What's new

RazoRock SLOC DE is an excellent razor

Nice Picture, I do need to get a good one posted. Have you tried any of the Yaqi doc razors/heads? I have seen some info that they made me the same exact head, just different companies. I won't know for sure until I receive them in the mail hopefully sometime soon.

Based on my personal inspection, the Yaqi and RazoRock doc heads are identical. I never gave them a head-to-head shave on the same handle, but I there is no reason for the heads to work differently. A RazoRock SS handle and that Yaqi shorty are very different!

Here is a Yaqi v PAA comparison shot. Not a lot of difference, but the very grippy PAA handle shades it to a win for me.
034C1F34-264C-4B94-A7D8-4038056EB825.jpeg

Based on my personal inspection, the Yaqi and RazoRock doc heads are identical. I never gave them a head-to-head shave on the same handle, but I there is no reason for the heads to work differently. A RazoRock SS handle and that Yaqi shorty are very different!

Here is a Yaqi v PAA comparison shot. Not a lot of difference, but the very grippy PAA handle shades it to a win for me.
View attachment 977330
The only PAA DOC I have tried was the Ascension model in the aluminum. It was way too light, as it was primarily Aluminum and had no heft, was left with a very rough shave.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Yaqi head and SLOC are identical, including being manufactured by the same Chinese or Indian company.

The only PAA DOC I have tried was the Ascension model in the aluminum. It was way too light, as it was primarily Aluminum and had no heft, was left with a very rough shave.

The Ascension head is entirely different as well, with its deep blade bend adjustability feature. I only have the Alu Ascension, not enough love from me to justify getting the SS version.

I think 4 decades of using an Old Type and a Merkur 36 slant prejudiced me against both light aluminum and long/heavy SS handles.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice Picture, I do need to get a good one posted. Have you tried any of the Yaqi doc razors/heads? I have seen some info that they made me the same exact head, just different companies. I won't know for sure until I receive them in the mail hopefully sometime soon.

I've not, but I've heard very good things about them. I believe they're the same (at least one of them is) as the SLOC, but I'm no expert and have no data except what I've read around this place.

upload_2019-5-2_17-11-10.png

So, do you own homework unless you want to be sent to see Big Nurse.

Happy shaves,

Jim

After reading the threads on the SLOC, I am interested. I plan to purchase. Also, checked out Aliexpress for Yaqi head that many mentioned. Curious to compare the heads and try both.
On Aliexpress, how do you know which ones are the Yaqi that is similar to the SLOC?
Is Aliexpress a reliable site to purchase items?

After reading the threads on the SLOC, I am interested. I plan to purchase. Also, checked out Aliexpress for Yaqi head that many mentioned. Curious to compare the heads and try both.
On Aliexpress, how do you know which ones are the Yaqi that is similar to the SLOC?
Yes - Ali Express is reliable, but you will wait 1-3 weeks to receive your order via ePacket.

You want the "Mellon" head, named after Joe Mellon. Here's the patent, from back during the war (WWII):

US2374612A - Safety razor - Google Patents

Consider getting the head in Nickel, and you can pair it with the 70mm "Piccolo" styled Nickel-over-Brass Handle. It's a beautiful looking combo, that greatly belies it only costing a sawbuck.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the Yaqi site after reviewing the Yaqi DOC head options that they had available. I ordered three of their DOC head complete razors, and for the money, these are excellent purchases. The SLOC has become my favorite razor and after shaving with these Yaqi razors, they seem to give the same great, efficient shave that I love with the SLOC. They appear to be visually close, if not the same head as the SLOC. It took my Yaqi order about two weeks to arrive, but I had no hangups with it, so would highly recommend ordering a few. Also, when I ordered, if you spent $70 or more, then you got 40% off of your total plus free shipping, so I picked up 3 razors for around $50, great deal.

Yes - Ali Express is reliable, but you will wait 1-3 weeks to receive your order via ePacket.

You want the "Mellon" head, named after Joe Mellon. Here's the patent, from back during the war (WWII):

US2374612A - Safety razor - Google Patents

Consider getting the head in Nickel, and you can pair it with the 70mm "Piccolo" styled Nickel-over-Brass Handle. It's a beautiful looking combo, that greatly belies it only costing a sawbuck.
Thank you for the response. Very helpful.

I pulled the trigger on the Yaqi site after reviewing the Yaqi DOC head options that they had available. I ordered three of their DOC head complete razors, and for the money, these are excellent purchases. The SLOC has become my favorite razor and after shaving with these Yaqi razors, they seem to give the same great, efficient shave that I love with the SLOC. They appear to be visually close, if not the same head as the SLOC. It took my Yaqi order about two weeks to arrive, but I had no hangups with it, so would highly recommend ordering a few. Also, when I ordered, if you spent $70 or more, then you got 40% off of your total plus free shipping, so I picked up 3 razors for around $50, great deal.
Good tips. Thanks!

The PAA nickel plated DOC with its negative blade exposure is very different to the Razorock/Yaqi SLOC.

Those photos I posted didn’t address the two heads’ blade hold/presentation at all, so here are a couple that show the differences you are pointing out. The blade is a Nacet, same blade loaded in both razors, snugged down fully.
Yaqi SLOC:
1E2C5EC2-5366-4C49-A296-1D057D4C50C4.jpeg

PAA nickel DOC:
A93D2748-E68F-4A22-A80A-34501EAD7B4F.jpeg

The PAA bends the blade significantly more, a feature that is even more pronounced in my PAA Alu Ascension. This can be used to keep tension on the blade while varying the blade gap by slightly loosening the handle. Not a feature I ever found useful... Also the PAA has a slight notch in the baseplate teeth which opens up the blade gap.

I looked at blade exposure beyond the plane defined by the tips of the cap and baseplate teeth. I used backlight and my machinist’s square (my best rigid plane), as well as a straightedge and a set of these handheld iPad photos. I think both heads have negative blade exposures, with the PAA slightly more negative. Now I want to shave with these two head-to-head, plus try them with a Kai. But it’s Micromatic Monday... Science marches on, by Wednesday at the latest.:sorcerer:

Side note: one of the junior researchers on the team reported that the RR SLOC I ‘loaned’ him clogged. Shaving conditions: in the dorm showers using only body soap. Not sure how anyone with an under-21 beard can clog a razor without using any lather, but whatever.

Side note: one of the junior researchers on the team reported that the RR SLOC I ‘loaned’ him clogged. Shaving conditions: in the dorm showers using only body soap. Not sure how anyone with an under-21 beard can clog a razor without using any lather, but whatever.

... Kids nowadays don't even know how to use matches...

I'm pretty sure he clog it "shaving" some other areas lol.

I tried the Yaqi SLOC v PAA DOC in a half-and-half shave, sharing a relatively fresh Nacet. I continue to enjoy both razors. The PAA was louder and noticeably more efficient in touching up the trouble spots. Otherwise a dead heat.

063C3925-0B97-448E-8808-750D391BC4E2.jpeg

68D5AB6B-051A-4C69-AEB3-709600EB67DA.jpeg

Next, a Kai to liven things up?

I had been reading virtually all positive reviews of the SLOC and since I wanted to get another RR handle anyway (I don't really like the TI handle that came with my Mamba70), I pulled the trigger on the SLOC with a Barberpole handle. What a great price for a razor...$20 with a 316L stainless barberpole handle...let's hope it shaves well for me.

Top Bottom