What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
The handle seems the same as this rare 1907-1909 Gem Junior Bar. Usually the Junior bar came with a slightly different shaped 'ebonite" (black) handle:
View attachment 975653

Surely Faux Ivory looks good on any Gem razor!
Here's a custom batonesque handle by Doug Korn's Workshop:
View attachment 975654

Darn it. I have enough wood turning projects. I need to keep these in mind when I get a few projects done for a friend, and have time for making a few things for myself.

Wonderful brochure! Thanks.

Before moving to Brooklyn, Gem was located on 34 Reed Street in lower Manhattan, right next to city hall. New York City was a vibrant and growing metropolis (expensive) while Brooklyn was a bit more affordable (sounds like today). Their building in Manhattan is long gone. I walk by there quite often.

Yes, some models were totally unknown to me such as the Gem Elite/Tourist. Silver plated frame with gold plated bar mounted on the previously mentioned white celluloid handle (ivorite*)! I didn't think any of those razors survived long enough for us to behold but browsing the forum I discovered at least two members own one.
Photo courtesy @thirdeye
i'd love to see some GEM lather catcher pics, if anyone has some
proxy.php

The booklet also explain the different level of efficiency of each razor. I don't own any so I can't say whether a Gem De Luxe is actually more aggressive than a Gem Junior Bar.

* I've discovered Ivorite was the same material Yamaha used for their pianos when they switched from real ivory to "synthetic" keys.

Yes, some models were totally unknown to me such as the Gem Elite/Tourist. Silver plated frame with gold plated bar mounted on the previously mentioned white celluloid handle (ivorite*)! I didn't think any of those razors survived long enough for us to behold but browsing the forum I discovered at least two members own one.
Photo courtesy @thirdeye
proxy.php

The booklet also explain the different level of efficiency of each razor. I don't own any so I can't say whether a Gem De Luxe is actually more aggressive than a Gem Junior Bar.

* I've discovered Ivorite was the same material Yamaha used for their pianos when they switched from real ivory to "synthetic" keys.

That's a beautiful razor. I wonder how many where originally sold and how many still exist.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Photo courtesy @thirdeye
proxy.php

The Gem deluxe is for heavier beards and one person who would be able to answer that question would be @Graydog about comparing the GEM deluxe open comb to the Gem junior bar. He mentions it on page 2 of this thread he likes the Everready 1914 then the Gem deluxe OC, he did own a GEM lather catcher at one time also.

I posted this in the acquisition thread but figured everyone here would like to see it in case they missed it there. One blade in it but it appears to be unused and two in the dispenser.

20190427_173102.jpg
20190427_173226.jpg
20190427_173303.jpg
20190427_173404.jpg

Speaking of Contours (we were, weren't we?) :) I'm confused about something. There was a Contour and a Contour II, but there were three different styles of razors after 1960. There's one with a metal-and-plastic handle with a pushbutton, the same thing without a pushbutton, and an all-plastic handle without a pushbutton. Which are Contours and which are Contour IIs?

Ron R

I posted this in the acquisition thread but figured everyone here would like to see it in case they missed it there. One blade in it but it appears to be unused and two in the dispenser.

View attachment 976091 View attachment 976092 View attachment 976093 View attachment 976094
As you already know that the Contour is a mild shaver but you can get reasonable results with 3 pass shave from my readings. Let us know what you think of the your contour 1 for results. It is a very attractive razor (eye candy).
Have some great shaves!

Very nice pre McKinley tariff Sheffield. Here is a use resource for dating
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Construction

Thank you. I will look that over.

Speaking of Contours (we were, weren't we?) :) I'm confused about something. There was a Contour and a Contour II, but there were three different styles of razors after 1960. There's one with a metal-and-plastic handle with a pushbutton, the same thing without a pushbutton, and an all-plastic handle without a pushbutton. Which are Contours and which are Contour IIs?

I couldn't believe I found this one just after the posts yesterday. I don't know much about them. But after reading they shave like a feather weight, whit I have been thinking about. I prefer the looks of the contour so bonus there where 2 feather weights there in similar condition with cases.

I had to put several other razors back. SWMBO put a 2 razor limit at the first shop. I was lucky to get the straight razor at the second. Without much fuss. Which I was prepared for.

As you already know that the Contour is a mild shaver but you can get reasonable results with 3 pass shave from my readings. Let us know what you think of the your contour 1 for results. It is a very attractive razor (eye candy).
Have some great shaves!

I will shave with it tomorrow morning and let you know what I think. What would you suggest for sanitizing just in case. It certainly doesn't need any actual cleaning.

Ron R

I will shave with it tomorrow morning and let you know what I think. What would you suggest for sanitizing just in case. It certainly doesn't need any actual cleaning.
I do not know if this a good procedure for cleaning a razor with plastic and steel attached, I usually boil the head in water for a few minutes and then scrub with a tooth brush Weiman glass cook top cleaner(gold coatings just use dish soap) and then pickel in some Isopropyl alcohol mason jar for 10 minutes and all usually works out well for all my unknown user razors. If you have a ultrasonic cleaner that works well also. Some fellows do not think boiling in water is a good idea but it will loosen the worse soap scum on old razors that has hardened or hard to get at places, but it's up to the owner.
razor cleaner.jpg This stuff works well for cleaning razors with a tooth brush, wash afterwards with water well.
Have some great shaves.

20190428_085629.jpg

I used two newly acquired razors this morning. Unfortunately today's was far from a good shave. I'm confident it is not the razors that are at fault. I believe it was a combination of sub par lather and my last shave although feeling very CCS, leaving my neck a little bumpy, also even though I ended up having time to spare, I felt rushed.
The aspects of the contour I can judge from this shave are the feel of the razor in hand. My overall impression of the razor is positive it looks and feels much better in person than I had expected. And the handle is a very comfortable length. My initial thoughts of the razor when I saw photos of them in for sale posts was negative. To me they looked chintzy. However the metal is thicker than what it appeared in those pictures, and the fit and finish is much better than anticipated. I like the styling of the contour, Its more modern lines contrast drastically with older razors in my collection, which adds more variety. Overall I look forward to giving this razor another test drive, when my skin is in better shape for a fair assessment of its shaving abilities.

Top Bottom