What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Seeing that this is my thread, I've just given myself permission to sound off.

WHY do people put question marks (and interrobangs for that matter) after STATEMENTS?
Currently this seems to be a popular thing. Have the rules of grammar changed? Then of course we have the balancing act where a question is completed by a full stop (period in US speak) or an exclamation mark!

If I wasn't already crazy it would drive me there for sure. :letterk1:

That would be crazy?
Don't you think so!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Seeing that this is my thread, I've just given myself permission to sound off.

WHY do people put question marks (and interrobangs for that matter) after STATEMENTS?
Currently this seems to be a popular thing. Have the rules of grammar changed? Then of course we have the balancing act where a question is completed by a full stop (period in US speak) or an exclamation mark!

If I wasn't already crazy it would drive me there for sure. :letterk1:

I don't know why anyone does anything. There's a great thread going about grammar and words and all that stuff; it's definitely in the get off my lawn vein though.

Sometimes what looks like a statement is actually a question, right? I know you know that? The second question mark (after a statement) is meant to convey a verbal inflection indicative of a questioning tone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe this is why so many have a hard time comprehending simple plain English. Its not being used.

Where are the Nuns I had in school with the wooden rulers. They'd sort it all out with great efficiency.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
True. But I bet you "sometimes" THINK you do. :001_tongu

I often think I do, but then I remember confirmation is impossible in that situation. Good guesses count but can't be confirmed.

Maybe this is why so many have a hard time comprehending simple plain English. It's not being used.

Where are the Nuns I had in school with the wooden rulers. They'd sort it all out with great efficiency.

FTFY, like a good nun should?

Sorry, Cal, can't help myself?

They'd smack anyone not using or misusing whatever they deemed proper. Whether I agree with rules or not I know language evolves. I may not always like the evolution and frequently see devolution where some idiot might see evolution, but I accept the fact.

proxy.php

One of my favorite of all books is this one. On each of the facing pages are notes, some of which explain how the meaning of simple works, such as morning, have changed since the book was written. Imagine that. Morning meant something completely different to these English people.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Maybe this is why so many have a hard time comprehending simple plain English. It's not being used.
A brilliant observation! :001_cool:
Yep, I remember the belt, very effective. :yesnod:
Strapping refers to the use of a leather strap as an implement of corporal punishment. ... The Scottish tawse is a forked version with two or more tails, colloquially known as the belt, and was the standard implement of punishment in Scottish schools until it was banned in 1987.
upload_2019-5-5_21-0-50.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, I remember the belt, very effective. :yesnod:

They didnt use the belt when I was in school, but they did when my father was young. He found a way to defeat it though so he'd only get one. He said he'd lay a strand of hair on his hand and on the first whack they'd bring blood and had to stop.

The Nuns I had in Grade 1 used a yard stick, but because of continually refining their stealth attacks, by Grade 3 they switched to the one foot wooden rulers with a metal edge.

616-0k0Rj2L._SX679_.jpg

You didnt know they were coming until they connected.

We had a teacher at school we nicknamed Concord.

Two reasons.

1: He had a long pointed nose.
2: He put his belt up inside his jacket over one shoulder. When you raised your hands he would whip the belt out and in one fluid motion bring it down on your hands. It was said he broke the sound barrier it was so fast. You certainly never saw it coming. Stung like hell.

It's Christmas again!
View attachment 977866

I saw this in the BST and HAD TO HAVE IT! Thank you @TimS [emoji106] (I hope you don't mind me using your photo). It landed this morning. I like a bit of danger in my life, but when inspecting the toe through my 10X loupe it looked even sharper than in the photo above.

So I did a little muting:
View attachment 977880

Please excuse the weird lighting in the photo above. I took a few pics of the razor when it arrived but the lighting was all over the place, hence me using Tim's photo. The scales are a very nice transparent emerald green. They look blue in Tim's photo. In the photos I took they look black and various other colors so I gave up on that.

THE TEST
I did my standard "right cheek and jawline" SR trial. Brilliant! This is the sharpest SR I've used to date... it's sharper than a Schick Proline blade! I did ask Tim how he'd sharpened it. His reply was "I honestly don't remember last honing and how i did it. I have a bunch of razors and stones and mix it up quite a bit."
That made me think he'd be a prime candidate for BOSC membership. :crazy: [emoji23]

I'm still very much of a rookie in the SR scene but I believe having a very sharp razor at last will encourage me to get into it properly... hopefully similarly to the way Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers has proceeded.

Once I'd finished my nice little trial I continued with my SOTD.

Brush: Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red tub
Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
Blade: Personna Red (4)
ASL: Proraso Red
View attachment 977886

I'm glad I've tried so many different (and some quite expensive) shaving soaps. Proraso Red remains my all time favorite and I'd be quite happy with only that (till Mike @Esox or Jim come up with their next greatest of course :001_rolle).

I've had a great day in shaving land and am enjoying how my BBS skin feels, not to mention the faint remnants of the good ol' Proraso Red sandalwood scent.

Happy shaves all y'all. :punk:

A shaving day to remember by the sound of it. Days like that are my favourite.

To my ears, saying DE is a novelty for shaving, is like saying bread is a novelty food. After nearly 30 years of shaving that way, I can't imagine shaving regularly without it.
The shave I get from a DE razor is completely different from a cutthroat, but equal in another way. I have always been happy to cycle between the two. Sometimes my skin just needs a DE shave.

Getting into honing has changed that and I find myself wanting to shave with a straight edge just to try out my edges - this is more about honing than shaving though.

I think, @Cal, if you were to increase the number of shaves with a straight it needn't impinge on your DE shaving. In fact you could just start by making your first pass at weekends a full WTG straight pass.

Phew. Hopefully got through that post without irritating Cal with my grammar?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There(their, they're) is nothing simple or plain about the English language.

I think there is, especially if English is your first language and you have even an acceptable grasp of it. Communicating via the typed word can sometimes be difficult because, naturally, we all inflect our own meanings to the words we read. This is often a mistake. Most times we should all take the words as their written without injecting our own meanings or feelings.

Its quite often difficult too, for example, make a simple forum post and not leave it open to interpretation. This very often leads to a miscommunication because one who may be reading it inserts their own emotion into it when perhaps, they should not have. Those simple miscommunications could be resolved with mature communication but who wants to do that lol. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom