What's new

American Safety Razor Dating Chart - Gem, Ever Ready, Kampfe Star

Great work. All it needs now is some pictures of each example on the timeline.

:a47::a46:
That would need a dedicated web page, sort of a "Mr.SERazor"
A titanic task is you ask me

I'm currently working on a similar Autostrop/Valet dating chart

Not really most of these could found on a single trawl across ebay at any given time. Easier way is for user submitted pictures. When I have some time I'll post some pictures to get that rolling.

I mean, to post a picture for every model or set a web page or even a blog would be more suitable. I think a Forum thread it would be a little dispersive. But surely it can be done.

I mean, to post a picture for every model or set a web page or even a blog would be more suitable. I think a Forum thread it would be a little dispersive. But surely it can be done.

I suppose but this could also be a staging thread for another thread, wiki, blog, etc. After that pictures are collected and posted.

To start on pictures.

gcp.jpg
Clog Pruf on the left
Clog Pruf peerless on the right

gge.jpg

Guiding eye Flying wing Bullet Tip Micromatic

First ever Gem, the 1898 "Zinn Gem"
1898_Gem#1.jpg

1909 Kampfe Bros/Star "Convex"
1909_Star_Convex#1.jpg
1909_Star_Convex#2.jpg

1913 Star "SS No.1" with the "Old reliable" stainless steel handle
1913Star SS No1.png
1913Star SS No1#2.jpg

1919 Star "No.4" with star-ornated top lid
Star Number Four 1919_#1.jpg
Star Number Four 1919_#2.jpg
1919-StarSafetyRazorCorpBrooklyn.jpg

1917 Star "Super Six" ("little lid-less lather catcher")
Star_Supersix#1.jpg
Star_Supersix#2.jpg
Star_Supersix#4.jpg

Last edited:
Something that shouldn't exist. A Gem 1914!
Here with the same Star branded razor. I believe those were promotional razor ("test outfit") made in 1921 to promote both the new Gem "Double Life" and the Star "Cru Steel" razor blades. The razors were "lidless" to better show the blades.
Gem1914VSStar1914.jpg

1913 Star "Cru Steel", the first Kampfe/Star razor to use a "ribbed-back" blade
1913_Cru Steel 3.jpg
1913_Cru Steel 2.jpg
1913_Cru Steel 1.jpg
1913_Cru Steel 4.jpg

Last edited:
30202168_1.jpg

The elusive Ever-Ready 1909. It predates the later Ever Ready 1924.
Ever-Ready 1909.JPG
Ever-Ready-New 1909.jpg

The same razor in the Double Special Outfit
Ever-Ready Double Special 1909.JPG

A rare "American Safety Razor Corp." 1914 next to an Ever Ready 1924 "Shovelhead"
Ever-Ready-1914_VS_1924#1.jpg

A 1922 Ever Ready "Sedan" with "hexagonal handle" (model 1914 'little lather catcher")
ever-ready-sedan.jpg

A 1924 Ever Ready "Touring"
ER_Touring1924.jpg
1930 Ever Ready New Improved
Ever-Ready-New Improved.png

In 1933 Ever Ready ceased the US production of the New Improved, still they were selling in 1934 as per the NRA logo on the box
1933_Ever=Ready_NewImproved_NRA.jpg

Some nice vintage gadgets:
An Ever Ready tin blade bank
blade_bank-ever-ready.jpg

An Ever Ready "Kutter". It works with a single edge blade. It can also be used as a cigar cutter. Quite a sharp little box opener if equipped with a GEM PFTE!
Ever_Ready_Kutter#2.jpg

Now, what I think is the most beautiful "1912" ever produced:
1953 Ever Ready "Chromium Strop Outfit" AKA "1912 Sunray"
sun-ray set3.jpg
sun-ray.jpg

The above Sunray is property of user @pjgh. I can't give the due credits to many of the pictures because I have them saved in my HDD since some time and I can't remember where I took them. I apologize with the owners and I hope they don't get angry at me. After all, it's all for the knowledge. :07:

@Ron R that's not a Star handle, at least I never saw a picture of a Star with the "round lined handle".
It was a common handle used for Damaskeenes and the early 1912 Gems Deluxe.
I'm 90% sure yours is a #4 with a mismatched handle but 1919 was also the year of the incorporation of Star into the American Safety Razor Corporation.
It could be that they were all produced in the same Brooklyn plant (while the company headquarters were chartered in Virginia, razor and blade production remained in Brooklyn until 1954 when the factory was relocated in Staunton, Virginia). Maybe on a particular day or week, there was a shortage of the classic Star "round knurled" handle and they used Gem handles to avoid slowing the production.
Wonderful razor by the way!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@Ron R that's not a Star handle, at least I never saw a picture of a Star with the "round lined handle".
It was a common handle used for Damaskeenes and the early 1912 Gems Deluxe.
I'm 90% sure yours is a #4 with a mismatched handle but 1919 was also the year of the incorporation of Star into the American Safety Razor Corporation.
It could be that they were all produced in the same Brooklyn plant (while the company headquarters were chartered in Virginia, razor and blade production remained in Brooklyn until 1954 when the factory was relocated in Staunton, Virginia). Maybe on a particular day or week, there was a shortage of the classic Star "round knurled" handle and they used Gem handles to avoid slowing the production.
Wonderful razor by the way!
Great information, you are right about it being a great razor and this morning I had a excellent shave with it.
It seems to be mid range but on the mild side and very efficient, forgiving & a joy to use for a 100 year old razor . They made a excellent razor and I'm glade I bought it and possibly a little rare from your research. Thanks again!
Have some great shaves.

Some more Micromatics
gem2.jpg
On the left is the Flying Wing Bullet Tip w/o the guiding eye
On the right is a Micromatic open comb

mmbtp.jpg
Micromatic Flying Wing with plastic TTO knob

For the Micromatic open comb the 2 variants are one with the lifter bumps for the blade and one without.
mmocnb.jpg mmoc1.jpg

Top Bottom