What's new

Fermentation Videos

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was browsing around looking for information on fermenting and came across this guy. Entertaining as well as educational. I'll be watching more vids by Brad, I'm cracking up watching...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like this a lot. I like Kimchi too. Time for another batch. Good now that it is warm outside as I think I will be sent outside to eat it as the funk factor is pretty serious. The last time I made it I had to set the jars outside on the grill of my bbq with the top down to keep the animals away. Brought it in after three days and put the jars in an oven pan. Juices will be liberated . . . depending how full you filled your jars. No Dikon radish or carrots??? Well lots of different takes on Kimchi.

Good stuff. I will make this and sour kraut at some point. I've been thinking about learning the fermenting process for a while now.

That guy at BA has some good videos. Picked up some tips from him learning sous vide.

Thanks for sharing.

once in a blue moon i make whole heads for stuffed cabbage rolls - it's easy but i always forget to do it on time.
I use those food safe buckets from Lowes, good for 4-5 heads. No comparison with store bought sauerkraut!
Here's the idea:

and, of course, stuffed cabbage rolls, a pain to make but you won't regret it!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I like this a lot. I like Kimchi too. Time for another batch. Good now that it is warm outside as I think I will be sent outside to eat it as the funk factor is pretty serious. The last time I made it I had to set the jars outside on the grill of my bbq with the top down to keep the animals away. Brought it in after three days and put the jars in an oven pan. Juices will be liberated . . . depending how full you filled your jars. No Dikon radish or carrots??? Well lots of different takes on Kimchi.

Not sure I'm ready for Kimchi yet...

Good stuff. I will make this and sour kraut at some point. I've been thinking about learning the fermenting process for a while now.

That guy at BA has some good videos. Picked up some tips from him learning sous vide.

Thanks for sharing.

If you explore his channel he's got a lot of interesting recipes. I'm definitely going to make that fermented pineapple drink and his mustard recipe. His corned beef brisket looks great too.

once in a blue moon i make whole heads for stuffed cabbage rolls - it's easy but i always forget to do it on time.
I use those food safe buckets from Lowes, good for 4-5 heads. No comparison with store bought sauerkraut!
Here's the idea:

and, of course, stuffed cabbage rolls, a pain to make but you won't regret it!

I picked up some cabbage at the market today, starting a batch of homemade sauerkraut tomorrow. My first try at it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sauerkraut is wonderfully easy to make. I've done it many times, now, and I have a batch that will be ready in a week or two.

Kimchi isn't much more difficult, and it's about time I worked up another batch. I've been threatening to for at least a couple years.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Not sure I'm ready for Kimchi yet...

If you explore his channel he's got a lot of interesting recipes. I'm definitely going to make that fermented pineapple drink and his mustard recipe. His corned beef brisket looks great too.

I picked up some cabbage at the market today, starting a batch of homemade sauerkraut tomorrow. My first try at it.

Same here. Homemade Sauerkraut has all the beneficial bacteria important to our gut health. Yogart in the supermarket is no bueno. Its pasteurize. Which kills all the good bacteria....so whats the point of that? Make your own...and thats on my list.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Same here. Homemade Sauerkraut has all the beneficial bacteria important to our gut health. Yogart in the supermarket is no bueno. Its pasteurize. Which kills all the good bacteria....so whats the point of that? Make your own...and thats on my list.

Yogurt is massively easy. Where I am quite a bit of what is in the supermarket is active. Easiest for me is smearing a four cup measuring cup with the active yogurt. Scald milk and bring down to temp and pour into the measuring cup and put it in a nice warm spot. For me . . . I have an over the range microwave that has lights underneath . . . those lights keep the inside of the microwave a perfect temp. If I put the stuff into the microwave first thing in the morning the Yogurt is ready by the evening. I think the magic temp to bring the milk down to is under 180 F. (and keep it somewhere 110 or a bit more)

There is likely a thread somewhere here of me doing this.

There was one massive fail several years back. We were taking the shortcut of heating the milk in a Pyrex measuring cup. Yogurt is a bit sour in its natural state so after scalding we would put a couple of tablespoons of sugar in. So it happened one time that my wife spilled a little bit of sugar onto the stove top. While wiping the spilled sugar away she touched the Pyrex with the edge of the kitchen wash cloth.

BANG! The Pyrex exploded into thousands of pieces and milk when all over the place. I called in to work that I'd be a bit late.

Yogurt is massively easy. Where I am quite a bit of what is in the supermarket is active. Easiest for me is smearing a four cup measuring cup with the active yogurt. Scald milk and bring down to temp and pour into the measuring cup and put it in a nice warm spot. For me . . . I have an over the range microwave that has lights underneath . . . those lights keep the inside of the microwave a perfect temp. If I put the stuff into the microwave first thing in the morning the Yogurt is ready by the evening. I think the magic temp to bring the milk down to is under 180 F. (and keep it somewhere 110 or a bit more)

There is likely a thread somewhere here of me doing this.

There was one massive fail several years back. We were taking the shortcut of heating the milk in a Pyrex measuring cup. Yogurt is a bit sour in its natural state so after scalding we would put a couple of tablespoons of sugar in. So it happened one time that my wife spilled a little bit of sugar onto the stove top. While wiping the spilled sugar away she touched the Pyrex with the edge of the kitchen wash cloth.

BANG! The Pyrex exploded into thousands of pieces and milk when all over the place. I called in to work that I'd be a bit late.

Haha, that reminds me of an episode from 15 years ago. We just moved into our new (old) home, and I had just purchased a new toy, a creme brulee torch.

After a few drinks, I was playing with the torch and decided to see if I could pop a stray peppercorn that escaped onto the glass cook top.

It happened like a basketball dunk video where you see the backboard explode. That was the deciding factor to begin a major kitchen remodel, lol.

Looking back, im kind of glad it happened cause it got my butt into gear to modernize the house. A process which is very much in effect to this day.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you have an Instant Pot, making yogurt is ridiculously easy.

I was on my phone and in a bit of a hurry when I put that last post up, or I wouldn't have been so abrupt. Yogurt really is easy with the Instant Pot. It even has a yogurt program. You run the first part of the program to scald the milk. Then, cool the milk back down to about 115F (only takes a few minutes or so in an ice bath or not much longer in just cold water). Then, pitch the culture, let it hydrate for a minute or two, stir it in, and run the second part of the program. The Instant Pot holds everything at the proper incubation temperature for the time you set. Removing the lid does not disturb the incubation program, so you are free to check on the progress whenever you like and learn what sort of incubation period produces the sort of yogurt you want.

I like a long, 11-12 hour incubation, so I usually do it overnight. I'll start the scalding after supper, and then the culture can do its thing while I sleep. Pack it up in one-pint containers, pop them in the fridge, and I'm good to go for a good month or two. Half-gallon batches work just fine for me.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I made Brad's (video host in the OP) mustard recipe using my leftover sauerkraut juice. Holy cow that stuff is awesome. I'm never buying mustard again. I plan on making different variations of mustard now, another rabbit hole me thinks...

Top Bottom