What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Thanks. This is one I'd really like to get honed.

When I would find a DE or SE, I'd run home, clean it up, throw a blade in and shave with it that night. Straight razors for me are like giving a kid a new toy and telling him he can't play with it. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to get myself set up.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Very good day at the Wednesday flea market this morning. One of my regular sellers held these back for me. He knew this was something special. A pair of Wade & Butcher’s in a clean double coffin. One in horn and the other in what appears to be tortoise with inlays. In very good condition for there age

F6441F77-242F-4EF5-B2CC-A868ED7B17EB.jpeg
312FDDE0-5AD0-43FF-BAB1-A85E11C817F9.jpeg
BE4550B1-94A0-4F59-AB02-6E3AF0A83FF5.jpeg
6120761D-187C-4855-A6EC-99DD03B8AEEF.jpeg
F15244D0-2C4F-4A24-9590-D57A645D142E.jpeg

Went back today got these two. Glad I did because the vendor was there. Not only did he gave me a big discount, he took my name and number and told me he had 3 or 4 really nice ones at home. He said he would send me some pictures to see if I was interested.

This wedge looks like an old one, maybe from early 1800.
20190523_180909.jpg

20190523_180916.jpg

The second one is a Simmons Hardware. I believe it's an early one, pre Keen kutter.
20190523_181723.jpg

Went back today got these two. Glad I did because the vendor was there. Not only did he gave me a big discount, he took my name and number and told me he had 3 or 4 really nice ones at home. He said he would send me some pictures to see if I was interested.

View attachment 983448
View attachment 983449

The second one is a Simmons Hardware. I believe it's an early one, pre Keen kutter.
View attachment 983450

Very nice. That Sheffield looks great.

View attachment 983448
View attachment 983449

View attachment 983450
Wow!!! Dude your hitting the jackpot!! Great scores and contact!!

View attachment 983448
View attachment 983449

View attachment 983450
Very fine razors especially the second. Would it be rude of me to ask how many you've got by now?

Very fine razors especially the second. Would it be rude of me to ask how many you've got by now?

Not at all Arne. I had some spare time this evening to counted them and I must say it's more than I thought.

First though, a little about my vision so I might not appear to be too much of a hoarder. When I start something, I usually dive in head first, not knowing how deep the water is or which way I'm going to swim, I learn as I go.

When I got involved with straight razors, I was surprised at how many different types and manufacturers there were and the time span that they were made. After my first find, I found another and another, they seemed to be everywhere and most of them less than a good cheeseburger.

Not knowing what to look for, I purchased a few that I shouldn't have but that's okay, I'll count it as a learning experience.

For me, buying a 100+ year old straight razor at a flea market is a lot different than going down to the local hardware store to buy a new screwdriver. The screwdriver will always be there, when they sell out, they'll restock with more. When the straight razor is gone, it's gone. I may never have the opportunity to buy another one just like it and until I know for sure what I want, that might have been the one I was looking for.

So, during my quest to find the perfect straight razors (for me), I will do as I did with my unwanted safety razors. I passed along over 100 DE, SE, and injectors to friends and family, then sold the rest. The way I see it, as long as I buy a razor in good condition at a good price, I'm basically just holding them for the next person.

Ok, after the final tally, I have acquired 135 straight razors since mid January and all of them from local flea markets and antique shops.

My only regret is that I'm not able to shave often enough to use all of my wonderful Double edge razors also. :001_302: :a17: :a29:

Top Bottom