What's new

3 New Simpsons

Hello there B&B!

My ADs have recently flared up and I've taken delivery of three new Simpsons brushes.

Chubby 2 in Best - iconic. So glad to have one of these back in my collection. It's been years since I used one and that was a chronic shedder so hoping this one is a winner.

Duke 3 in synthetic - as much as synthetic fibers seem to be the way of the future, I've never really tried one that won me over. Hoping this one bridges the gap between tradition and future. It seems the handle shape and knot size have great potential to become a work horse.

Special 1 in synthetic - came with a travel case and seems just the right companion for a shave stick on the road. Hopefully this will be a lifesaver while traveling for work (vs hand lathering creams).

Here's a pic of my 3 new toys. I'll share my thoughts here as I get to know these brushes.

Thanks for reading.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Excellent!!! Enjoy your new brushes. I am very interested to hearing your thoughts on the Classic 1 as a travel brush.

Great!
I’m like you.
Not a big synthetic brush fan.
Would you please give your perspective on the Duke and the Special?
Thanks!

Thank you all for the comments and interest!

Apparently tradition won out over trendiness and I decided to get to work with the Chubby 2 in Best tonight.

I enjoy a wide array of lathering products but decided for this Chubby's first spin, I needed something unabashedly British. GFT cream certainly fit the bill!

Here's a pic after the first pass worth of face lathering.

As far as first impressions for the brush itself... THIS is the British brush your mama warned you about. Simpsons Best has been associated with so many different adjectives. For this particular specimen, it's a firm and scrubby WALL of badger. The thick handle is a great fit for my gargantuan hands as well.

I couldn't help but pause and enjoy the marriage of this classic pairing of brush and cream. These moments are what traditional wetshaving in 2019 is all about!

Overall I'm eager to continue getting to know this brush with other lathering media over the next few weeks. The only challenge will be working in time with the new Duke and Classic while I'm at it.

Thanks for reading and have a great night.
proxy.php

My new chubby enjoyed its second use tonight, this time with an American artisan offering.

Simply put, there's a reason this brush is so iconic and the design has proven a favorite over decades. The firm & scrubby wall of badger is such a joy to use and I see this brush quickly becoming one of my personal favorites.

As a point of reference, my other favorite knots are all Shavemac D01 3 band or Semogue Misturas. While Simpsons best has been know to vary some from brush to brush, the delightful scrubbiness this specimen provides is right in line with the other two mentioned.

My only difficult decision is whether I should keep getting to know this soon-to-be favorite or place it on the shelf for the synthetic fiber Duke 3 to have its turn.

Thanks for reading.
proxy.php

Just dive in with it and don’t come up for air for awhile. That brush is iconic for a reason. Enjoy it! I am also inspired to pick up a tube of Trumper Coconut. I haven’t used it in a decade.

Just dive in with it and don’t come up for air for awhile. That brush is iconic for a reason. Enjoy it! I am also inspired to pick up a tube of Trumper Coconut. I haven’t used it in a decade.
It's a shame that the creams of the great English houses have fallen from their favor around here. I find all of the Creighton based creams to he underappreciated work horses but the scents from Trumper and Trufitt & Hill are special indeed.

Top Bottom