What's new

Heljelstrand shoulderless

Hello all.

Starting to look around for my first Heljelstrand.

Did they make any shoulderless ones?

I've seen some lovely french and spanish tips, but they all seem to have shoulders.

Thoughts appreciated.

aloha

They made one model, the No.16. it's rather rare. I thought I was the only one who had the thumb notch version of it, but then in saw a second one some time ago. Even if Heljestrand didn't make many of this type of razor it's a common Swedish razor model. E.A. Berg for instance made several versions of it in all sizes.

20190613_054942.jpg

@kohalajohn, Let me warn you about Polarbeard.....he is a Swedish razor pusher!!! I'm one of his victims.
$SAM_1241-2.jpg

They made one model, the No.16. it's rather rare. I thought I was the only one who had the thumb notch version of it, but then in saw a second one some time ago. Even if Heljestrand didn't make many of this type of razor it's a common Swedish razor model. E.A. Berg for instance made several versions of it in all sizes.

View attachment 990113

These beauties are among the best shavers. The #16 and the similar models will ruin you from any other shaver.

Ask me how I know?

SAM_1087~2.JPG

Arne puts the hell in heljestrand.

Unfortunately I have also read the thread about the number 16. Shoulderless, french point, thumb notch, super hard swedish steel. And one of them with ivory scales, purchased directly from the son of the Heljestrand company.

Last year was my time to obsess over Filarmonicas. I think this year may be the beginning of my obsession with Heljestrand.

Arne is the guilty one who got me hooked on them, but they sure are nice lady's that keep you on your toes.....

Arne puts the hell in heljestrand.

Unfortunately I have also read the thread about the number 16. Shoulderless, french point, thumb notch, super hard swedish steel. And one of them with ivory scales, purchased directly from the son of the Heljestrand company.

Last year was my time to obsess over Filarmonicas. I think this year may be the beginning of my obsession with Heljestrand.
@kohalajohn since you are looking for a Heljestrand I do hope that you don't mind me giving you some advice you haven't asked for. I just want to help you avoid the worst and most common mistake when it comes to buying Heljestrand razors. All Swedish razors are made of the same extremely hard steel, but they aren't immune against hone wear. A Heljestrand razor might seem to be in good shape, but still being worn out. Look at my virtually unused late version Heljestrand No.7 in the photograph. Like all Heljestrand razors (except for the No.16) the heel goes almost all the way down to the heel. So there's not too much blade to hone away before hitting the heel and thus finishing off the razor. So always make sure the the area I've marked with red looks like it does in this razor.

My second advice is to go for the ordinary full hollow 5/8 model (below) as your first Heljestrand. It was made with many model numbers, with or without "M.K" marking: 1, 3, 4, 7 and 8 over a span of more than 60 years. The best known version of it is the beautiful and very highly regarded M.K (Magnus Kindal) No.31. Regardless of model number it's the very same blade. If you see an unmarked regular Heljestrand it's almost always a full hollow 5/8 full hollow razor and that is an excellent razor.

I wish you the very best in your quest :001_smile.
20190613_190009.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Arne.

I look forward to this process.

I hope you don't mind if I ask further questions as I pursue this wonderful path.

Arne, does anyone grind away the shoulder? Turning it into a #16 would extend the life. But perhaps they depend on the shoulder for rigidity.

This is the brand I will be seeking next year, or as I get to see good offers for the pickings Thanks to a great Guy just above this post... In showing me the light Thank you Arne.....

This is the brand I will be seeking next year, or as I get to see good offers for the pickings Thanks to a great Guy just above this post... In showing me the light Thank you Arne.....
Hush Ian, you're ruining my hard earned reputation as the grumpy old bastard.
.... And thank you for your kindness:001_smile

These swedes definitely are spendy.
I always seem to come to the party after the collectors have driven up the prices.
After Filarmonica 14s
After air cooled Porsche 911s
And now after Heljstrand MKs

Oh well. I think I'll try to just buy one good Hel and try to stop there. That's what I did with my Fili No 14.

Top Bottom