What's new

Gillette New

B

Barney14

If i were to take a Gillette New back to brass is there a laquer that can be sprayed on by myself to stop the brass tarnishing.
Or could i just leave it uncoated and just polish every now and then.

Have a look at this thread....you can spray clear lacquer on it...but I opted
to coat with renaissance wax. I dont trust myself with these sprays as you need
quite a safety apparatus and a boxed off area to do this. Many guys on B&B are
great at DIY bit not me.

Putting the new into a NEW

B

Barney14

Have a look at this thread....you can spray clear lacquer on it...but I opted
to coat with renaissance wax. I dont trust myself with these sprays as you need
quite a safety apparatus and a boxed off area to do this. Many guys on B&B are
great at DIY bit not me.

Putting the new into a NEW

Thats fantastic, will use the wax, if i get a result half as good as yours i will be very pleased.

Thats fantastic, will use the wax, if i get a result half as good as yours i will be very pleased.

Just a small point...the wax doesn't add to the shine....it just acts as a seal against the elements,
although I don't think it's 100% impervious....needs to be re-applied every few weeks or so.
I think when you wash and wipe the razor, sometimes the wax coating can wear off slightly.
And any sort of alcohol solution will remove it completely.
The Brass-O is what really made the NEW shine. Hope this clarifies.

B

Barney14

Just a small point...the wax doesn't add to the shine....it just acts as a seal against the elements,
although I don't think it's 100% impervious....needs to be re-applied every few weeks or so.
I think when you wash and wipe the razor, sometimes the wax coating can wear off slightly.
And any sort of alcohol solution will remove it completely.
The Brass-O is what really made the NEW shine. Hope this clarifies.

Thats for clarifying what to do, can't wait to get started.

B

Barney14

Going to try some local companies to see what they can do, nickle would be nice.

You can do it yourself with great results I have done a few of mine a Fatboy Executive back to gold

20170212_142332.56847

you can buy electroplating kits and do it yourself have a look on youtube mine was done with a electroplating kit from Gold Solutions here in the UK and I have been well happy with it

I made a small tank for mine but you have options like brush plating

B

Barney14

you can buy electroplating kits and do it yourself have a look on youtube mine was done with a electroplating kit from Gold Solutions here in the UK and I have been well happy with it

I made a small tank for mine but you have options like brush plating

Incredible, will look into this, many thanks

Not a problem Sir!!! if you get stuck please feel free to send me a msg and I will help all I can, I even gold plated a straight razor for the Gold Dollar competition 2 years ago

Gold6.jpg

B

Barney14

Just as an update, i polished up the New and used Renaissance wax it looks great but then i bought one described as little or no use, i have applied Renaissance wax to help preserve it, photos below.

Many thanks to all, especially for the heads up about Renaissance wax.

20190621_184248-575x610.jpg
20190621_184224-575x1022.jpg
20190621_184208-575x1442.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It came up really well, congratulations on the effort that you put it. Well worth it.

Top Bottom