What's new

Rhyme or reason to 1911 mags

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Is there any rhyme or reason, or general compatibility pairings, when it comes to finding mags that work well with a specific 1911? Is it more about the mags themselves, or finding the right combo?

I believe many 1911 feeding problems stem from the mags feed lips. They are either don't have the correct width from damage or poor quality control from the start. I also believe that the shape of the lip compared to the bullet used is the source of some guys troubles.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice suggestions thus far, Gents. If it makes any difference, I have a wee bit of Sellier & Bellot 230gr and some Speer Gold Dot 230gr that I'll be using in mine to start with .

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice suggestions thus far, Gents. If it makes any difference, I have a wee bit of Sellier & Bellot 230gr and some Speer Gold Dot 230gr that I'll be using in mine to start with .

The Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. seem to work as well in mine as hardball, no matter the magazine. Just what I've seen in mine.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The feed lips of the magazine are the most important thing. There is even a gunsmithing tool specifically for reshaping the feed lips, probably only used on old GI mags. Also you can buy replacement magazine spring and follower (IIRC, from Wilson) and upgrade a plain jane magazine as long as the feed lips are good to go.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
None. My one loves the awesome Chip McCormicks ... the other, Kimber-only. Gawdalone knows why.

And never the twain shall meet. Nor any others work reliably, even good ones.

But 100% reliable if this is followed ...

AA

When I first started reading about CCWs I would see people ask about their new 1911 pistols jamming. It seemed the most common issue was cheap or factory mags. McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines were frequently recommended.

None. My one loves the awesome Chip McCormicks ... the other, Kimber-only. Gawdalone knows why.

And never the twain shall meet. Nor any others work reliably, even good ones.

But 100% reliable if this is followed ...

AA
+1

All 4 of mine like the cheap Chip Macs just fine. I got a nice discount on them for being military when I bought them too.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

When I had my milspec Springfield it ran flawlessly with any magazine I tried. I used factory, Chip McCormick, MecGar, Promag, and I had a bunch of old milsurp mags I had picked up for 5 bucks each. Never had a single problem any magazine or any ammo I used with it. Friends of mine who had much more expensive 1911's always seemed to have some issues until they found the right combination.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Talking about magazines...

During WWI France needed a steady and reliable supply of pistols and since France has a land border with Spain they turned that way for the 9mm Ruby originally designed by the company that later became Llama. Just as with the 1911 very soon demand outstripped supply and so manufacturers other than the initial company were tasked to make them. Pretty soon just about every manufacturer in the Eiber Region of Spain was making Rubys, all at the French Contract price, all using the exact same plans and drawing and mostly, all working reliably. But the biggest area of incompatibility was the magazines. Magazines made by one maker simply didn't work in another makers pistols.

Sound familiar?

Mag springs also make a difference with 1911 single stack mags. Too strong of a spring could slow the the slide speed down enough with weaker ammo to give issues. Too weak and the rounds won’t feed quickly enough.

I keep my “range” mags separate from my carry mags. For me Wilson ETMs and checkmate mags have worked very well. I’ve had issues with CMC 10 rounders in both a Wilson Combat and Les Baer. My carry mags are Wilson ETMs with the stronger flat wire spring. They’ve been loaded for over two years and periodically used and have never given me and issue with Federal HSTs.

+1 on Kimber mags, specifically the Kim-Pro's I run them in everything, from defensive to my very light loaded bullseye guns, never an issue.
If you are having "issues", there may be problems other than the mag.
Please let us know what problems you are having and this group can probably give you possible solutions to look at.
al in colorado

Wilson ETM
Chip McCormick Pro Mag
Tripp Power Mag

+1 re having separate range mags and carry mags.

The three brands/models above work well in many guns. I have used all three in high round count classes etc. My carry mags in my Kimber Series I are Wilson ETM.

IMHO and direct/vicarious experience, If you gun does not run reliably with 230g FMJ/and a 230 HP with a fairly round profile with one of those mags, presuming the gun has fresh springs (recoil 18.5 pds in a 5 inch all steel 1911) and is lubed, the problem is not the mags. I would then be looking at extractor tension/geometry and feed ramp, chamber issues. After that, I am outside of my lane and would sending the gun back to the factory or to a smith.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
If you are having "issues", there may be problems other than the mag.
Please let us know what problems you are having and this group can probably give you possible solutions to look at.
al in colorado

Thanks, Al. No issues at all. I didn't even own a 1911 when I posted this thread. I've read about and personally have seen 1911s malfunction due to mag issues. I was just trying to see what the science behind it was.

IMHO and direct/vicarious experience, If you gun does not run reliably with 230g FMJ/and a 230 HP with a fairly round profile with one of those mags, presuming the gun has fresh springs (recoil 18.5 pds in a 5 inch all steel 1911) and is lubed, the problem is not the mags. I would then be looking at extractor tension/geometry and feed ramp, chamber issues. After that, I am outside of my lane and would sending the gun back to the factory or to a smith.

Right on. Thanks for the troubleshooting breakdown. I'll keep it in mind if I end up having any difficulties.

Top Bottom