What's new

PIF - Guess how long for me to 3017 my P.160

I've used the EJ Super Badger a few times now. Very soft and comfortable. It definitely needs the two o-rings Sam put on there. It would be too floppy otherwise. But as it stands, it"s quite nice.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've used the EJ Super Badger a few times now. Very soft and comfortable. It definitely needs the two o-rings Sam put on there. It would be too floppy otherwise. But as it stands, it"s quite nice.

How do you like the Mama Bears soap?

How do you like the Mama Bears soap?

I haven't tried that yet. I started 3017ing a puck of vintage Williams back on March 1, took a 1-day break from that to use B&M 42 on Towel Day, and still have what looks like another month or so before it ends. The Mama Bear smells nice, though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I like them quite a lot! :001_tongu

Me too! :tongue_sm

I haven't tried that yet. I started 3017ing a puck of vintage Williams back on March 1, took a 1-day break from that to use B&M 42 on Towel Day, and still have what looks like another month or so before it ends. The Mama Bear smells nice, though.

I'm really enjoying mine. Its hard and seems like it will last a long time. Its also incredibly slick. Using my GEM Bullet Tip its already beat my CRS creme in several shaves. I'm putting it against Wholly Kaw or Wickham 1912 next with my MMOC but I expect the same outcome. If you value slickness over all else as I do, its a clear winner.

In performance its closer to PdP than any other soap I have.

First shave with the Mama Bear's 'Oakmoss and Lavender' today. Maybe the first time I've used a glycerin soap.
I like the scent. The lather seems a bit gelatinous, if that makes any sense. I'll get a full read on the soap as I plan on using it all month.Soap Of The Month Club (SOTMC)

I ended up PIFing the Mama Bear's, less about two weeks worth, to a friend that was using bar soap and had never tried shaving soap.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@bluesman 7 , I'm not sure if that's a good thing ("Here, try this soap that I like") or a bad thing ("Hmmm, who can I dump this on to?") :lol:

Definitely a 'here, try a good soap' thing.

The soap went to friend in the black smithing organization that I belong to. A year or two ago, I had loaned him a straight and strop to try, but he did not like the experience. Then at a 'Hammer In' that I was at over the weekend, he was watching me giving someone else a straight shave, a first for me, but I digress. He was amazed at the amount of lather that I was producing and the time spent face lathering my subject. That's when I found out that he had been using bar soap and that the sight of actual lather made from a puck, or stick in this case, was a new concept to him. He was asking where he could buy a real shave soap. I thought It would be a nice gesture to send him a puck and the Mama Bear's just had a small amount sliced off of one side, so still in most of it's wrapper and looking good.

I really enjoyed the one shave with the p.160 I was right int he middle of killing off a Razorock P.160, so I took a day off to try my spoils. It was quite fantastic, but man are the scents different. I assume the vintage once smelled similar to the RR version. I had some of the vintage soft stuff and it smelled like the RR so I was a bit surprised when this one didn't smell the same.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have no idea how old the P.160 Tipo Duro is, but even the Tipo Morbido was slightly more delicately scented than the RR product (and WAY more subtle than Cella).

Used the B&B Essential this morning. Had a bit of lather dissipation for the 3rd pass, but the brush is totally usable. I'm going to enjoy feeling this brush break in shave by shave. Thanks for the great PIF Sam. It will be a while before I try the Mama Bear's as I'm finishing up a sample of DR Harris Arlington.
So, about 40 shaves in and this brush feels great. Not much change in the last 2 weeks. I expect any improvement from here to be unrecognizable do to the slowness of the change coupled with the fact that it is hard to imagine it getting much softer.

So, about 40 shaves in and this brush feels great. Not much change in the last 2 weeks. I expect any improvement from here to be unrecognizable do to the slowness of the change coupled with the fact that it is hard to imagine it getting much softer.
A bit more than another month on my B&B Anniversary Boar and it is noticeably softer than a month ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol, I FINALLY found this thread after @rockviper had alluded to it in another thread. You are all blessed, you winners! Awesome PIF that will live on in the annals of shavedom. I kinda miss this PIF!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm still lovin' the Mama Bears soap too. It's good stuff with one caveat; You may not like your other soaps as much after using it a while. Its killing my PdP. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing lol.

Top Bottom