What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

Ok gents it has been a busy weekend for me but that hasn't stopped me from sneaking in my shaves. I am on brush #4 now. I started off with the Maggard Razors Black & White 22mm. This being my first go with synthetics the first thing I noticed was how much water they hold. I had to figure that out and adjust my technique for whipping up a good lather but I think I finally got there. It was a good shave overall. I think the brush was a little too soft for my liking. Here is a pic of the lineup. Merkur 34 the cream was called caffeinated shaving cream from Target. More to come gents!

20190510_070118.jpg

Ok gents it has been a busy weekend for me but that hasn't stopped me from sneaking in my shaves. I am on brush #4 now. I started off with the Maggard Razors Black & White 22mm. This being my first go with synthetics the first thing I noticed was how much water they hold. I had to figure that out and adjust my technique for whipping up a good lather but I think I finally got there. It was a good shave overall. I think the brush was a little too soft for my liking. Here is a pic of the lineup. Merkur 34 the cream was called caffeinated shaving cream from Target. More to come gents!

View attachment 980857

Love that Arko stick in the background!

20190511_091100.jpg
20190513_192143.jpg
2nd & 3rd shaves
Muhle silvertip v1
Zenith TS 505AK
Both done with the Merkur and
Proraso green.

Both of these shaves left me with a little redness and irritation. (I am blaming the blade). As for the brushes again I thought the Muhle was a bit too soft. I really liked the stiffness of the Zenith a lot better. Reminded me more of the Escali badger that I normally use. Getting a bit better with the lathers also. I will report on brush#4 tomorrow. Stay tuned!

View attachment 981084 View attachment 981085 2nd & 3rd shaves
Muhle silvertip v1
Zenith TS 505AK
Proraso green.

Both of these shaves left me with a little redness and irritation. (I am blaming the blade). As for the brushes again I thought the Muhle was a bit too soft. I really liked the stiffness of the Zenith a lot better. Reminded me more of the Escali badger that I normally use. Getting a bit better with the lathers also. I will report on brush#4 tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Great stuff Bryan! Thank you so much for your reviews!

View attachment 981084 View attachment 981085 2nd & 3rd shaves
Muhle silvertip v1
Zenith TS 505AK
Proraso green.

I know this is a bit off topic, but what the stainelss Razer with the short open comb that you posted in the picture?

You're welcome. They've got a lot of safety razors on this site I had never heard of before until I joined. I think some of them change handles too which makes them harder to identify.
I noticed a lot of guys just refer to model number of the razors and I find myself trying to figure out the brand

I noticed a lot of guys just refer to model number of the razors and I find myself trying to figure out the brand

Yeah that's totally accurate. Razors like the R41 have such a reputation that few people include the manufacturer, which would be Muhle. There used to be a great database in the wiki section of the old site. I don't know if it made its way to the new site.

A guide would be helpful, but I am sure I wouldn't look them all up anyway

Has anyone tried the Charcoal Goods synthetic brush that they can comment on? I have a Parker synthetic for about $25 that I have used for several years and like it a lot. Wondering if it is worth spending the money on the CG synthetic?

Shave #4

RazoRick Plissoft
Gillette Tech
RazoRock lavender soap

Probably the best shave yet. Still a little thin on the leather and this brush was a little soft. But when all was said and done it was a nice smooth shave. I really liked the feel of this brush in my hand though. Good weight and shape handle. I am loving this box!

20190515_064845.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #5

Crown King Checkmate
Gillette Tech
TOBS Avocado

This thing was a monster of a brush! Almost felt like I should have held it with two hands :302:. Good shave overall. I think the knot was a little too big in proportion to the handle. A little bit soft again had to work hard for the lather but good peaks. Stay tuned for Shave #6!

20190517_064612.jpg

Shave #5

Crown King Checkmate
Gillette Tech
TOBS Avocado

This thing was a monster of a brush! Almost felt like I should have held it with two hands :302:. Good shave overall. I think the knot was a little too big in proportion to the handle. A little bit soft again had to work hard for the lather but good peaks. Stay tuned for Shave #6!

View attachment 981565

Yup, that brush is HUGE! LOL

Shave #6 Another monster.

Stirling Kong
TOBS Avocado
Gillette Tech

I loved the knot on this brush. It was really large and soft and fanned out nicely on the face. It created another great lather almost like a super lather. I was not a big fan of the handle though. The lines were a bit rigid in the hand and I prefer something more contoured. Still loving this box though and the opportunity to try all these brushes.

20190516_065532.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #7 New Favorite

Omega Hi-Brush
ARCO shave stick
Gillette Tech

OK I think this has become my new favorite. I love the wood handle and the shape, and how it feels when your holding it. The knot is a bit more "scratchy" but I don't mind that so much. Made a great lather with a few shreds off the ARCO stick into my bowl. This was a really comfortable shave. Of course we were on an out of town weekend trip so that always helps you be more relaxed.

20190518_110553.jpg

Top Bottom