What's new

Gillette New Improved: underappreciated?

Not mad, bro.

Just clearing up a misunderstanding that some forms of communication is ineffective with me. :a29:

Last edited:
So this morning I continued my head-to-head comparison of the two razors. I did find an area with a tiny red bump on the right neck yesterday afternoon (that was the side of the NI), so I have to declare the RFB the winner of both of the first two shaves.

For this morning, I switched the handles. The iKon is a better handle. It doesn't look as great, but it has much better grip and the weight is better, too. So, anyway, I shaved the left side with the NI head on the iKon handle, and the right side with the RFB head on the original Gillette Tuckaway handle.

The Gillette handle is much slicker, so I feel like I have more control with the iKon handle, for sure. Face feel of the two razors is similar, but with more blade feel on the NI and more comb feel with the RFB. After one pass, it was a dead heat. After two passes, similar. I had a tiny bit of irritation just below the chin on the right side (RFB side today).

Final judgment coming after I check regrowth tonight and tomorrow, and then one more shave with the handles switched and the face sides switched. After that, I should be able to definitely say which head I like better.

At this point, though, it's safe to say that both razor heads are very nice and very capable.

Well, gentlemen, I finished the last shave of the shave-off, with the handles switched, yesterday morning.

Winner of round three was the NI. Round four was a dead heat.

So, here's what I learned.

1) It's easier to load a blade into the RFB than the NI. Loads perfectly every time.

2) The NI doesn't have to be rinsed as often; it handles lather better.

3) The feel of the RFB on the face is "comb-forward," whereas the feel of the NI is "blade-forward." Which of those you prefer depends on your own personality and experiences. I happen to enjoy the feel of the NI better.

4) Efficiency is almost exactly a tie. The heavier iKon handle gave the NI the win on shave three.

5) The iKon Tuckaway handle is much easier to use; has a much surer grip, and the extra weight helps both of these razor heads to shine.

Bottom line? The NI is a greatly under appreciated razor that I enjoy a great deal. It is not, however, a "better" razor than the RFB. Both will get the job done in style and with ease.

Well, gentlemen, I finished the last shave of the shave-off, with the handles switched, yesterday morning.

Winner of round three was the NI. Round four was a dead heat.

So, here's what I learned.

1) It's easier to load a blade into the RFB than the NI. Loads perfectly every time.

2) The NI doesn't have to be rinsed as often; it handles lather better.

3) The feel of the RFB on the face is "comb-forward," whereas the feel of the NI is "blade-forward." Which of those you prefer depends on your own personality and experiences. I happen to enjoy the feel of the NI better.

4) Efficiency is almost exactly a tie. The heavier iKon handle gave the NI the win on shave three.

5) The iKon Tuckaway handle is much easier to use; has a much surer grip, and the extra weight helps both of these razor heads to shine.

Bottom line? The NI is a greatly under appreciated razor that I enjoy a great deal. It is not, however, a "better" razor than the RFB. Both will get the job done in style and with ease.

I've read that many prefer the NEW SC over the LC, yet the much praised by all RFB has a long comb.

I don't have a NEW Improved, but do have a NEW Standard that appears to be the same razor. You've inspired me to do my own shave-off.

Thank you for taking the initiative to provide us with your experiences.

R

romsitsa

I've read that many prefer the NEW SC over the LC, yet the much praised by all RFB has a long comb.

I don't have a NEW Improved, but do have a NEW Standard that appears to be the same razor. You've inspired me to do my own shave-off.

Thank you for taking the initiative to provide us with your experiences.

The RFB is a New LC with a slightly different cap, the rest is "hype".

Adam

The RFB is a New LC with a slightly different cap, the rest is "hype".

Adam
That's as may be, but the LC New is no slouch of a razor, either. Caps can and do make a difference in shaving performance of a razor.

I have never compared the RFB to the regular LC New head to head, and can't do it now because I no longer possess a regular LC New. But I do remember having some great shaves with that razor.

R

romsitsa

Just compared my #88 with the LC and you are correct. Can't imagine a cap making that much difference in my hands.

You would be amazed. If you can try one, pair a US LC with a proper Deluxe cap (middle of the road) then try the LC cap with the Deluxe comb (harsh), then both combs with a Tech cap (very mild).

Adam

You would be amazed. If you can try one, pair a US LC with a proper Deluxe cap (middle of the road) then try the LC cap with the Deluxe comb (harsh), then both combs with a Tech cap (very mild).

Adam

Adam, there is no way for me to know for sure that my LC has the correct cap. One reason I like the #88, single ring, and standard is because I know, to a degree I guess, that the cap it correct.

R

romsitsa

I call the “generic” New cap the LC cap. If we forget production tolerances and wear over the decades, all US LC caps are the same.
The Deluxe looks a bit thicker and has well defined corner tabs.

Adam

The 2-piece RFB (aka Aristocrat #77 set) makes it impossible to switch caps
freely.

I have used the NEW LC and RFB on back to back shaves and found the RFB to be
a few ticks more efficient, while retaining a buttery smoothness.

R

romsitsa

The 2-piece RFB (aka Aristocrat #77 set) makes it impossible to switch caps
freely.

I have used the NEW LC and RFB on back to back shaves and found the RFB to be
a few ticks more efficient, while retaining a buttery smoothness.

Sorry for notpicking but the No 77 is not an Aristocrat. It’s a No 77.

Adam

Their are less than a handful of guys lately touting the superiority of their New Deluxes. I don't make much of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

LOVELY COLLECTION!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

The guy (Or his son) whom bought this 1904 Double Ring back in the day liked the New Improved so much when it came out that he decided to grind down the baseplate to resemble one.

Think of it basically as an Old Type with a blade gap. Pretty aggressive but a very good shaver. Was tempted to have some fun and tell everyone I did this but the pitchforks and torches would be outside my house before I could render a joking reply.

Attachments

• 36C13CCC-2E40-43B6-8C27-CE6685F93ABC.jpeg
    36C13CCC-2E40-43B6-8C27-CE6685F93ABC.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 25
  • 2F6E79EA-8923-4A0A-954A-4869AD23D58B.jpeg
    2F6E79EA-8923-4A0A-954A-4869AD23D58B.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom