What's new

How much for soap?

What's the most $ you are willing to pay for soap?

• As cheap as possible

• Under $10

• Under $20

• Under $30

• Sky is the limit

Results are only viewable after voting.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Anyone getting bubbly lather from MdC?

Nope, not in over 2 years of using MdC. I view MdC as one of the easiest to lather soaps I've ever tried (I own Maca Root, wasn't impressed, gave it to my wife...) and one pretty much has to go out of their way IMO to mess up the lather of MdC. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Nope, not in almost 3 years of using MdC. I view MdC as one of the easiest to lather soaps I've ever tried (I own Maca Root, wasn't impressed, gave it to my wife...) and one pretty much has to go out of their way IMO to mess up the lather of MdC. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Seems like an act to prove a point. I doubt it's anything malicious but it's a bit over dramatic.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Seems like an act to prove a point. I doubt it's anything malicious but it's a bit over dramatic.

And I am not accusing him of doing any such thing. But I've tried many, many soaps and creams in the dozen or so years of wet shaving and while MdC is easy to criticize, poor lather is a bit hard to believe.

He has probably 300+ soaps accumulated.

And by coincidence, he just happens to always have Maca Root "ready for action" on his counter and the other 300 stashed away somewhere. It's not impossible. But i am suspicious by nature and age...

Maybe there is something odd and he is just the American equivalent of MdL? Because this was his 1st pass lather with MdC (in the non failed version):

h.png

And quite frankly, that, for me is a very poor lather. It's the kind of lather that i get sometimes in the 4th pass, when the brush doesn't have enough soap left and i just make an acceptable lather like that, for the touchups (it's little soap with more water). For a lather of the 1st pass (that's the 1st pass in his shave), this is pityful. I can see the colour of his cheeks through the lather.

So maybe his problem is the lathering technique and i was just oversuspicious.

That lather he got from MdC looks dismal. I'd have to go out of my way with MdC to get poor results like that.
+1.

I just finished shaving with the Fougere and had to keep adding water my lather was so thick and creamy.

I honestly have lost all respect for that guy for a multitude of reasons.

Using the cream he gets thicker lather since creams are easier to load product. It's possible.

I am not familiar with american soaps, so i went to his video gallery to find something more familiar to me. And i did. TOBS:

b.png

This is his 1st pass with TOBS. I am sorry, but you can't blame any soap based on his reviews. I can't sit for hours to watch all his video gallery, but this is like the "anti-MdL". The exact opposite of our MdL. MdL makes plaster lather, this one makes evanescent lather. I don't know if he just doesn't load enough or if he pours too much water, but that's not normal lather for TOBS! And i bet i have much harder water than he does!

I can build 4 times better lather than that with the EUR 1.30 Figaro croap.

I am not familiar with american soaps, so i went to his video gallery to find something more familiar to me. And i did. TOBS:

View attachment 981742

This is his 1st pass with TOBS. I am sorry, but you can't blame any soap based on his reviews. I can't sit for hours to watch all his video gallery, but this is like the "anti-MdL". The exact opposite of our MdL. MdL makes plaster lather, this one makes evanescent lather. I don't know if he just doesn't load enough or if he pours too much water, but that's not normal lather for TOBS! And i bet i have much harder water than he does!

I can build 4 times better lather than that with the EUR 1.30 Figaro croap.

But if he's used to thin lather, why did it suddenly became a problem?

BTW some shavers consider that lather preferable.

But if he's used to thin lather, why did it suddenly became a problem?

BTW some shavers consider that lather preferable.

I think he overdid it this time with MdC... The better question would be: Why didn't he just make 10 more swirls in the jar, instead of throwing the towel immediately and just run to Maca root...

And some shavers consider plaster lather preferable too! :001_302:

I think he overdid it this time with MdC... The better question would be: Why didn't he just make 10 more swirls in the jar, instead of throwing the towel immediately and just run to Maca root...

That's what he advises beginners in his tutorials. Don't shy to get back to the puck.

Top Bottom