What's new

Grooming Dept club

Bottom line:

When I hear people talk about complex scents sometimes what I find they're saying is the scent is weird or murky. Other than maybe Molten these are not that.

I generally would say complex for scents that even given the scent profile I might be able to make out one or two of the major notes, but can tell there are a lot more to it, like most colognes. I may or may not care for it. Stubble Buster scents are complex to me, even though they only list 3 notes, they blend together so that I can't detect any of them. I like Game and Burnish, but didn't care for Grunge. Had I not been PIF'ed them, I never would have tried them given the notes listed. Tangerine, Sequoia, and Sage for Game and Lemon, Neroli, and Pineapple for Burnish. Two of the scents I know fairly well in each of the soaps, but I can't make out any of the 4 scents.

I am not on the bandwagon of Redux being a bad, let alone a polarizing terrible scent. I enjoy the original much more. Why, can't really say. I'm terrible at describing scents and breaking out the individual scent notes. Is Redux one of my favorites, YTBD. One thing is for sure, it will stay in my rotation. Oh yes, it's performance is stellar!

**I just went and smelled both again and had my wife do the same. Her take was Redux smells more muted and struggled to get a good whiff of the scent. She has always loved the original Coattails. I have to agree with her, Redux has a muted scent. The original is much more aromatic off the puck. Again, I enjoy both but the original is far and away better in the scent department for me.

Last edited:
I've badmouthed this soap's scent and it is indeed bad to my nose but it might be your favorite. I am in no way badmouthing Mo or Grooming Dept. I like Mo from what I know of him, and I love my Grooming Dept soaps, the Preshave, and the Serum. I would hate to be without them.
Completely agree. His Lusso base and duck fat base hold the number 1 and 2 positions in my "favorite artisan bases" list. I could "fanboi" and gush all day long about the Lusso base especially.
I'm terrible at describing scents and breaking out the individual scent notes.
Same! Either it "smells good", or it "doesn't smell good." ;)

Did GD push WK to 3rd from the #1 spot?
It's kind of a day by day thing... every time I use a WK Buffala base, I think "yeah, this is better than GD's duck fat," then they swap places the next time I use the duck fat. :)

The lathers the duck fat and buffala bases make are completely different, but so enjoyable in their own way. The WK base does beat the pants off of the duck fat base for straight shaving, though. But the Lusso base takes the top spot for both DE and straight shaves for me.

Man, we're lucky to have such talented artisans spoiling us with such fantastic products.

I used Redux again this morning and I still like the scent. Was worried that reading these comments my brain would make the scent change. Now, this isn't my favorite scent for a soap, but I do enjoy it.

Not my favorite scent but the base is excellent. If Mo can make his soaps more readily available, I'd probably have a lot more GD soaps in my den, specially now that my favorite base from another artisan was reformulated.

Barbershop is live. I missed out on Soap but wanted to try the vegan base so I snagged one. Hopefully the scent doesn't disappoint.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Barbershop.480..png

I just snagged a tub of the newest of the Grooming Dept veggie soaps. Mo says it's a tallow killer. I'm not quoting him but that's pretty much how he's presenting this base I think.

The base is as good as any Grooming Dept tallow.

That is quoting Mo.

It’s said to be an Italian Colonia Barbershop style scent. The Scent Notes are Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange, Grapefruit, Neroli, Rose, Jasmine, Cedarwood and Musk. Being terrible at understanding scents I got an expert opinion from Joel @Johnnynroy hoping to find out if I might or might not like it. I think I might like the scent and can't imagine not liking the performance (even if it is not Lusso and even if it doesn't have duck fat).

upload_2019-4-17_14-18-14.png

I am not short on Grooming Dept soaps, but one more won't hurt.

laundry.jpg

I have Laundry in transit, too, and have heard great things about it. The base should be a lot like my Mandarin Bay puck which is great stuff.

Anybody else ordered or using or considering longing for a new Grooming Dept soap?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Jim you are a terrible :) enabler.
oooh ok one more cant hurt..... ugh someone please stop me.....i ordered the vegan offering today
ive been using laundry and the scent is interesting .... very tide like? and heavy. my fist soap that i could actually smell after i washed it off. the brush has the scent also. not my fav scent but was a way to try GD soaps.

Some of the other releases that may have originally been set for around today were pushed back as well. From what I gathered it was for longer curing times so that the soaps were harder before transit.

The ordering of this new one brings my count to 4. Bought Tao when he re-released it a while ago, got a tub of Citric for a steal on the bay, and bought a tub of Redux when they first were available. Overall I'm impressed with all of them. Scent wise I put Tao at the top, then Citric, followed by Redux. Can't wait to try out this new one.

I have Mo's 1st generation veggie soaps (Yuzu, Magnolia) and think that they're great. It's hard to imagine how the new ones are better, but I'm sure they are!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim you are a terrible :) enabler.
oooh ok one more cant hurt..... ugh someone please stop me.....i ordered the vegan offering today
ive been using laundry and the scent is interesting .... very tide like? and heavy. my fist soap that i could actually smell after i washed it off. the brush has the scent also. not my fav scent but was a way to try GD soaps.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

I get kickbacks from Mo.

In my dreams.

When our daughter was a little girl, like in elementary school, the teachers would comment on other girls saying they dressed very well but of course not as well as our child (we were told our daughter established a very high bar). It was largely because my wife likes dressing children her daughter plus SWMBO is an amazing shopper. Plenty of practice, right.

My lovely wife was finding online bargains you wouldn't believe on the very expensive children's clothes, and bought lots of them for our daughter, at incredible prices. After she wore them awhile my wife was then selling the used clothes for more than she bought them for to begin with.

In the meantime she wrote truthful reviews of the great clothes online just because she wanted to.

upload_2019-4-17_15-18-20.jpeg

One day she was notified by one of the big companies whose styles and fabrics our daughter particularly favored they were giving her a thousand dollar gift certificate as a reward for her reviews. Turned out to be true, too. Needless to say she spent it wisely buying their wares at 70% or more off. Even I got some goodies out of that deal.

upload_2019-4-17_15-20-0.png

I know there are other good soaps. I have a lot of them. I don't reach for anything but Mo's soaps.

Sorry for putting a gun to your head!

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've been learning to control myself with shave purchases instead of jumping on everything new that came out with GD. I always felt too guilty about having too big of a stash of soaps under my sink that took so long to get to. At some point it just doesn't make sense to keep adding. I'm now enjoying just enjoying what I do have instead of chasing the latest and greatest. If they are so great, I imagine they will still be around when I'm ready to purchase again.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I love it...

I picked up two of the Barbershop soap tubs myself today.

upload_2019-4-17_17-18-49.png

I've been learning to control myself with shave purchases instead of jumping on everything new that came out with GD. I always felt too guilty about having too big of a stash of soaps under my sink that took so long to get to. At some point it just doesn't make sense to keep adding. I'm now enjoying just enjoying what I do have instead of chasing the latest and greatest. If they are so great, I imagine they will still be around when I'm ready to purchase again.

Caught in the middle of the road once again.

Minimalism or a padded room? (meme).jpg

Happy shaves, gentlemen,

Jim

There is a lot of great reviews on many forums about grooming dept. but my experience has not been that great. One order I never received, he did refund my payment but I had to go thru PayPal. He did give me a coupon to use for my next purchase but with that order my labels on the preshave jars were labeled incorrectly and my bottle of rejuvenating serum was 1/4 empty. I know he is a one man show but I will stick with other choices. Not trying to rain on the good experience others have had just letting people know my experience.

Top Bottom