What's new

Permanent mustache shadow.

I have pretty fine facial hair. I switched from my Norelco electric to DE about 6 months ago. I couldn't make sense of something: I felt smoother but it seemed like my facial hair was more visible. Someone posted some scanning electron microscope pictures of beard trimings from a DE vs. an electric. The DE were cut clean off to a point, like you'd cut a vine or sappling with a machete. The electric stuble had torn up, rough looking ends. The DE is going to look like a dark, perfect little circle, the electric is going to disperse the light and blend in better with your skin. Just the way it is. Don't know if this helps your situation but I hope it helps your understanding.

Scott

necro post, the reason you used to get clean mustache a year ago before you switched to DE is because most likely you used cartrige razors, cartrige razors indeed way closer shave than DE, since they pull the hair and cut it deep under the skin, the price is of course huge irritation and redness, unfortunately one can't have it all, and even in the most agressive DE's, it will cut you closer and smoother but risk higher getting red and bumpy

Are cartridge blades really so dull that the first one in a multiple is incapable of slicing through the whisker before the second blade gets there? Is the second one sharper so it can readily slice through the whisker that first blade's only able to snag and stretch?
dave

Are cartridge blades really so dull that the first one in a multiple is incapable of slicing through the whisker before the second blade gets there? Is the second one sharper so it can readily slice through the whisker that first blade's only able to snag and stretch?
dave

they are not dull rather than being positioned in a certain order, the first blade of the razor is positioned slightly higher than the rest and at a certain angle that will cause it to pull the hair call, they call it "Progressive Geometry", this effect is called Hysteresis, then comes in the second blade which is slightly closer to skin and cuts off the pulled up hair, should it miss it then the rest of blades will take care of it

I have a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow even with BBS.
Same here. Light skin, dark hair. My skin looks bluish or greenish after I shave even BBS. I just live with my genetics. Also, I wear a moustache anyway because I am a dad. It's the mandatory dadstache.

Just discovered this thread and you are now my people.

I have the same issue, can be 100% BBS and still have a noticeable shadow on my upper lip and chin. Only 36 though lol, so I have to wait a while to see if it helps when it gets grayed out. :001_unsur

I thought having a shadow was cool, I mean is like you are clean shaven, but people know that the genes for a badass are there!

Hello, I know this message is a bit late, but I thought I should reply anyway because I've had the same problem for many years, and I know this forum comes up prominently in Search results so alot of people will find it, and hopefully what I experienced can help others.

Indeed, for many years I was annoyed by the same problem - shave, and upper lip remains a dark shadow of an area, almost to the point where it looked like I hadn't shaved at all. In some lighting conditions it actually looked dark or even red, giving me an annoying mustache appearance even though I had just shaved. I tried everything, ATG/non-ATG, different creams, razors, electric razor, lighter shave, heavier shave, everything.

What fixed it for me was - surprise surprise - using ladies makeup, specifically Neutrogina Mineral Shears Buff 30, which fits my skin tone perfectly. In fact a small blending in the area of my mustache made it blend with the rest of my face skin tone, so well in fact that it looks like I have never had any hair growing in my mustache area at all. So that's it.

well there is NOTHING to be ashamed of....that's the way you will look. Maybe you might look OK if you grow, keep a stubble....so all looks the same...scruffy face....it's an OK look. You can use a Norelco one blade to keep it.... I did this for years!!! and not because I cared how I looked, but because I would get ingrown hairs.

So do not worry.... rock the look

Hello, I know this message is a bit late, but I thought I should reply anyway because I've had the same problem for many years...
Very interesting, I used to have that problem, too, before, well, you know...
zomb-1.jpg

What fixed it for me was - surprise surprise - using ladies makeup, specifically Neutrogina Mineral Shears Buff 30, which fits my skin tone perfectly. In fact a small blending in the area of my mustache made it blend with the rest of my face skin tone, so well in fact that it looks like I have never had any hair growing in my mustache area at all. So that's it.
Welcome to the forum, @Electric Octopus! That is a creative solution. Thanks for sharing!

As for me, I also have the perpetual moustache look. My solution was to grow an actual moustache and beard to cover it up. Problem solved! :001_smile

Top Bottom