What's new

Vocabulary rant

screen-shot-2019-03-27-at-6-17-36-pm-png.967127

Can someone explain how to make an interrobang without copy and paste‽

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In Microsoft Word 365 on my Mac, it is available via Insert->Advanced Symbol->Webdings 2->Row 3 Column 7.

Find one you can cut and paste and make a keyboard shortcut for it.

I figured out how to make a keyboard shortcut for it. I also had fun learning a lot more about my mac and the symbol. However, the shortcut is not working. I'll look into it again later.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Emphasis on the "minimum amount", so a "quantum leap" is the smallest step up possible, such as when an electron is bumped up to the next higher energy state.
Not a dramatic improvement at all.

Well, it may be dramatic. It may not be. Whatever it is, though, it is significant. But, yeah, it's overblown in the same way folks have been using "seismic."

"I drank five or four beers."

One of my very good friends once coined the perfect word for that situation: couplefive.

"Let's get together for a couplefive beers."

If it came about on the fly during conversation i'd see it as re-estimate down from the original guess, context and phrasing would lend clarity.
dave

this is an interesting premise but until we get a professional linguist to weigh in with some actual evidence/research, I'm tempted to suggest it is nothing more than an interesting premise.

my understanding of how educational levels have trended over time and some professional work I've done with NLP hashing/embedding suggests to me it's very likely the OP is incorrect. that being said, I suppose it is possible.

Does anyone else notice when the word "gentlemen" is misused?

Witness: "It was THAT gentleman...right there!....That's the gent that stabbed me and nicked my wallet!"

Cop: "Very well, we will haul that gentleman's @#$ down to the station"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Does anyone else notice when the word "gentlemen" is misused?

Witness: "It was THAT gentleman...right there!....That's the gent that stabbed me and nicked my wallet!"

Cop: "Very well, we will haul that gentleman's @#$ down to the station"

That thar is nuanced sarcasm.

Top Bottom