What's new

THE THIN BLUE SMOKE THREAD XI

Mac and cheese just came off the grill.
P1090832(r1rs).jpg

Sale on pork tenderloin, picked up two 5#'s at $1.99/#. Herb rub smoked with cherry wood fire. Wrapped at 135* with apple juice and fig spread.

IMG_1129.JPG

Tom

A few days ago I did a 11 lb Brisket overnight on my pellet grill. The beauty of a pellet grill is you can just let it go un-attended for a long stretch of time and not have to worry about adding wood/lump charcoal or manually maintaining a temp.

My running temp was 225F-ish. The pellet grills can jump around a bit and easily have 50 degree swings, but most of the time it holds near what you set the dial to.

The Rub was Kosher Salt, Seasoning Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Paprika, Red Chili Flake.

I added a small water pan and an "A-MAZE-N" smoke tube to the smoker (I'm a firm believer in both)

I let the Brisket go for a full 13 hours unwrapped, occasionally spraying it with Water & Worcester (mixed 50/50)

After pulling the Brisket I wrapped it in foil and placed it in a Coleman Cooler for 3 hours

I gotta say, this was one tasty Brisket! The bark was incredible... thick and crispy! I usually wrap all my Briskets, but after this last one, I may never wrap again unless I'm seriously pressed for time. I was so excited, I totally forgot to snap some pics!

Anyways, I thought I'd share :)

A few days ago I did a 11 lb Brisket overnight on my pellet grill. The beauty of a pellet grill is you can just let it go un-attended for a long stretch of time and not have to worry about adding wood/lump charcoal or manually maintaining a temp.

My running temp was 225F-ish. The pellet grills can jump around a bit and easily have 50 degree swings, but most of the time it holds near what you set the dial to.

The Rub was Kosher Salt, Seasoning Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Paprika, Red Chili Flake.

I added a small water pan and an "A-MAZE-N" smoke tube to the smoker (I'm a firm believer in both)

I let the Brisket go for a full 13 hours unwrapped, occasionally spraying it with Water & Worcester (mixed 50/50)

After pulling the Brisket I wrapped it in foil and placed it in a Coleman Cooler for 3 hours

I gotta say, this was one tasty Brisket! The bark was incredible... thick and crispy! I usually wrap all my Briskets, but after this last one, I may never wrap again unless I'm seriously pressed for time. I was so excited, I totally forgot to snap some pics!

Anyways, I thought I'd share :)

Really going to have to consider a pellet grill.

At Lowes they sell the 'Pit Boss' Pellet Grill (model 820D) for ~$500. It's basically a big Traeger with some extra features and can go higher in temp (500F). Highly recommended. I've had 3 co-workers check mine out and all 3 ran out and bought one

I don’t have a Pit Boss, But have 2 other pellet grills and love them. I have several friends that have the older style Pit Boss from before they added the sear zone and everyone has been happy with them. I also would be interested on your thoughts of the direct flame cooking.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Grillin' today. Boneless chicken thighs, poblano and jalapeno peppers, Meyers jalapeno and cheese sausage and grass fed beef burgers.

20190519_145254.jpg
20190519_145304.jpg

Thanks for the info. I see it has the capability to sear meets, too. How good is it for steaks, etc?

Yes, it has a sliding grate on the bottom that allows the steaks to be exposed to the open flames through a series of vents.

To be honest, I've never even tried it... It does such a good job without opening that grate, I've never bothered messing with it.

The Pit Boss can get plenty hot... and fast! I've seen mine hit 500 degrees in a little over 10 minutes. It's heats up as fast as a good propane grill and obviously way quicker than charcoal.

Unlike charcoal, there is very little mess to clean up. Those hardwood pellets burn up almost completely. After a 13 hours slow cook, there is only a small pile of pellet dust left. I try to make it a habit of using my shop vac to clean it out about every 5th time I use the grill.

Like I mentioned, every person I've showed this grill to has gone out and bought one. It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Some of the COSTCO's up here are cleaning out the PitBoss pellet grills for $597.

I don't have room for another smoker, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a set it and forget it smoker . Got 2 pork butts on the horizontal today and I'm tending to it every hour. :001_huh:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Some of the COSTCO's up here are cleaning out the PitBoss pellet grills for $597.

I don't have room for another smoker, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a set it and forget it smoker . Got 2 pork butts on the horizontal today and I'm tending to it every hour. :001_huh:
Hey, BBQ is art.

Hey, BBQ is art.
Yup. I Iike the old school ways and seem to be moving backwards in all my interests and techniques.

A couple small 3lb butts for pulled pork on right now, using Oak.

IMG_20190520_111031.jpg

On a side note Aaron, I couldn't be happier with my DIY 1/4" steel tuning plates. This is after 3hrs, multiple logs, it varies up to about 20* difference but most times it's around 10* from end to end.

This mod has made me very happy I decided to keep the smoker.

IMG_20190520_113311.jpg
IMG_20190520_113938.jpg

Last edited:
I'm jealous of the pork, that you're BBQin' and the steel plates.
Pork is done. Best pork yet, done on horizontal smoker. These 3lb boneless butts took about 7hrs. My confidence just jumped using this smoker. One got pulled and one will probably get freezer wrapped.

Juicy, colorful, pulled nicely. We left in larger pieces on purpose.

IMG_20190520_165456.jpg
IMG_20190520_170015.jpg
IMG_20190520_170319.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Top Bottom