What's new

A couple of re-knots

Picked up a couple new brushes (for me) to clean up and re-knot. The first was a Rubberset 200-5 (my second) and the second was an unbranded butterscotch. Neither was in rough shape so the initial clean up was fairly straight forward. Neither knot was worth keeping so I removed them in prep for their new companions. I chose a 30mm Maggard 2-Band for the Rubberset and a 20mm Maggard Silver-tip for the butterscotch. Now I just have to wait patiently for 24 hours for the glue to set and I can use them...

This is what they looked like before:
before.jpg

and after:

JMT_1828.jpg

Then Both of my 200-5s just becuase:

JMT_1829.jpg

Nice work!

I have become partial to the smaller knots. I still enjoy an occasional shave with a 24mm brush, but my daily brush is a 20mm.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Those look nice. So how do you do it? Cut the bristles, Dremel out the epoxy/glue knot, replace and epoxy back in? I’ve got one I need to do, just don’t have the knowledge yet.

Nice work!

I have become partial to the smaller knots. I still enjoy an occasional shave with a 24mm brush, but my daily brush is a 20mm.

I have a 16mm boar that I’m fond of. But I do love my 30mm too.

Those look nice. So how do you do it? Cut the bristles, Dremel out the epoxy/glue knot, replace and epoxy back in? I’ve got one I need to do, just don’t have the knowledge yet.

With the rubber-set brushes I found that just pulling the hair out with some pliers exposes the glued plug. That gives me a flat area to drill a large hole. After that I used a small wood chisel to break apart the old glue from the handle. Not sure if it’s the brightest idea but it works for me. After that, if I need to enlarge the hole I use a Dremel with a small sanding drum and open it up, test fitting as I go. After that it’s just a matter of building up a small shelf any way you can at the loft you want and flying it in. I typically fill the handle with epoxy if it’s hollow, and throw in some metal BBs for weight. This time I glued in with Silicone RTV instead of epoxy, just in case I ever want to use the knot in another handle.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have a 16mm boar that I’m fond of. But I do love my 30mm too.

With the rubber-set brushes I found that just pulling the hair out with some pliers exposes the glued plug. That gives me a flat area to drill a large hole. After that I used a small wood chisel to break apart the old glue from the handle. Not sure if it’s the brightest idea but it works for me. After that, if I need to enlarge the hole I use a Dremel with a small sanding drum and open it up, test fitting as I go. After that it’s just a matter of building up a small shelf any way you can at the loft you want and flying it in. I typically fill the handle with epoxy if it’s hollow, and throw in some metal BBs for weight. This time I glued in with Silicone RTV instead of epoxy, just in case I ever want to use the knot in another handle.

Sounds like something i can do! Thanks for the info.

Brushes-2.jpg

After a few uses they are blooming quite nicely. The butterscotch is my first silver tip, and I have to say I love it. A great face lather brush if I do say so myself.

When I re-knotted my 200-3, a 24mm knot fit pretty naturally. Is there that big of a size difference between the 200-3 and 200-5 that a 200-5 would take a 30mm?

BTW, I have a 30mm knot in a custom brush and I like it a lot.

When I re-knotted my 200-3, a 24mm knot fit pretty naturally. Is there that big of a size difference between the 200-3 and 200-5 that a 200-5 would take a 30mm?

BTW, I have a 30mm knot in a custom brush and I like it a lot.

From the research I did when I bought my first 200-5, the socket size of the 200-5 is about 28mm and the socket size of the 200-3 is only 24mm. I had to open the socket up to fit the 30mm knot, but that wasn't to much of a hassle for my dremel.

From the research I did when I bought my first 200-5, the socket size of the 200-5 is about 28mm and the socket size of the 200-3 is only 24mm. I had to open the socket up to fit the 30mm knot, but that wasn't to much of a hassle for my dremel.
OK, thanks!

Top Bottom