What's new

Best Maple Yet ?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I feel like a Treasure hunter or a Miner
Finding new veins of precious Gems or something
This one has it all for Me , spalting ,wormholes and really clean Maple grain
I am sorry if I post to many Handles but I am gearing up for the Sue Auction and trying to have a few really nice Handles for it.
Best Maple Yet.jpg
Best Maple Yet.jpg2.jpg
Best Maple Yet.jpg3.jpg
Best Maple Yet.jpg4.jpg
Best Maple Yet.jpg6.jpg

Attachments

• Best Maple Yet.jpg8.jpg
    Best Maple Yet.jpg8.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 8
Holy smokes. They just keep getting better. I don't know how you are going to top this one. But with your talent I have no doubt that you will. That is an incredibly beautiful brush handle, In every aspect.

And I don't think anyone could tire of seeing new handles from you. Unless they are jealous of your talent.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
And I don't think anyone could tire of seeing new handles from you. Unless they are jealous of your talent.

Thanks Greg
The Tree is just amazing, full of so many different types of Grain.
I have a big slab that looks like it has a bunch of curly grain and I have to figure out how to cut it up and show off how pretty that is.

Nice grain there!
Quarter sawing what you have will yield the best of grain patterns be it tiger or curly maple.
Are you drying this stuff out prior to handles?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Nice grain there!
Quarter sawing what you have will yield the best of grain patterns be it tiger or curly maple.
Are you drying this stuff out prior to handles?

The tree fell last October and we cut some of it up into small pieces that are manageable for me and have been in the house air drying.
Then what I have been doing is make blanks and let them dry . I have roughed out some bowls that are real wet and I will let them go for a few more months.
The brush blanks dry out quicker because of the size . Seems to be working fine .

Definitely gonna have to get my meds problems fixed before the auction. If you are doing these brushes have a feeling you are going to raise a lot of money. Think everyone will be bidding on them.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That is a stunner! Screams badger knot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I never tire of seeing what you create. That Maple tree just keeps on giving.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hole is drilled for 26mm ,had to take out a few tool marks with a slight turn of the head.
Notice the handle behind the other one
Amazing that it is part of the same piece of wood
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190605122204943_COVER.jpg

That handle is a beauty. Amazing work, as usual.

That 8x12x30 slab looks mammoth... How much workable pieces do you get out of that? At first glance I'd think a ton, but there has to be residual waste from, between, and among each and every piece? No?

Hole is drilled for 26mm ,had to take out a few tool marks with a slight turn of the head.
Notice the handle behind the other one
Amazing that it is part of the same piece of woodView attachment 987784
it certainly is hard to believe that's one continuous piece avoid the next handle looks absolutely amazing to that looks like it will probably be a 22 to 24 mm knot on the smaller one.

a lot of careful cutting to get the right pieces out of that grain pattern but you are definitely the man for the job.
I look forward to seeing what you carve out of that.

Top Bottom