What's new

Summer Frag For A Guy Who Generally Doesn't Like Summer Frags?

I don't know what the actual names of the notes are that I HATE in most the "fresh" summer colognes, but it is that metallic, plastic, sort of bitter edge? It makes me GAG :crying:, like hair spray. There are very few summer frags I like enough to have bought. One I do keep in my limited summer line-up is HUGO by Hugo Boss. (I believe it was their first?) It has a little of that bitter edge but is more mellow than not. Another one I pretty much like is New West (Aramis). After that they get pretty scarce.

Now I love Executive Man and have it in the A/S and EDT. Would you consider that (and Aventus of course) a summer cologne because it contains pineapple?

Of course I could just ignore etiquette and wear my favs all year round, even though most of them are classified as winter scents, but I like the idea of assigning certain ones to a season. I just need more ideas for the summer...

Bulgari Aqva and Terre D’Hermes come to mind. I am in the same boat as you with most summer frags.

Aqva is a darker aquatic I like, but I dislike most aquatic scents.

TDH is an orange and woody scent that is not your typical freshie.

Summer is for neroli, bergamot....that family

Try Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford or my absolute favourite....Acqua Universalis
by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

My favorite summertime fragrance is Creed Bois Du Portugal. Also, I associate Guerlain Habit Rouge with summer.

If you like executive man, Insurrection Pure II is another Aventus clone that's lighter and less than 20$ for 300ml or so.

I, however mostly wear retro scents. I think Royal Copenhagen Sport is pretty good. It's more of a 90's scent in the vein of Polo Sport. I'd call it a proto aquatic. It's about 10$ on Ebay. I also think Dunhill Desire red is excellent. Belcam's Primitive Man, the Sauvage clone is very good. You might find it a bit metallic, but it's 8$ and a good value. The Cremo line of edt's are very fresh and one of them is bound to work for you as well.

Personally, though, I say damn the settings ascribed to these scents. I have found very few in my vast collection that are absolutely repulsive in hot weather. I think the seasonal thing is a little game people like to play, like white after labor day, and you really can get away with "fall" scents with fewer sprays. The character might change a bit, but I think these things tend to be more versatile than people pretend they are.

I don't know what the actual names of the notes are that I HATE in most the "fresh" summer colognes, but it is that metallic, plastic, sort of bitter edge? It makes me GAG :crying:, like hair spray.
You might be referring to calone, which is dumped in a lot of summer/aquatic stuff that is sold in malls. It makes me gag as well, but it is apparently pretty popular. The good news is there are a ton of of other "non-aquatic" options for summer. You mentioned Aventus - I wear that year round, and I think it works great in the heat. The previously mentioned Neroli Portofino is worth checking out. Sort of an Eau de Cologne scent but it lasts all day on me. Check out the Acqua di Parma line and the Xerjoff line (super pricey but unbeatable quality). Dior Eau Sauvage is a favorite, and I think you can still find that in retail stores, so you can check it out or get a free sample.

Sung Homme. I think it generally works year round, probably not on the hottest days. For the really hot days I have a few body sprays from Old Spice and Bath & Body Works..

Here are some of my recommendations (just for starters), FWIW, in various price ranges, and in no particular order:

Acqua di Parma Colonia
Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT
Boucheron Pour Homme
Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
Dior Eau Sauvage
Dunhill Icon
Creed Imperiale
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Creed Vetiver Geranium
Bulgari Aqua Amara
Lalique Encre Noir Sport
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Brut EdC (vintage)

You might be referring to calone, which is dumped in a lot of summer/aquatic stuff that is sold in malls. It makes me gag as well, but it is apparently pretty popular. The good news is there are a ton of of other "non-aquatic" options for summer. You mentioned Aventus - I wear that year round, and I think it works great in the heat. The previously mentioned Neroli Portofino is worth checking out. Sort of an Eau de Cologne scent but it lasts all day on me. Check out the Acqua di Parma line and the Xerjoff line (super pricey but unbeatable quality). Dior Eau Sauvage is a favorite, and I think you can still find that in retail stores, so you can check it out or get a free sample.

Yes, that may be the ingredient I hate - whatever they add to most colognes to make a "Sport" version of them, that's the culprit. Basically "aquatic" is the category I think?

The other one I have (and like) but forgot to mention is "Sander" (Jill Sanders) A lot of lavender (?) but more mellow than sharp.

St. Charles Shave has an A/S called simply "Neroli". I am tempted to blind buy that, but have sworn off blind buys in general. Have you tried it?

My favorite summertime fragrance is Creed Bois Du Portugal. Also, I associate Guerlain Habit Rouge with summer.

Bois Du Portugal is AWESOME - but I thought it was the antithesis of a summer frag? It reminded me of Heritage, except more sophisticated and complex? (That was based on just one sniff) It struck me like GOD'S version of Old Spice? Something for fall/winter?

Bois Du Portugal is AWESOME - but I thought it was the antithesis of a summer frag? It reminded me of Heritage, except more sophisticated and complex? (That was based on just one sniff) It struck me like GOD'S version of Old Spice? Something for fall/winter?
I think of Old Spice as a summer frag (for me). That's why BDP fits in so well. I generally finish with an OS splash followed by BDP. My favorite winter is Floris #89.

Yes, that may be the ingredient I hate - whatever they add to most colognes to make a "Sport" version of them, that's the culprit. Basically "aquatic" is the category I think?

The other one I have (and like) but forgot to mention is "Sander" (Jill Sanders) A lot of lavender (?) but more mellow than sharp.

St. Charles Shave has an A/S called simply "Neroli". I am tempted to blind buy that, but have sworn off blind buys in general. Have you tried it?

I have not tried that one. I do love the note of Neroli, and I think Saint Charles does their scents quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the actual names of the notes are that I HATE in most the "fresh" summer colognes, but it is that metallic, plastic, sort of bitter edge? It makes me GAG :crying:, like hair spray. There are very few summer frags I like enough to have bought. One I do keep in my limited summer line-up is HUGO by Hugo Boss. (I believe it was their first?) It has a little of that bitter edge but is more mellow than not. Another one I pretty much like is New West (Aramis). After that they get pretty scarce.

Now I love Executive Man and have it in the A/S and EDT. Would you consider that (and Aventus of course) a summer cologne because it contains pineapple?

Of course I could just ignore etiquette and wear my favs all year round, even though most of them are classified as winter scents, but I like the idea of assigning certain ones to a season. I just need more ideas for the summer...
Walmart has some reasonably priced "impressions" of several designer fra grances which actually are quite nice. Some of them are excellent summertime scents IMO. One is "G-eau' ", a copy of Aqua Di Gio, and it is really good. Another is "Blue Depths", a copy of Cool Water. I own both the originals and the copies, and personally prefer the copies. Both are fresh, marine/citric/aqua in nature and will have you smelling great and at a price below ten dollars for esch. Walmart stocks a few others which are versions of Polo Blue, CK One, CK Obsession, Drakkar Noir, Eau Savage, Armani Code and original Polo. Over the years I have acquired most of these because they are a good value and offer decent results.

Some of my favorite summer colognes
Creed Aventus of course
Creed Silver Mountain Water
Creed Virgin Island Water layered over some pure Demeter Pineapple.
ADP Colonia original
ADP Pura
ADP Fico Di Amalfi
Tom Ford Neroli Portofino or you can just go with 4711
Byredo Bal D'Afrique
Xerjoff Nio
Diptyque Philosykos

A Sleeper here to me is Thierry Mugler original Cologne ( Green ) I as while as a lot of basenote members believe if this were under some other High end brand name such as Creed it would command a lot more money. Every time I wear it I get tons of compliments from the ladies at work.

I am glad you mention Aventus as a summer scent. I have Executive Man in the EDT and A/S and it's one of my favorites. I figured it should be "summer" because of the pineapple? Anyway, I don't want to box myself in to only wearing certain frags at certain times of the year when I don't think it REALLY matters but I am pretty OCD about grouping things into categories in general.

As for Thierry Mugler I have not sampled it because I believe it is considered unisex? Not a favorite category of mine ( I like the "manly" stuff because I think I need all the help I can get :001_rolle) but if the ladies like it then that works!

I am glad you mention Aventus as a summer scent. I have Executive Man in the EDT and A/S and it's one of my favorites. I figured it should be "summer" because of the pineapple? Anyway, I don't want to box myself in to only wearing certain frags at certain times of the year when I don't think it REALLY matters but I am pretty OCD about grouping things into categories in general.

As for Thierry Mugler I have not sampled it because I believe it is considered unisex? Not a favorite category of mine ( I like the "manly" stuff because I think I need all the help I can get :001_rolle) but if the ladies like it then that works!

The Mugler is called unisex as a lot the the high end niche brands do nowadays buts more masculine than feminine but very fresh and clean and in fact I sprayed some on yesterday after a nice shave and went to work and a few of the girls are like love that on you and you haven't used that since last summer. In the winter I wear more darker, woody, Oud type colognes. I live in NY so when it is winter its cold and other than a couple Creed colognes that I use all year I do separate warm and cold weather colognes, aftershaves and even my shave soaps. So not only do you look forward to wearing different clothes, eating some different foods etc. but wearing different aromas.

Trust me the ladies like it so order a sample!
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom