What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
View attachment 976221

I used two newly acquired razors this morning. Unfortunately today's was far from a good shave. I'm confident it is not the razors that are at fault. I believe it was a combination of sub par lather and my last shave although feeling very CCS, leaving my neck a little bumpy, also even though I ended up having time to spare, I felt rushed.
The aspects of the contour I can judge from this shave are the feel of the razor in hand. My overall impression of the razor is positive it looks and feels much better in person than I had expected. And the handle is a very comfortable length. My initial thoughts of the razor when I saw photos of them in for sale posts was negative. To me they looked chintzy. However the metal is thicker than what it appeared in those pictures, and the fit and finish is much better than anticipated. I like the styling of the contour, Its more modern lines contrast drastically with older razors in my collection, which adds more variety. Overall I look forward to giving this razor another test drive, when my skin is in better shape for a fair assessment of its shaving abilities.
Definitely keep up posted on your next shave with the Contour because I love anything Gem related.

For today's shave I gave the Gem push button conture and the Gillette thin cap a second chance. I'm not sorry I did. As expected this was a wonderful shave, my previous bad shave with these two was undoubtedly the result of over working my skin in the shave previous to the bad shave.

Hot shower and Noxzema pre-shave
Gem push button Contour with gem SS PTFE second flip
Gillette thin cap with Bluebird third use
Omega Boar with Cella and dragons blood mix.
Witch hazel mixed with Tolsom aftershave splash.

Very comfortable close shave without over doing it. I gave both razors a shot at first and second pass and some light cleanup buffing. The Gillette is definitely more efficient but the Gem feels smoother.

20190502_115914.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Gillette is definitely more efficient but the Gem feels smoother.
Interesting when you use two razors for one shave, It almost makes think of the Clog Pruf would be my choice to receive similar results.
It is interesting when experimenting with razor combinations. I do use 2 razors some times when I miss a spot and out comes my Schick to perfect a little oversight on my shave.
Have some great shaves!

The Clogproof is an excellent razor, I should use it again soon.
I tend to use two razors just because I enjoy the variety. I definitely prefer a longer handle for the back of my neck so certain razors are favored for that part of the shave. All the razors have different characteristics and partly I am trying to find what works best where. But mostly I just enjoy the accelerated rotation through my collection and the added variety.

Interesting when you use two razors for one shave, It almost makes think of the Clog Pruf would be my choice to receive similar results.
It is interesting when experimenting with razor combinations. I do use 2 razors some times when I miss a spot and out comes my Schick to perfect a little oversight on my shave.
Have some great shaves!

I use a Schick for the same reasons...mostly around the nostrils. Join @GAW9576 on the Daily Double thread some time.

The Clogproof is an excellent razor, I should use it again soon.
I tend to use two razors just because I enjoy the variety. I definitely prefer a longer handle for the back of my neck so certain razors are favored for that part of the shave. All the razors have different characteristics and partly I am trying to find what works best where. But mostly I just enjoy the accelerated rotation through my collection and the added variety.

Speaking of long handles, did you obtain a Schick Krona?

Speaking of long handles, did you obtain a Schick Krona?

I had one at the sales counter of the antique shop where I picked up the Contour along with a Persona injector. Unfortunately my wife said I had to put two back and I really wanted the Contour and thin cap Gillette so. But since I didn't argue she didn't argue when we went to the next shop and I got that Wade and Butcher.

I had one at the sales counter of the antique shop where I picked up the Contour along with a Persona injector. Unfortunately my wife said I had to put two back and I really wanted the Contour and thin cap Gillette so. But since I didn't argue she didn't argue when we went to the next shop and I got that Wade and Butcher.
Try this....
BAKblade 2.0 PLUS - Back Hair Removal and Body Shaver (DIY), Easy to Use Curved Handle for a Close, Pain-Free Shave Wet or Dry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JSSF8T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v-fZCbH41S61P

Ha. I just do the back of my neck, not my entire back.

How about this set of razors. Not mine but on a site I can't link to.

s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
First let me say that I have yet to find an SE or DE razor that hasn't done a decent job when I have over 36 hours of growth. So when I was shaving every other day to every couple of days, just about any razor I picked up would deliver a DFS to BBS shave without many or any issues. But the rubber-meets-the-road for me on the daily shaves. Can the razor deliver a close shave without irritation? Am I looking forward to (or at least not dreading) the morning shave, day after day? This is how I've started to really be able to tell the great from the good.

Now that said, I've only been shaving daily for about 2 months, and during that time I have not tested or re-tested every razor in my den, but I have discovered a small group of razors that provide an excellent shave day-after-day: The GEM OC Damaskeene, the GEM Jr. Bar, and the GEM Featherweight. Razors that I've enjoyed, but found them either a bit "short" on results or in some cases were harsher feeling (i.e., producing minor irritation) when used daily were: GEM 1912, GEM Damaskeene (closed comb), Ever-Ready Lather Catchers (1907'ish & 1910'ish), GEM G-Bar, the Ever-Ready 1914, the Ever-Ready Shovel Head, and the GEM Push Button.

Some (or all) of the above may be a YMMV thing, or perhaps it drew a short straw on the blade used (i.e., perhaps I pushed a blade that was giving up the ghost for the week of shaves. And I want to emphasize, that I absolutely adore the razors who I found a bit "wanting" on a daily shaves -- they are good razors, just not great (for me) daily shavers.

Just an observation. And one further observation is that my results and assessment of these razors are really aligned with @Ron R's Efficiency/Aggressiveness graph. Any other sometimes daily-shavers and sometimes less frequent shavers -- what say you???

Ron R

Just an observation. And one further observation is that my results and assessment of these razors are really aligned with @Ron R's Efficiency/Aggressiveness graph. Any other sometimes daily-shavers and sometimes less frequent shavers -- what say you???
Great personal review @Flintstone65 and have to agree with your selection of daily driver Gem razors that give great shaves.
They are not overly aggressive but end results are quite good. If no one has seen the graph Fred mentioned and want to refresh my personal thoughts where the razor is for aggression and efficiency I will post it every once in a while.

If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Thread #'s.
GEM G Bar -thread #109
Gem 1912 -thread #124
Gem MMOC -thread #147
GEM Push button 1959- thread # 165
GEM MMBT Flying wing- thread #183
GEM MMCP Clog Pruf- thread #217
GEM Feather weight - thread #250
GEM Streamline Jewel- thread #390
GEM Damaskeene OC- thread #454

GEM Time Line- thread #450 Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines.

gem-razor-cluster-review-2019-2-jpg.975252

For folks who have purchased a razor with out a manual or not sure about technique this should help.

Have some great GEM shaves!

Ron R

Latest 1.2 update for GEM-Everready-Kampfe Brothers(Star & Treet) Time line. Great History of these razors @mata_66 compiled that Millions of us users have enjoyed over the last 100+ years.

ASR_Date_Chart.png

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom