What's new

Shavemac Knots question: bulb or fan ?

So I finally had a few chats with Bernd (thanks everyone for the contact info/help previously), and I have narrowed down to these two with his help / comments:

- Silvertip D01 2 Band (most backbone, density and stiffness) 28mm knot, 54 mm loft
- Silvertip D01 3 Band (for density, backbone and soft tips) 28mm knot, 56 mm loft

But I am not sure about the bulb vs fan in those dimensions, I am leaning toward bulb for added backbone for both, but I wanted to ask people who like backbone/density, do you favor fan or bulbs for Shavemac brushes ?

Thank you in advance for your help/suggestions.

Edit: I do face lathering mostly (80% face, 20% bowl)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have his 2-band fan silvertip that works VERY well for face lathering (which I do almost all the time).

I have a D01 2-band that is 26x50 bulb. It is a wonderful brush that is a hard soap lathering machine. It is a very firm brush that is not the least bit luxurious. It provides decent scrub because the shafts are so firm. The tips are on the lower end of softness, so just be sure of what you like in a brush before you order it. This brush was exactly what I was looking for with features hard to find elsewhere.

A fan shape might be a little gentler on your face if that's what you want.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Follow your likes! I would personally take a fan for the 2-band, but I am a fan guy normally, and only lately I enjoy bulbs, but have not a D01 two-band in bulb (yet...).

You might find a D01 2-Band 28 x 54mm bulb knot to have too much backbone or 'scritch'. A fan would work better with these dimensions, unless you really like scrub/backbone/face-sensation

The D01 3-Band 28 x 56mm would work better in bulb as that would provide more backbone/face-feel and less splay than one in bulb, but that would be individual preference.

Good luck.

I have his 2-band fan silvertip that works VERY well for face lathering (which I do almost all the time).

What dimensions are you using for that ? is that 2 band silvertip D01 or regular ?

I have a D01 2-band that is 26x50 bulb. It is a wonderful brush that is a hard soap lathering machine. It is a very firm brush that is not the least bit luxurious. It provides decent scrub because the shafts are so firm. The tips are on the lower end of softness, so just be sure of what you like in a brush before you order it. This brush was exactly what I was looking for with features hard to find elsewhere.

A fan shape might be a little gentler on your face if that's what you want.

Thank you - any reason you went for 26/50 as opposed to 26/52 ?

Follow your likes! I would personally take a fan for the 2-band, but I am a fan guy normally, and only lately I enjoy bulbs, but have not a D01 two-band in bulb (yet...).

Thanks Rudy!

You might find a D01 2-Band 28 x 54mm bulb knot to have too much backbone or 'scritch'. A fan would work better with these dimensions, unless you really like scrub/backbone/face-sensation

The D01 3-Band 28 x 56mm would work better in bulb as that would provide more backbone/face-feel and less splay than one in bulb, but that would be individual preference.

Good luck.

So for the D01 3 Band, I am leaning toward 28/56 or 28/54 in bulb. I assume on your second paragraph you meant bulb works better than fan ?

for the D01 2 band I am leaning toward 28/56 in bulb or 28/54 in fan at this point.

I went with 26x50 to provide extra backbone. I have enough brushes with moderate firmness and wanted one that would be hands down the firmest.

I have a 2-band Shavemac fan from Rudy Vey: GREAT BRUSH!! :a29::a29:

And this is high praise from a guy who normally uses bulb-shaped brushes!!

You could always buy both and send me the one you like least.

That said, for a face-latherer like me, fan brushes are pretty sweet.

So for the D01 3 Band, I am leaning toward 28/56 or 28/54 in bulb. I assume on your second paragraph you meant bulb works better than fan ?

for the D01 2 band I am leaning toward 28/56 in bulb or 28/54 in fan at this point.

Yes. I mentioned in my initial post that a Bulb knot would, probably, work better with the D01 3-Band hair.
Just for your information, any D01 2-Band in a Bulb knot will take some time getting used to as this grade of hair is the most rigid/strong/backbone you'll find. It may take some time to get used to and to 'soften'. Once it does though, it is a great knot.
Best of luck.

Conventional wisdom seems to be to use fan-shaped brushes for face lathering. I bowl lather and have both fan and bulb knots in my arsenal. I have sensitive skin and prefer my silvertip badgers to my two-band; but I seldom try to lather hard soap with badger brushes. I use the badger brushes for soft to firm soaps. I use boar brushes for hard pucks.

Top Bottom