What's new

INFO! 2019 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

Shavers, the wait is over. Now begins the 2019 Gold Dollar modification competition! What’s that you say? You have until July 1 to procure an inexpensive straight razor, specifically a Gold Dollar from China, and turn it into a thing of beauty. Gold Dollars, to put it kindly, are manufactured to rather loose tolerances, but have good “bones”. Upon delivery they shave rather poorly or not at all, but the steel is sound. Many have turned these indifferent objects into astoundingly beautiful and effective shavers. To see what others have accomplished, please view past year’s threads.

Never modded a Gold Dollar before? You lucky few can enter your work in the novice category. If you have created a stunning, or not so stunning, modified Gold Dollar razor before and want to top your previous efforts you should enter in the unlimited category. Please limit your entries to new work that you created during these two months. We’ll start the competition threads on July 1. Please post pictures of your finished razors then. Entries must be shave ready in order to be considered. B&B members at large will vote to select the winners in each category. In the meantime post pictures of your progress in this thread and tell us how you are doing.

Thanks to the generosity of our moderator team we have some great prizes. The Pro Class winner will receive a Tony Miller 4 sided paddle strop from the Mod Team, and

18364-jpeg.975822

a plain vanilla steer-hide hanging strop with cotton secondary component, courtesy of Tony Miller.

18398-jpeg.975828

For the novice class winner the mod team has also donated a rotary tool kit, similar to this one
41hbe4lif4l-_ac_sy400_-jpg.975741

The prize will be shipped to the winner from Amazon, so the actual model may vary according to their location. Of course all entrants get the best prize of all, the stunning razor that they have created!

To enter this competition, contestants must meet the B&B 45/50 rule by the last day of the competition, and as always, please abide by the TOU.

As always, please follow good safety practices. The razors will cut fingers even before they can cut whiskers. Power tools can send shards of metal into unsuspecting body parts. Many hazards, too numerous to list, can happen. Be careful!

Now gentlemen, and maybe ladies, get to work!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It will be very interesting to see what members can come up with modification wise. Very nice prizes up for grabs. Come on Chaps who's in?

Sorry guy's I'm going to pass this year, but I will still do a razor to help you all on but I'm not submitting it.

As normal great prizes from the mod team.

So just let the imagination run wild and get the sparks flying, and lets see those works of art.

Here is my start

rusty nail .jpg

Last edited:
This competition is always very interesting to follow. Alas I lack skills, tools and time.

Arne that is true it is interesting to follow, and TBH I'm going to miss it but work has gone mental. That's why im going to still do one but I cannot see me getting it finished....:em18::em18: That's why I'm giving it a pass this year, But looking forward to see all the beauty that comes out of those chunks of great steel.....

And I know some members have it in them to raise the bar even higher this year.

Glad we have one competitor so far! Everyone else, jump on in. The water's fine!

I've always enjoyed this competition. I had hoped to join in myself this year but haven't found the time to hone the razors I have much less rebuild one.

Sorry guy's I'm going to pass this year, but I will still do a razor to help you all on but I'm not submitting it.

As normal great prizes from the mod team.

So just let the imagination run wild and get the sparks flying, and lets see those works of art.

Here is my start

View attachment 977130
Ahhhh nothing a set of fancy scales cant fix.....lol.

I've been so excited for this, it's literally why I joined the forum! But my wife had our baby 10 days early, which robbed me of 10 days in the competition (April 30th, perfect timing) lol. I forgot how exhausting a newborn is, only this time, we have the added challenge of a 2 year old. I had grand plans, now I'm just hoping to be able to complete... something...

Congratulations on the new family member @bpm5cm! There are a lot of sleepless nights ahead. I hope you can find time amidst the chaos to work on your entry.

Congratulations on the new family member @bpm5cm! There are a lot of sleepless nights ahead. I hope you can find time amidst the chaos to work on your entry.
Thank you! I've never done this before but play around with all kinds of things. I was looking at electroplating, acid etching, filing...all kinds of crazy stuff. And now after a few nights of no sleep I'd be happy to slightly round one with a mirror polish haha. This baby took over the last of my "work space" so I've basically got to take things out, work in my spare time in the kitchen then clean everything up before inconveniencing the mrs.

Top Bottom