What's new

Post a photo of you having a smoke...

F0B1DEDF-1B0F-4EC7-8DCE-3E20CF0BABAD.jpeg

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
A nice, cool spring evening in Oklahoma. Hope you all have a great evening.

Attachments

• 113ED227-688B-47B1-A506-041DDAEBC523.jpeg
    113ED227-688B-47B1-A506-041DDAEBC523.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 15

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
That’s one pipe I wish I picked up when they had the blow out of them. That and the Drew Estate Pipes.
It definitely looks good, and it's not a bad smoker, but it's got its problems. First of all, it gurgles. Granted, I can make any pipe gurgle, but this one seems to be uniquely suited to it. That metal "shank" (for lack of a better term) is very effective at transferring heat away from the smoke (and into your hand, if you're not careful), and letting the moisture condense. So you have to be a far better smoker than I to avoid gurgling. The other problem, the major one as far as I'm concerned, is the poorly designed army mount stem. There's very little contact between the stem and the shank. So when I first pick up the pipe, the stem is usually loose. I snug it up and go about my smoke. But by the end of the smoke, one of two things usually happens. Best case, the bowl comes off in my hand. Worst case, I move my head and the bowl drops on to my lap. During most of the smoke, the stem is nice and snug. I don't know if the shank expands from the heat and grips it more tightly, then releases as the smoke thinks out, or if the expansion slowly pushes the stem out. Either way, while I don't really regret buying it, I wouldn't do so again.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It definitely looks good, and it's not a bad smoker, but it's got its problems. First of all, it gurgles. Granted, I can make any pipe gurgle, but this one seems to be uniquely suited to it. That metal "shank" (for lack of a better term) is very effective at transferring heat away from the smoke (and into your hand, if you're not careful), and letting the moisture condense. So you have to be a far better smoker than I to avoid gurgling. The other problem, the major one as far as I'm concerned, is the poorly designed army mount stem. There's very little contact between the stem and the shank. So when I first pick up the pipe, the stem is usually loose. I snug it up and go about my smoke. But by the end of the smoke, one of two things usually happens. Best case, the bowl comes off in my hand. Worst case, I move my head and the bowl drops on to my lap. During most of the smoke, the stem is nice and snug. I don't know if the shank expands from the heat and grips it more tightly, then releases as the smoke thinks out, or if the expansion slowly pushes the stem out. Either way, while I don't really regret buying it, I wouldn't do so again.

I hear ya. Still a nice pipe!!

I saw the July 10th photo and was about to reply with "Jason! What happened to the beard?!" Then I saw yesterday's photo. :) Nevermind.

Top Bottom