What's new

Best fragrance for a manly man?

The books had lots on what he wore, ate, smoked, drank, and drove, too. Back in the day to be a cool guy, a ladies man, you had to have your kit together, apparently. And overall all, in the books especially, but in the movies, too, Bond has his kit together.

I hope whoever made that onesie paid someone dearly, and I am very happy it did not catch on. Actually, I have read that that outfit was something of an anachronism at the time. That it is something a British guy might have actually worn at a spa or similar place in the 1950s, believe it or not. But it was not something anyone was wearing in 1964 when Goldfinger came out.

No doubt that Playboy was closely involved with James Bond. Not just the movies. As I recall Playbook published some Ian Fleming stories and perhaps an excerpt of a new novel before it was officially released. I am sure Hugh Hefner wanted to be like James Bond.

As I recall, Playboy was sort of a mixed bag when it came to clothing and the like. A bit of edgy Gentleman's Quarterly that no one really wore; some traditional, quality expensive clothes, and decent advice on what to buy and wear, and what was appropriate for what occasions, etc.; and trendy, lower-end, rather gauche stuff. For instance, I do not know that After Six was ever a quality brand, and After Six seemed all over Playboy. As I recall there are some full length older Playboy magazines scanned on line and freely available. It is interesting to look through them for an idea of the culture they seemed to be promoting. I guess one might say, middle brow, with ambitions. How is that for an old phrase. I do not think Playboy gets credit for being a sort of civilizing influence in popular culture. Gigitty!
Reminds me of a phenomenal Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse find old "playguy" magazines with all the pictures missing. The life they create based on just the reading portion is hilarious.

Thanks guys for the enlightenment, fun read. Terrycloth, baby blue romper, for how much money would i snap and don such an abomination, Friday's quandary.
dave

I thought you were pondering how much you would need to be paid to wear one, not how much it would cost to wear one.

You are right, i was thinking about the cost of selling my soul, Halloween comes with different rules.

dave

Three things a manly man should smell like:
Tobacco
Soap
Whiskey

You can add shoe polish if you're a fancy lawyer.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This stuff:
019_25.jpg

I

itsmeifti

If you can't tell, I'm into spending like $50 or less per bottle if possible.
Sure thing - plenty of goodies to be had without spending silly money.
My first thought is Yatagan by Caron. All sort of woody herbalness this. Impossible to describe this as anything other than masculine!. Not macho or in your face, rather, refined, elegant and sophisticated.

For Winter (or a Date):parfums de Marly Layton or Mont Blanc Legend Night
For Summer: Creed GIT or Davidoff Cool Water
For the Office:Creed Aventus or Pineapple Vintage

found Jicky 3.3 oz edp for the unheard of price of $29. It is definitely a scent that can be worn by either sex. It's got kind of a spicy dry down that is really pleasing.

Top Bottom