What's new

Best fragrance for a manly man?

All great suggestions. Also, many artisan colognes and EDTs are amazing and more interesting than commercial fragrances in my opinion. I give thumbs up also to Quorum and Azzaro. Outdoors and legal are very different - outdoors= Brut (and above) legal= The One (Dolce & Gabbana) - just under $50 at Fragrancenet. Sauvage EDT is nice too (also their Cool Spray flanker), but over budget.

Allow me to add to this invaluable list of "MANLY" scents one that surprisingly has not been mentioned previously -

Caswell Massey's "Greenbriar" cologne.

It falls under the category of "green/woodsy" scents ala "Polo Green," yet without being so ubiquitous.

It reminds me of fresh cut grass, or a walk in the woods.

Now, what could be more "MANLY" than that? :euro:

P.S. - FYI: Caswell Massey is also America's OLDEST chemist/perfumer as well, so patronizing them would be PATRIOTIC as well as manly. ;)

Allow me to add to this invaluable list of "MANLY" scents one that surprisingly has not been mentioned previously -

Caswell Massey's "Greenbriar" cologne.

It falls under the category of "green/woodsy" scents ala "Polo Green," yet without being so ubiquitous.

It reminds me of fresh cut grass, or a walk in the woods.

Now, what could be more "MANLY" than that? :euro:

P.S. - FYI: Caswell Massey is also America's OLDEST chemist/perfumer as well, so patronizing them would be PATRIOTIC as well as manly. ;)
Polo Green I love the scent on other people. On me..... it smells like used cat litter. One cologne I love the scent but cannot use with my chemistry. I'm sad....

Polo Green I love the scent on other people. On me..... it smells like used cat litter. One cologne I love the scent but cannot use with my chemistry. I'm sad....
That's just TRAGIC, sir. :sad:

Just a perfect (if extreme) example of one's body chemistry interacting with a scent to create something altogether different, a phenomena MOST people are unaware of.

That's just TRAGIC, sir. :sad:

Just a perfect (if extreme) example of one's body chemistry interacting with a scent to create something altogether different, a phenomena MOST people are unaware of.
Exactly! I use Kouros by YSL since the 80s. I get rave reviews on it but most others I recommend it to can't pull it off. Body chemistry is everything.

Several years ago I bought Creed Green Irish Tweed for 125. Can't find it online for that now. Loved it. I get just as many compliments from Carlo Corinto Classic and it lasts much longer. Been using that since 1984. Less than 40 bucks. Not knocking Creed, I just wish I could afford it now.
Not to revive this but thought I'd help you out! There is a large Facebook group called Falcon Swap. It's a large frag comm that is just like a BST for fragrance, mostly men's fragrances. Several very reputable sellers that sell decants (glass bottles that are filled from the HUGE 250-500ml flacons) of many Creed fragrances including GIT and lots of other hard to afford fragrances. You can get a 100ml decant of Green Irish tweed for around $130 or so. I just bought 100ml of creeds aventus for $140..retail is $300+. And it's all 100% legit, much greater chance of getting scammed on eBay than in the group. I thought the wet shave hobby was addicting...Just my 02 cents!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not to revive this but thought I'd help you out! There is a large Facebook group called Falcon Swap. It's a large frag comm that is just like a BST for fragrance, mostly men's fragrances. Several very reputable sellers that sell decants (glass bottles that are filled from the HUGE 250-500ml flacons) of many Creed fragrances including GIT and lots of other hard to afford fragrances. You can get a 100ml decant of Green Irish tweed for around $130 or so. I just bought 100ml of creeds aventus for $140..retail is $300+. And it's all 100% legit, much greater chance of getting scammed on eBay than in the group. I thought the wet shave hobby was addicting...Just my 02 cents!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nice. I'll check the site out . Thanks!

proxy.php

I think I have tried to track down why Jicky is so often referred to as a "scent for women" and the like. I think Guerlain itself has done this over the years. Guerlain's website currently says this about Jicky: "Jicky is a magical fragrance that blends sparkling top notes with warm and delicate base notes. At the time of its creation, women may have found Jicky puzzling, but men adopted it immediately. Today, this fresh and vigorous fragrance is the delight of women and men alike." Basenotes lists it as unisex. Fragrantica as "for women." Powerfully animalic, Jicky does not seem any more or less masculine than does Mouchoir de Monsieur. Actually it does not seem all that different. I am with Sean Connery on this one.

I think I have tried to track down why Jicky is so often referred to as a "scent for women" and the like. I think Guerlain itself has done this over the years. Guerlain's website currently says this about Jicky: "Jicky is a magical fragrance that blends sparkling top notes with warm and delicate base notes. At the time of its creation, women may have found Jicky puzzling, but men adopted it immediately. Today, this fresh and vigorous fragrance is the delight of women and men alike." Basenotes lists it as unisex. Fragrantica as "for women." Powerfully animalic, Jicky does not seem any more or less masculine than does Mouchoir de Monsieur. Actually it does not seem all that different. I am with Sean Connery on this one.
Amazon lists it for women as well, however, Jicky is one of the few scents my wife comments favorably on a regular basis. It's in my stable of definitely for me scents.

Cringe... what would call the article of clothing Connery's wearing in that fragrance ad?
dave

Terrifying isn't it. A rather infamous clothing choice for Mr. Bond. And a fuller length photo of the ensemble makes it even worse. I would say that one has to be one heck of a man to wear that outfit. But I do not think anyone is that much of a man. But as we have established here, who the heck am I too say. At least it did not start a fashion trend.

I guess when my son was 8 months old or so, he managed to pull off wearing something very similar.

Terrifying isn't it. A rather infamous clothing choice for Mr. Bond. And a fuller length photo of the ensemble makes it even worse. I would say that one has to be one heck of a man to wear that outfit. But I do not think anyone is that much of a man. But as we have established here, who the heck am I too say. At least it did not start a fashion trend.

I guess when my son was 8 months old or so, he managed to pull off wearing something very similar.
I do recall as a kid, people would discuss what Bond wore, ate and drank, drove etc. I believe this was all part of the marketing of the franchise, which EON productions were pretty savvy at even in the early 1960's. Playboy would do a pictorial on the girls, and articles on the other things detailing what each thing was and where to get it. I'd be willing to bet that some $$ was exchanged in order that Connery would wear that romper.

The books had lots on what he wore, ate, smoked, drank, and drove, too. Back in the day to be a cool guy, a ladies man, you had to have your kit together, apparently. And overall all, in the books especially, but in the movies, too, Bond has his kit together.

I hope whoever made that onesie paid someone dearly, and I am very happy it did not catch on. Actually, I have read that that outfit was something of an anachronism at the time. That it is something a British guy might have actually worn at a spa or similar place in the 1950s, believe it or not. But it was not something anyone was wearing in 1964 when Goldfinger came out.

No doubt that Playboy was closely involved with James Bond. Not just the movies. As I recall Playbook published some Ian Fleming stories and perhaps an excerpt of a new novel before it was officially released. I am sure Hugh Hefner wanted to be like James Bond.

As I recall, Playboy was sort of a mixed bag when it came to clothing and the like. A bit of edgy Gentleman's Quarterly that no one really wore; some traditional, quality expensive clothes, and decent advice on what to buy and wear, and what was appropriate for what occasions, etc.; and trendy, lower-end, rather gauche stuff. For instance, I do not know that After Six was ever a quality brand, and After Six seemed all over Playboy. As I recall there are some full length older Playboy magazines scanned on line and freely available. It is interesting to look through them for an idea of the culture they seemed to be promoting. I guess one might say, middle brow, with ambitions. How is that for an old phrase. I do not think Playboy gets credit for being a sort of civilizing influence in popular culture. Gigitty!

Top Bottom