What's new

Steve/Graydog is a bad man

@T.Orso I do believe I have never owned a “bookmark” that has ever brought me chuckle and made me want a BLT at the same time! Seriously, well done Sir!

@T.Orso I do believe I have never owned a “bookmark” that has ever brought me chuckle and made me want a BLT at the same time! Seriously, well done Sir!

@T.Orso, I was thinking about using the knitted bacon as a bookmark today and am worried each time I opened a book that I'll wish that I had bacon snacks. I am thinking it'll be our cookbook mark.

The chaos continues!

I used a sample of Eleven Amber, Patchouli, and Oak soap. I mashed some into a bowl and loaded the brush from there. The scent is nice, I really like it. I'm not much on scents so not going to describe it. To me, it's a nice manly scent that would be great in fall and winter (of course good in the spring and summer). Great soap, good cushion and slickness.

I opted for the boar brush today to give it a try after a few uses of the horsie. The boar loaded soap well and had a great ergonomic handle. I face lathered, took me a second to readjust from the horsie, the boar had more backbone and great scrub. I had to use less pressure and let the tips do the work. It worked up a great lather, this brush would be great at face or bowl lathering. Another awesome brush!

Great shave (sorry, not really, for the poor quality photo)
20190419_094000.jpg

Glad to hear you guys like the bacon. I'm grateful for all the shaving treats and am glad to give back in some fashion. And, you know, the world needs more decorative bacon accessories, doesn't it?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So I need to know my Canadian Friends ,(@rockviper , @Somnos , and @T.Orso) did I leave one out ?
If I lower the loft on the Horsie knot giving it a little more back bone
would it be better ?

ps. Is that Canadian Bacon?:)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Both the viper and the "new" horsie are simply fantastic in my opinion, Steve. Your knot:loft ratio on these was dead on, sir. :thumbup:

I did pull the Omega mixed knot from the Smoggy Doggy handle, as the "bonus" (free! now with even more! :tongue_sm) epoxy wasn't just on the exterior hairs but too deep in, making the knot too rigid. Have not figured out if I will transplant my Omega 599 (the silvertip midget knot) or something else into it.

BTW the synth you sent me is EVIL (in a great way)! It resulted in me picking up a Chubby 2 synth that I got a great deal on and know I love it. I'm going to have to work to include my B&B Essential boar and the viper back into rotation, but right now the Simpson synth rules the roost. First world problems, I know. :lol:

Thanks too @Somnos for the pics of the bacon at work in the Gillette book. Very nice!
It was perfect actually, I had a plastic card in there as a bookmark and so it was quite good indeed.

@Graydog up here we just call it bacon...LOL. We call it all bacon, back bacon, side bacon, bacon-bacon! LOL. Just don’t try to take the bacon.

As for the horsie the knot and loft are perfect the only suggestion from me would be that to increase the backbone without resorting to setting it deeper the knot be denser. But I love the knot!!! The handle is beautiful!!!

Confirmed it today, the horsie is lofted / set perfectly. Just the right balance of scrub to backbone for me. Photo evidence is below:
20190420_101443.jpg

So I need to know my Canadian Friends ,(@rockviper , @Somnos , and @T.Orso) did I leave one out ?
If I lower the loft on the Horsie knot giving it a little more back bone
would it be better ?

ps. Is that Canadian Bacon?:)
I will offer a dissenting voice. I think I would prefer this knot set slightly lower to have a bit more backbone, considering my preferences for hard soaps and face lathering.

I am not fully off the fence on this question though. Two tries with the brush are not quite enough I think to get a proper idea of it. Of nine brushes I have owned, the only one I didn't eventually warm up to is an SOC boar (and I haven’t given up on that one either).

So it's very much a first impression that I would like it set lower.

I have to say I liked the knot overall though, and the handle is a stunner. What kind of knot did you use?

As for Canadian bacon, that seems to be a term used only in the US for a kind of sliced ham. As Somnos said, we have side bacon, back bacon. Toronto's contribution is peameal bacon, which is back bacon rolled in cornmeal and then sliced. It still carries the peameal name, as that is what they rolled it in once upon a time.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I will offer a dissenting voice. I think I would prefer this knot set slightly lower to have a bit more backbone, considering my preferences for hard soaps and face lathering.

I am not fully off the fence on this question though. Two tries with the brush are not quite enough I think to get a proper idea of it. Of nine brushes I have owned, the only one I didn't eventually warm up to is an SOC boar (and I haven’t given up on that one either)
So it's very much a first impression that I would like it set lower.

I have to say I liked the knot overall though, and the handle is a stunner. What kind of knot did you use?

I too find it a bit on the floppy side ,I didn't use that particular brush but I know from experience that for my face I need a little more BB. I will make another one and set it a little deeper and see if this helps for me and you and Greg :)
I bought a bunch of those from V.S. In China . I purchased Some a couple of years ago they sold a little denser knot then (Viper),
I too like the overall feel I just need a little more bb . If you want I will send it North for you once I make it.
Of course it will be in a Maple handle :)

Top Bottom