What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I am trying to decide which ones I should keep and try using. I have ZERO experience with straight razors and not real sure where to start. There is 1 that I can fin no information on at all...the bottom right. It is a Russell Barber Supply Co. Made in New Orleans.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I purchased a few straights today...now what do i do with them?
proxy.php

Nice score! They all look pretty good but if I had to choose one, I'd have to agree with Arne. I like the old ones.

The one that Arne picked out is a really nice find.

The two top ones on the left and the top one on the right will be good starters. The second one from the top on the left would be my "first shaves" choice. I also like the lines of the last razor on the left.

The second one from the top has a round toe. This means you will be less likely to dig in with the tip. This one has a 5/8s blade. 5/8s is a great size to begin with. It also looks like it will need little aside from honing to get it ready for use.

The one that Arne picked out is a really nice find.

The two top ones on the left and the top one on the right will be good starters. The second one from the top on the left would be my "first shaves" choice. I also like the lines of the last razor on the left.

The second one from the top has a round toe. This means you will be less likely to dig in with the tip. This one has a 5/8s blade. 5/8s is a great size to begin with. It also looks like it will need little aside from honing to get it ready for use.
Thanks for the advice. I am not afraid of honing...as I have done many knives for chef school, but I would imagine that straights need much finer work for finishing and I have never used nor do I have a strop.

Here's one of those "I bought for a special reason" razors. Well two reasons in this case plus a "the price was right" for good measure. The razor was manufactured less than fifteen miles from my home in Manchester, NH. The ebonite scales are in fine shape and if all else fails they will be fitted with a different blade.

Research turned up a story I hadn't come across too. Herman Greager, the maker, patented the process used to manufacture this blade in 1898. The blade was made longer then the finished product would be. The extra length at the toe was cut off after tempering. The patent claimed this created a "more even hardness" across the length of the cutting edge.

DSCN6207 - As Found.jpg
Full Patent Picture.JPG

Thanks for the advice. I am not afraid of honing...as I have done many knives for chef school, but I would imagine that straights need much finer work for finishing and I have never used nor do I have a strop.

Razor honing and knife honing are different. There is lots of info on this topic in the B&B honing threads. Lots of videos out there on YouTube too.

I've become a fan of modern lapping films for creating the edge and a pasted balsa strop for maintaining the edge. Again there is lots of info on these topics within this site.

Have Fun!

With my birthday coming up in a few days, wife gave me some money and said "buy yourself something nice.
henckels.jpg

This will be my first Henckels.
Looking forward to it arriving.

View attachment 982106 Just picked up this NOS Filarmonica 12, now can’t wait to get honed and try.
That's a Beauty!
Would look really nice sitting next to my 14 and 13.:001_rolle
Hope you enjoy it.

So I purchased a few straights today...now what do i do with them?
proxy.php

Well Sir.....although those are all nice razors none of them are suitable as a starter razor....if you would kindly send them to me i will return a more beginner friendly one to you in return :001_302::001_302::001_302::a1::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Joseph must have been a popular name in the 1800. I have a Joseph Smith & Sons, a Joseph Allen & Son, a Joseph Wostenholm & Sons, a Joseph Elliott, and now I have a Joseph Rodgers & Sons Cutlers to Their Majesties. On the blade it says The Rodgers.

What would be the time frame for this one? Mid 1800 to 1891?

20190519_183934.jpg

Cutlers for their majesties is phrased a specific way which is a clue to what year it is...but i don't recall specifically. Depending on how it is worded is who was reigning. Also if you look at the symbols it's supposedly going to give a hint but i can not ever remember how that goes either .

Just won an auction I forgot I bid on. it’s ok though, 6/8 full wedge wade and butcher. Marked Sheffield England so its after 1890 right?

Cutlers for their majesties is phrased a specific way which is a clue to what year it is...but i don't recall specifically. Depending on how it is worded is who was reigning. Also if you look at the symbols it's supposedly going to give a hint but i can not ever remember how that goes either .

Ha, we'd make a good team. I remember about as much as you do. :001_cool:

Here's a close up of the tang. I just noticed that it has England on it so that would probably put it after 1890.

Screenshot_20190519-212213_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom