What's new

Old Man Rant

Pale text on white backgrounds.
Who can possibly think this is good website design?
Don't they want us to be able to read anything?
While we're at it, make it small too.
:thumbdown

Bought a pair of shoes today. Credit card reader at the store...well, let's just say the instructions and numbers were very, very small. Very.

Wheelchairs.

I feel all but the last 5” of your pain.

Theres a large chain store by me and it has 3 cash machines. One is obviously for limited and wheel chair mobility folk but the other 2 are only a foot or so higher up. Weird

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Cash machines may not be extinct but i never use them due to the sky high fees they charge.

I want to see phone booths return. Call them privacy booths, and make them accepted places to carry on cell phone conversations.

My friend, at 15 I spent many an hour in a phone booth chatting up girls. :)

Alas, if phone booths still existed, someone would use them as porta-potties!

While I'm at it, new cars with no spare tyre just canned goo and a small pump, but the manufacturer offers as an optional extra a spare with wheel brace and jack.

At 68 I am out of the loop on the latest in child rearing. Apparently it is okay now to carry your wee one on your hip until they are seven or eight, as I witnessed recently at the farmers market. And it is fine to let kids ride in the shopping cart until eleven or so, too. Ah, and no rush to deprive a child of a pacifier; saw a six year old sucking on one just two days ago.

Get off my lawn!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
At 68 I am out of the loop on the latest in child rearing. Apparently it is okay now to carry your wee one on your hip until they are seven or eight, as I witnessed recently at the farmers market. And it is fine to let kids ride in the shopping cart until eleven or so, too. Ah, and no rush to deprive a child of a pacifier; saw a six year old sucking on one just two days ago.

Get off my lawn!
I had a great uncle that came home from school and breast fed. I know, TMI.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Got one that also includes hipsters
Setting up the bike rack we got last year installed in the hitch. Hipster how to video goes on and on about how easy it is. Drop in the bolt and tighten you are done. Oh the included wrench doubles as a bottle opener. The fork that holds the bike. Also a bottle opener. So easy just crack open your craft beer and oil your beard.
Ok back to my world on planet nothing is easy. Drop in the bolt. Nope. The bolt head gets hung up on the metal surrounding where it’s meant to drop in. Can’t tighten it as the head just spins because it’s too high. Not dropping in. After reading the directions and looking at my hipster guide a few times I figured the only solution was giving that bolt some help dropping in. Yes it was hammer time! Yes it then dropped right in. Of course The wrench is large and there isn’t enough room to make a full rotation. Tighten it so easy as 1/4 turns go.
Not so easy.

One of the joys of getting old is grumbling about stuff. And there is so much to grumble about. Politicians, potholes, rap music, the price of flank steak, and of course young people. Today, however, I shall shine a light on all those cashiers who don't know how to give a customer change. You know the drill. You buy a candy bar for $1.05. You give the cashier a twenty. And then she hands you a receipt that is the size of the Constitution as it includes coupons for stuff you dont want along with a wad of greenbacks and a pile of coins. You can then stuff it in your pocket, hoping all is correct, or hold up the line to separate the change from the paper money and make some effort to see if indeed you have $18.95.

What's your rant for the day?

Seeing that you are also from Michigan...

The state with some of the nicest people who would never think twice about offering help to a total stranger yet turn into rude and aggressive a-holes the moment they get behind the wheel. I've lived in MI for almost 30 years now and the state drivers had changed so much in my living memory... from being generally polite and thoughtful on the road to becoming worse than NYC and somewhere on par with Boston and Atlanta drivers. Heck, I've just done a trip to New Jersey and NY State and honestly, they are better / more polite drivers than people around Metro Detroit...

Top Bottom