What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Not the usual MMOC, today I reached back further (though in truth with a 1912 who knows when it was made?) with a British EverReady Chain Link. Always a nice shave ...

View attachment 980615

I always wonder when I pull one of these out why the Brit ER's came with two "New Blades" holders, sans the "Used Blades" versions used on the MM's with similar cases ..

I really like that case (and the razor)!!!

Gorgeous Clog-Pruf and that wooden handle on the boar is amazing!!!

SOTD MMMonday - MMOC looking for a good time

Another rush out the door, up at 5, on the road by 7, so this time it is “Shave way before noon, post barely before midnight”.

1 GEM flipped in the 5 buck user-grade MMOC recently found in the wild, my first/test shave on this razor
2 TSS boar
3 Williams Mug

A fine, fast SAS in under 5 minutes. No issues at all, just way too fast for a top quality shave.
59BE167A-5446-42D1-AE42-BDD5D0E42773.jpeg
2CE35429-335B-4830-A882-5D550DF94364.jpeg
DC4C8E8B-2CB4-46AA-ADED-FF2C0F9CE83E.jpeg

I grabbed this razor in the wild planning to pass it along and introduce someone to the joys of the best TTO, the Micromatic, in its finest incarnation, the MMOC. This particular user grade razor has a smooth TTO mechanism, fine blade bed and comb, but a little plating loss/light corrosion on one side of the cap.

My current thought is to organize a pass around on this thread, so that those benighted souls without access to the king of the Micromatics could give one a whirl. I don‘t know if there is any B&B policy on pass arounds, but I thought it could work like this:

Any B&Ber interested could PM me. I would collect a few member IDs, randomize the list, and ship the razor to the lucky SE fan at the top of the list, along with the member ID list. The receiver could try the MMOC out, hopefully post their thoughts to this thread, and then PM the next shaver and ship it to that member, along with the list. Once my list is exhausted, it would be up to the member with the razor to figure out what happens next.

Am I supposed to make a vague threat of bad luck to anyone who breaks the chain?

So, unless this is a really dumb idea, I will polish the cap a little, disinfect it, and await some response. I (and this MMOC) are probably both to cheap to ship beyond CONUS. It’s still Monday here in the PNW of the USA, and it’s Monday tomorrow on this thread. If you want to try out an MMOC, let me know.

SOTD MMMonday - MMOC looking for a good time

Another rush out the door, up at 5, on the road by 7, so this time it is “Shave way before noon, post barely before midnight”.

1 GEM flipped in the 5 buck user-grade MMOC recently found in the wild, my first/test shave on this razor
2 TSS boar
3 Williams Mug

A fine, fast SAS in under 5 minutes. No issues at all, just way too fast for a top quality shave.
View attachment 980645 View attachment 980646 View attachment 980647

I grabbed this razor in the wild planning to pass it along and introduce someone to the joys of the best TTO, the Micromatic, in its finest incarnation, the MMOC. This particular user grade razor has a smooth TTO mechanism, fine blade bed and comb, but a little plating loss/light corrosion on one side of the cap.

My current thought is to organize a pass around on this thread, so that those benighted souls without access to the king of the Micromatics could give one a whirl. I don‘t know if there is any B&B policy on pass arounds, but I thought it could work like this:

Any B&Ber interested could PM me. I would collect a few member IDs, randomize the list, and ship the razor to the lucky SE fan at the top of the list, along with the member ID list. The receiver could try the MMOC out, hopefully post their thoughts to this thread, and then PM the next shaver and ship it to that member, along with the list. Once my list is exhausted, it would be up to the member with the razor to figure out what happens next.

Am I supposed to make a vague threat of bad luck to anyone who breaks the chain?

So, unless this is a really dumb idea, I will polish the cap a little, disinfect it, and await some response. I (and this MMOC) are probably both to cheap to ship beyond CONUS. It’s still Monday here in the PNW of the USA, and it’s Monday tomorrow on this thread. If you want to try out an MMOC, let me know.

It’s a very generous idea @Tanuki .

Quick check in. Yesterday while doing some yard work witch is related to the chicken coop and green house, I found a Phoenix nest!
On another note I will be using my Gem Jr. Bar for my next shave. The razor I pair with it depends on when I receive my most recent acquisition.

20190514_105425.jpg

For today's Friday Gemonday shave as promised I used my Gem Jr. Bar my recent acquisition has not yet arrived so I paired the junior bar with my Schick Hydro Magic.

Hot shower and Noxzema then bloom water and Proraso white preshave.
Gem jr. Bar gem ss ptfe 5th flip
Schick hydromagic can't remember how many shaves. Love both these razors. And they handled 5 days growth with grace and ease.
Dragonsblood mixed with Cella with added glycerin
Two band badger.
Witchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash them Proraso white cream aftershave.
Results very close very comfortable shave.
I think it would be rated DFS.

20190517_153650.jpg

And this is why they are called lather catchers.
20190517_185243.jpg
20190517_185310.jpg

For today's Friday Gemonday shave as promised I used my Gem Jr. Bar my recent acquisition has not yet arrived so I paired the junior bar with my Schick Hydro Magic.

Schick hydromagic can't remember how many shaves. Love both these razors. And they handled 5 days growth with grace and ease.
Two band badger.

View attachment 981516

View attachment 981517 View attachment 981518

Five days growth????? What’s going on here???:a29:

Remodeling an old shed into a chicken coop, been super busy and didn't have much reason to shave.
No time to shave I know that's crazy.

Flintstone65

Two band badger.

View attachment 981516

View attachment 981517 View attachment 981518
Love, Love, LOVE a lather catcher shave -- and pairing it with a Schick only makes the shave better!!! Great setup and thanks for sharing!!!!!

As it is Saturday, I hope folks will both take notice and inspiration from your Friday-GEMonday shave as Micromatic Monday approaches!!!! :a50:

I'm still trying to decide whether it will be a Micromatic Monday (with my MMOC) or a GEMonday (with my GEM Jr Bar) -- or perhaps I'll go "all in" and use both!!!!

Have you guys given any thought to your Monday shave? If so, please share!!!! :a21:

Love, Love, LOVE a lather catcher shave -- and pairing it with a Schick only makes the shave better!!! Great setup and thanks for sharing!!!!!

As it is Saturday, I hope folks will both take notice and inspiration from your Friday-GEMonday shave as Micromatic Monday approaches!!!! :a50:

I'm still trying to decide whether it will be a Micromatic Monday (with my MMOC) or a GEMonday (with my GEM Jr Bar) -- or perhaps I'll go "all in" and use both!!!!

Have you guys given any thought to your Monday shave? If so, please share!!!! :a21:

I vote you use both.

Flintstone65

I vote you use both.
Okay, you talked me into it -- both it is!!! So I'm going with a GEM Junior Bar Lather Catcher with a longish wooden handle and a GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

I've made my decision (with the help of my friend), now what say you other shavers? What will your Micromatic Monday / GEMonday be???

A Jr Bar and a Contour — now that’s a GEM shave!!!

It would be cool to have the first and last style Gems I believe the first would be the Gem Zinn what would be the last.

View attachment 982042 View attachment 982043 View attachment 982041 I just won a "bumpless" MMOC. These were the early models View attachment 982041 if I remember where the two sided blades were employed.

I have both MMOCs they are great shavers.
I like the patina on yours.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 982042 View attachment 982043 View attachment 982041 I just won a "bumpless" MMOC. These were the early models View attachment 982041 if I remember where the two sided blades were employed.
Very reasonable looking razor for it's age, I won one on _Bay also and it was caked with a dried out resin from soap or pre shave oil.
It took some major cleaning to get it close to were I wanted it(it's the only razor I boiled 4 times to loosen this resin). I really enjoy my bumpless Micromatic and one of the first mass produced TTO razors in America razor history.
Have some great shaves!

Very reasonable looking razor for it's age, I won one on _Bay also and it was caked with a dried out resin from soap or pre shave oil.
It took some major cleaning to get it close to were I wanted it(it's the only razor I boiled 4 times to loosen this resin). I really enjoy my bumpless Micromatic and one of the first mass produced TTO razors in America razor history.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks for the reply. May have overpaid $9 plus shipping ....lol!! Hard to believe such a fine razor remains affordable.

I’m curious if the finish remains .

Last edited:
Top Bottom