What's new

Teflon, is it all that?

I used to cook with Teflon pans because that's what was sold as proper, and then a couple of years ago we got a Parrot. Burnt Teflon can kill a bird very quickly.

We got rid of the pans and I started cooking using only SS, carbon (black) steel and cast iron. I found that Teflon was completely superfluous and only useful for cooking when poor technique was involved (i.e., not first heating the vessel then adding the fat and then allowing that to heat before adding the protein). Granted, there is a seasoning of the metal that is involved.

Fast forward to shaving, and I noticed that many blades are PTFE coated, and I'm wondering if this is really needed for people with proper technique? What are your thoughts? Look back at history.

Obviously there are differences, but are teflon-coated pans in any way analogous to blades where poor technique is concerned?

Yes, the fumes from overheated PTFE are known to be lethal to birds. It's not usually an issue, but bad things can happen.

My wife (never that I could do this) left a pan heating on the stove a few years ago and forgot about it. There was a noxious smoke floating around our kitchen for a bit. Thank God this is before we had the parrot. We've seen many reports of people unintentionally killing their pets in this manner.

I used to cook with Teflon pans because that's what was sold as proper, and then a couple of years ago we got a Parrot. Burnt Teflon can kill a bird very quickly.

This is well known. Birds are allergic to Teflon fumes, but birds are not humans. Besides, in order to make Teflon on a pan turn into fumes, you have to get it REALLY hot (like well over 500°F).

When you shave with a Teflon coated blade, you aren't breathing in Teflon or taking it into your body in anyway. And even if some did "seep in" somehow, it is not harmful to humans. About 50 years of scientific research is pretty conclusive on that.

Teflon is perfectly safe for use in blades. PTFE is actually used in some surgical procedures as graft material. However, I think that it is largely a marketing gimmick when it comes to shaving blades. In my mind, a good slick lather and maybe a good preshave is all you need.

Teflon is perfectly safe for use in blades. PTFE is actually used in some surgical procedures as graft material. However, I think that it is largely a marketing gimmick when it comes to shaving blades. In my mind, a good slick lather and maybe a good preshave is all you need.

I agree, and teflon is not a concern for me in a shaving blade whatsoever. I only stopped using where potential fumes from overheating in the kitchen are a slim possibility.
Just wondering if it's really beneficial for blades or just an old "next greatest thing" in shaving that was just hype. I don't see any straights touting the benefits of PTFE although thats anachronistic.

I agree, and teflon is not a concern for me in a shaving blade whatsoever. I only stopped using where potential fumes from overheating in the kitchen are a slim possibility.
Just wondering if it's really beneficial for blades or just an old "next greatest thing" in shaving that was just hype. I don't see any straights touting the benefits of PTFE although thats anachronistic.
I think that in principle it seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it could actually make your shave worse...since Teflon is hydrophobic it repels water and water-based substances. Could it possibly be reducing the lubricating effect of water and soap? I don’t know. It would be interesting to see the Teflon’s interaction with the soap and water in the instant before the whisker is cut. Of course that would require a microscope and a slow motion camera.

Probably a gimmick as far as razor blades are concerned, imho. Seems like kind of the DE version of Fusion with heat, vibration, and swivel.

As a cook, I banned Teflon from the kitchen years ago. No reason to use it when carbon steel and cast iron (a) are better in every respect and (b) have no uncertainty around health risks, which ptfe might.

Probably a gimmick as far as razor blades are concerned, imho. Seems like kind of the DE version of Fusion with heat, vibration, and swivel.

As a cook, I banned Teflon from the kitchen years ago. No reason to use it when carbon steel and cast iron (a) are better in every respect and (b) have no uncertainty around health risks, which ptfe might.
Nothing beats some well-seasoned cast iron:chef:

PTFE coated blades are not new. Pretty sure there were patents filed for it in the 1960's if not earlier. And there's been several filed in the past 20 years for various techniques of putting the Teflon on the blade.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
As to the price, I take it that it an industrial report meant for businesses that need such knowledge, so the price makes sense. Even though I suspect many here would love to read it, we are not the target audience by a long shot.

Samurais should have used butter knives because their technique was solid? :laugh:

Teflon and any other coating serves to make the blade edge slice hair with less drag, as well as make blades rust resistant. It has nothing to do with your technique AFAIK.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. I guess also the DLC coating Gillette uses is a reason I get many months out of a cart now. Back when I started using back in 2010 could only get a week maximum out of the Mach 3. Or it could be the better technique and prep from also using DE that are helping me! :)

Top Bottom