What's new

Restoring this painted handle, help please!

So, I have recently been given my wife’s grandpa’s first shaving brush he ever purchased. He bought it in Portugal more than 50 years ago. I would love to restore it and wanted to reach out to the pros for any helpful tips! I have read through the forums and watched restoration videos for the knot removal. I also have a friend who is an engineer (has done lots of woodworking, but no brushes) and has lots of the right tools for the job who said he would be happy to help.

One question I have is, what is the best sealant or finish for the painted handle?

Also, is there a big risk in trying to widen the hole for a 24mm knot? Or should I just try to clean it up and keep it at 22mm?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_5049.jpg
IMG_5050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm not sure on the painted portion, but it looks like the knot may be set in a metal cup like a Semogue. I'd look for something that would fit in there. I'd be afraid to remove the cup and risk damaging the paint. Just my two cents. Great heirloom. I am a bit of a purist and would look for a similar looking knot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think you’re right Keendogg, I have another Semogue and noticed that as well. I like the idea of keeping it close to the original, so I’ll find a nice 22mm knot to put in it after I get the knot out. Now I need to figure out how to best deal with the painted handle. Thanks for the replies so far and the kind words!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I think you’re right Keendogg, I have another Semogue and noticed that as well. I like the idea of keeping it close to the original, so I’ll find a nice 22mm knot to put in it after I get the knot out. Now I need to figure out how to best deal with the painted handle. Thanks for the replies so far and the kind words!

Is this brush a Semogue as well? Sorry of I missed that. And, no problem.

Is this brush a Semogue as well? Sorry of I missed that. And, no problem.

It’s not a Semogue, honestly I have no idea what it is. Just looks hand made, and no worries. I’d like to restore it more for sentimental value :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Maybe find a pro to restore it. No offense to your skill but thats what id do.

Maybe find a pro to restore it. No offense to your skill but thats what id do.

No offense taken, and not a bad idea! I just like the idea of doing the restore, so I'm trying to take it slow and do it right. I don't think I'll get disowned if it isn't perfect . . . well I hope not any way.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No offense taken, and not a bad idea! I just like the idea of doing the restore, so I'm trying to take it slow and do it right. I don't think I'll get disowned if it isn't perfect . . . well I hope not any way.
keep us posted with developments

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have you tried using it as it is? It does not look too bad. I would give it a spa and then try it out.

Top Bottom