What's new

Is Hard Water an Issue for You?

Is Hard Water an Issue for you?

• No... um.. what's hard water?

• No, don't have hard water.

• Yes, but I use filtered or distilled water.

• Yes, but I just keep lathering.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Everyone!

I'm writing an article on this subject and would like to know if hard water is or was an issue for you in your wet shaving routine. Please respond to the poll and share your experience.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

:a21:

Very hard water around here, and no softener. I've found synthetic brushes work much better for me. I rarely use a natural brush anymore, and when I do I'm usually disappointed.

We have a water softener so no problem here. However, when I travel to hard water areas I do not have a problem making good lather.

In areas with soft water the lather gets more fluffy. In my hard water area I think I need a little bit more soap/cream for the lather.

Very hard water around here, and no softener. I've found synthetic brushes work much better for me. I rarely use a natural brush anymore, and when I do I'm usually disappointed.

Interesting observation regarding natural vs synthetic brush with hard water. Very helpful for my research. Thank you for that.

We have a water softener so no problem here. However, when I travel to hard water areas I do not have a problem making good lather.

Water softener is great, something I'll need to add to my plumbing soon.

In areas with soft water the lather gets more fluffy. In my hard water area I think I need a little bit more soap/cream for the lather.

So soft water makes lather fluffy, another good point. Thanks!

Having hard water is a little challenging for some soaps I have had in the past. I haven't saw any difference in whether I use my Silvertip badger or my synthetic. I usually have the problem with hard pucks and since I adopted the "load it like you stole it" style of loading a brush I usually don't have a problem getting a great lather. From my readings it appears to take a little more soap/cream with hard water to get a good lather. I have too many soaps/creams so I don't mind wasting a little to insure I get enough lather for 3 pass shave.

For those hard soaps I have had in the past that don't lather very easy I switched to their cream base and it helped. For creams I am using at least an almond sized blob and it works out for me. Even though creams for me are not that economical I still buy them for ease of lathering during the week when I am in little more of a time crunch to get shaved and ready for work.

I'm not sure I've shaved with hard water in my life. I'm not a rustic kind of guy, so have shaved mostly in metro areas or medium sized towns. I don't believe I've noticed an effect overseas either, although I've only shaved in a half dozen other countries than the US.

Top Bottom