Both the blades and holder are more expensive, but you'll find it a lot more similar to SR shaving than any DE blade shavette. AC blades will last considerably longer than DE blades if you care for them properly. Plus you can explore and dial in which blade works best for you (guarded vs unguarded, mild/light vs Pro super).

The Feather SS is affordable, but I know a few SR shavers that do not like it because of its safety features (plenty of threads and illustrations on the difference between DX and SS). The DX is a top choice but very pricey. You can get a brand new Kai Captain on ebay for $60-70 (message me if you want a link to the seller's store). I find mine to shave very similarly to the DX, while being priced like the SS. You can also consider the IBC razor (which accepts half DE, injector, or AC blades) for about $70. If you really want to try AC blade shavettes on the cheap, look for the Vincent VT1321 (~$13). Then get a variety of blades from try-a-blade.

That's my two cents

Don't forget the other shavettes. The Weck Sextoblade takes hair shaper blades or the Monsieur Charles that can take injector blades. Of all the shavettes I love the Weck the most.

https://www.amazon.com/MANION-Openi...ANION+Shaving&qid=1560547158&s=gateway&sr=8-8
The interesting thing about these is that they behave closer to a straight. The scales are bigger than your typical shavette and the 'blade' is kinda like a hollow ground. This really affects how you shave with them. Certainly worth checking out if you are interested in shavettes, cheap as they are.
It's nice to see this type of full-DE blade razor finally on Amazon so it's easily accessible. A bunch of us on the SABRE thread have been using them for years.

I wholeheartedly agree that the "hollow ground" profile makes the razor behave more like a fixed blade straight. It's still not very close to a fixed blade straight, it's just closer.

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

It's nice to see this type of full-DE blade razor finally on Amazon so it's easily accessible. A bunch of us on the SABRE thread have been using them for years.

I wholeheartedly agree that the "hollow ground" profile makes the razor behave more like a fixed blade straight. It's still not very close to a fixed blade straight, it's just closer.

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group
Is this an invitation to the SABRE group?:D

Even if post is notthe so recent I will reveal you the true. Half razor is not properly done for shavette, infact 95% of companies don't do half blades! But the real problem is the thickness of the blade is not projected to give power and comfort of shave so is very bad!!! But being a way economic to enter shavette has become a big business. So without understand this you will have to fight against a blade flexible properly done for safety razor. The only way is going for Kai or Feather razors with the right blad very confort every where especially in the nose area contrary to half blades,!. Intuition will not help you! Trust me!😁🙄😒 Half blades are horrible for shavette!
There are alternative? Yes!
For something best you should analyse a making real!🙄 straight razors with expensive( you should see videos of the process😒🚷) costs but today no more real artisans exist.Even if price are expensive you will find bad and expensive industrial or semiartisanal or artisanal razors. Why? Because is a old forgotten job, no one is able to do more! I will not tell you names but if you go on you tube you will find why these expensive razors are very bad!
Very nice aesthetically but very bad manufacturing!

Until you will buy one probably you will not understand why! They don't cut! Not trust onvideos where they used it!!!! Bye!!

Last edited:
Is the point of a shavette to mimic an SR? I vote no. I also vote for a quality half blade shavette. Nimble, sharp, easy to use, both shaving and loading.

The R28 Focus Slim Al! Not dirt cheap, but not expensive. Or you can spend a little more and get the same mechanism with a nice set of scales. The Superior Shave does a good job promoting this razor - check it out.

The last post there nailed it. Since this is your hobby, you're eventually going to have both. Your curiosity will ensure that. And all of us here will give you different opinions.

Myself, and I think more than half of us, quite like the feather artist club ss. I use their Professional blade.

The half blades have hard straight corners. Not terrible, but it makes it like a spanish point. You have to be more careful. The artist club blades have rounded corners so they are more forgiving, like a straight razor. Plus they are a bit sharper.

If you like shaving with straights, you may prefer the full blade of the artist club

Yeah, you'll end up with an AC/Kai anyway, they're much smoother shavers... If you want a single razor I'd just get an AC SS... Though you can get a DE shavette for 4 bucks if you want to get both.

Weck Sextoblade is terrific, too

Top Bottom