What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Oh, I will.

Quick pic showing what I mean about the edge being a sign wave.
View attachment 973441

Bit of a balancing act, phone in one hand, razor in the other trying to keep the edge fully down on my Welsh Purple Slate with a small flashlight behind.
You can see clearly the three points the razor touches and the big gaps where it doesn't.

I'll fix it one way or another.

Doug, that's a masterful photograph. I couldn't do it in a million tries. Congratulations.

A real master made that edge, too, assuming they mean to.

What a truly bad edge.
proxy.php

I've had some success applying actual pressure to spots along the edge which seemed to need more contact with the stone. I have no idea if that's the right way to do it. My guess is maybe a convex stone might help, but I'm not to the journeyman stage with the convex Ark so my guess is exactly that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was like having a teacher who is lenient enough to give a makeup test for the second time. Her notion is everybody has to pass. When I was in school that might have meant we took one test after the first week of school, but makeup tests every day until Christmas.

4-19-19.Geneva.SOC.Kit.640.JPG

Today's shave was better. The edge is not gloriously sharp but it's better than the edges I shaved with yesterday and the day before.

upload_2019-4-19_13-58-57.png

Better is good.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

I'm not sure what I'll do next with this edge. It's an edge I could shave with again on the theory it'll be better the second time out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I decided to take the edge to the finishing side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3 for a bit before putting the honing kit away for the day. I can shave test the new edge in the morning. As usual it's been stropped post honing, but will be stropped again before I shave.

upload_2019-4-19_18-38-42.png

I'll know more tomorrow. God willing and the creek don't rise.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shhhh. Every time I come to visit you inmates at the BOSC asylum big nurse gives me the eye, and I don't think she's after a date. So far I've got away with it, but posts like that could put me on her radar.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mick's.Conor.ShavingSoap.4-9-19.480.JPG

This is the report I sent "Mick" after my first shave with the soap a week or so ago.

I'm beta testing Mick's soap.

The shave was pretty good overall.

Before talking about the soap I want to make sure I make clear this is a sample sent to me without charge to test and comment on. I don't want to say much about it after one shave, but it seems like good stuff to me. I see no big downsides. It is incredibly creamy. I'll load more lightly next time. It's very thirsty.

I tried to do everything my usual way, but messed it up. My fault entirely due to watching the Masters while I should have been more focused on the task at hand.

I screwed up the post shave. I used alum but didn't remember to rinse it off until after I'd applied my Grooming Dept Serum. Then, I rinsed off the alum. Bad way to test Mick's post shave! Sorry. It's not like I felt the need for alum, but sometimes I use it. Sometimes I don't.

The soap has very little, to my nose, scent. I'd like more. However, unless the scent is terrible scent is not an issue for me so that's just a comment.

Notice I used the soap with my usual GD Preshave to control variables. This preshave will improve any soap, or so they say.

Just based on what I noticed with one shave, a shave which ended only minutes ago, I'd rate this soap very highly. Its post shave might be at least a notch below that of Grooming Dept soaps (but there are's a caveat above). I'd also say the later passes with Mick's were less comfortable on my neck than the passes with Grooming Dept soaps. In spite of that sentence the cushion, slickness, and residual glide were good. In short, this is an impressive first shave with a new soap particularly a soap which is still undergoing initial refinement of its base.

proxy.php

One thing I've learned in 160 straight razor shaves is this: The main thing for me with all aspects of the shave including soaps is the comfort of the overall shave. It terms of soap evaluation that's closely followed by the overall quality of the shave which includes comfort but also closeness of the shave and smoothness of the shave along with ease of loading, lathering, retention of moisture, tendency to dry out, enjoyment quota, and all the usuals like slickness. How does the soap impact all aspects of the shave? This soap is very easy to use, to load, to lather; in respect to those factors I'd say it beats Grooming Dept soaps. It retains moisture well and does not dry out, again beating GD soaps. I'm not sure the overall shave is as good as that of GD soaps. Still, it's a damn good soap.

I'll know more about the comfort as the hours go by.

I have zero idea about what goes into making excellent soaps or determining the various qualities they have. Maybe my first impressions of this soap will help its inventor. I hope the soap stays as creamy as it is. It is the most creamy soap I've ever used which is very very nice indeed.

It should be obvious I'm comparing Mick's to perhaps the most highly regarded and most universally admired artisan soaps, soaps which I have well dialed in. I will dial Mick's in a bit more and have a better basis for evaluation, but Mick's is pretty impressive.

I'll use Mick's again of course and feel privileged to be allowed to test it.

The quoted material is from a shave a week or so ago, with Mick's.

Mick tells me the scent will be much increased in the actual product.

I've used the soap again today and reported on it below.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was decent enough.

4-20-19.Kit.Mick'sSoapSample.Geneva.MixedMidget..JPG

The edge was taken back to the Double Convexed Ark after yesterday's shave. It is significantly sharper now. Not gloriously sharp, but certainly acceptable. I may hone it some more before using it again, but maybe I won't. It's not my best edge ever but it's certainly shave ready.

The shave was good.

Serum.Preshave.Alum.Cremo.480.4-20-19.JPG

The alum post-shave gave almost zero feedback which is always a very good sign. My neck feels just a tad raw. I can't emphasize how tiny a tad this tad is, but it's still an itsy bitsy teeny weeny smidgeon more than I usually have after my straight razor shaves. I suspect this will go away. My shave ended maybe ten minutes ago.

I've not applied Cremo Moisturizer yet, but will in a bit. I'll use a splash, too, but don't know yet which one.

I've not going to say this was a great shave in all respects, but it was plenty good enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was another chance to evaluate Mick's soap. I'm a beta tester. Please see my posts (2) above for other details of this and the previous shave with Mick's soap.

Mick's.Conor.ShavingSoap.4-9-19.480.JPG

This time around I dialed the soap in a bit better. I used a lot more water from the get go. This very very thirsty soap loves its water. For me that is a very good thing.

One soap I like sometimes is WSP Rustic which is also a very thirsty soap. Rustic, however, begins to break down (fall apart, get runny) if you all just a little bit more water than the soap needs. Mick's is the opposite. If you can break this soap (and I'm sure all soaps can be broken) it would take a real effort. I used loads of water and just a little soap (on my post shave lather) and still was able to work up a lather I believe could be used to shave, a lather which was thin but not runny.

proxy.php

Don't think this is a thin or runny soap. Quite the opposite. If you want thin you can get it with Mick's soap, but any reasonable loading and lathering method will result in a super thick, very creamy, foamy lather. That doesn't mean too thick. The soap hydrates very very well, but know it needs a ton of water (to suit me anyway).

I do not think this soap's residual glide is as good as that of my Lusso and duck fat Grooming Dept soaps nor do I think it has the ghost lather of Wickham 1912, but those are the very top soap in the ghost lather department. Mick's has very good residual glide although I'd like it to have more.

This stuff lathers in the most amazing way. It might be compared to MdC in a sense because of that. I don't think the lather is like MdC lather and MdC is more explosive, but Mick's lathers almost as easily and that's saying a lot.

My impression so far is Mick's soap is not quite as protective as Grooming Dept's best soaps. To test that I'd have to use Mick's exclusively for a week. I'm not sure I want to do that. With most soaps I wouldn't even consider it. With Mick's I'm at least thinking about it.

upload_2019-4-20_12-30-12.png

Did I mention how creamy this lather is? I can think of no soap to compare with this creamy lather. The creaminess has no downside as long as the soap is very well hydrated. Just use a ton of water because the soap can take it.

I'm glad to have another opportunity to use Mick's soap, and I'm use it again, but it is a very good soap. It's hard to find anything to not like about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Three brushes made by Omega. All three contain bristles. One has some hair.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

The Mixed Midget (on the left) is not my favorite brush. It has considerable scritch (although it's certainly tolerable). It has good backbone (but not in the league with the other two brushes pictured, the Mighty Midget and the Proraso Pro). The hair is not silvertip or two band!

What the Mixed Midget is famous for is being a very heavy hitter for such a small brush. It's a lather monster.

I think its handle a tad too small, but it still works fine. If it were my only brush I'd not be in hog heaven but I would be a pretty happy camper. If I were going backpacking or bicycle camping this is probably the brush that would go with me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Micks.

Remember a ways back I said that the best shave soaps might be yet to come? :)

Yes, I remember you saying that, and it seems to be happening.

A couple of gentlemen have told me they're beta testing amazing soaps. I have no idea which soaps. I would expect great things from the yet to come soaps if Mick's soap is typical of the next generation.

Of course, current makers, some of them, are not static in product development. I may not like the scent of the latest Lusso soap I tried, Coattails Redux, but its performance is truly wonderful. I think Grooming Dept soaps evolve to the degree you're not likely to buy the same soap twice.

I know zip about soaps other than what I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom