What's new

New Lisa's Natural Soap Base

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Haute Leather & Florida Freeze showed up yesterday & I shaved with the latter last night ... there is no one more inept at shaving reviews than me, so suffice it to say that performance-wise, Lisa’s latest offerings are as good as they get & I’m talking MdC; Pannacrema/Nuávia, Tabac, Volabra, etc., etc...

The menthol & scent of FF was so appealing that I’m actually contemplating a move to New Zealand so that I can use it year round!

Used the Gentleman's Lavender yesterday and it's amazing. Lathered like a dream with my Fine 20mm and great post shave feel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have never tried Lisa's soaps. However, if the new formulation can compete with the likes of WK, DG, GD, B&M, NO, A&E, etc. then I am looking forward to trying at least one of them. Lisa's new soaps are a little pricey, but no more so that some of the other top artisans. I the scents and performance are outstanding, then they will be worth the price.

I used the Amber and tobacco for the first time yesterday and again today. GREAT soap! Very slick, easy to the lather and the soap itself is a bit firmer than others.
Reminded me a lot of GD (accept you can actually buy it) in performance. I’ll be buying other scents for sure. This one is s keeper and the Amber tobacco scent is pleasing to my nose.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Used the Gentleman's Lavender yesterday and it's amazing. Lathered like a dream with my Fine 20mm and great post shave feel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
+1 on Lisa's Lavender soap - it is amazing, great lather, glide and post shave protection. I gave a nephew Smoked Tea and he loves it too.

In my granted short and limited use so far the Gentleman’s Lavender and Haute Leather are wonderful scents. I don’t gravitate toward leather at all but this one intrigued me and it’s one of the nicest scents I’ve ever used.

The real star of the show is the soap base David and others tested. I only have GroomingDept & Tallow and Steel soaps in the den right now as they are the two finest made today in my use. Lisa’s Artisan easily rests among them and is an exciting development.

I went to Lisa's web site and found a 20% off sale on the new formula soaps. I was hoping to purchase the Irish Green Tweed and the Smoked Black Tea as they both look like my kind of scents. However, they were both sold out. I pulled the trigger on Amber and Tobacco and Gentleman's Lavender. I am hoping the scents and performance is as good as noted in the previous posts.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks for sharing all the thoughts on Lisa's Natural. I've never tried her soaps but I am intrigued. Interesting to me is that glycerine is the first ingredient, normally glycerine loaded soaps/creams and I do not get along.

I went to Lisa's web site and found a 20% off sale on the new formula soaps. I was hoping to purchase the Irish Green Tweed and the Smoked Black Tea as they both look like my kind of scents. However, they were both sold out. I pulled the trigger on Amber and Tobacco and Gentleman's Lavender. I am hoping the scents and performance is as good as noted in the previous posts.
If the Gentleman’s Lavender doesn’t work out, I’ll take it off your hands.

:001_cool:

I have been using and loving Lisa’s old formulation Florida Freeze and Amber and Tobacco. I received samples yesterday of Haute Leather and Smoked Black Tea. Not sure the latter is going to work for me from a scent standpoint but the Haute Leather is wonderful. The scent to me is in the same family as Gratiot Square League without the vanilla and less spice but still very pleasing. I thought the old base was solid and competed with the top artisan soaps already. This new base puts Lisa in the top of the Artisans which for me is Declaration Grooming. I also find that her scents are very well done and appealing. My den will shortly only include Lisa’s and DG. This soap is highly recommended and if you haven’t tried it yet you are missing out on something huge. FYI - if the scent you want is sold out, shoot Lisa an email and she will tell you when she is making more. Unlike certain top artisans, her soaps are restocked regularly and are not unobtainable which is a breath of fresh air!!

Both of these scents are fantastic and easy to like. I don't think you'll have any complaints :)

I bought coconut oud, fairly interesting scent and I’ll have to use it more to see if I like it. The performance is nothing to complain about, honestly. Very protective, which is always the number one thing for me.

I received both the Gentlemen's Lavender and Amber and Tobacco. The lavender scent is pretty strong, a little stronger than I like. The Amber and Tobacco is more moderate in strength and is more to my preferences. I look forward to trying the Irish Green Tweed and Smoked Black Tea one day.

I shaved with the Amber and Tobacco this morning. The lather was a little thin, but I think I can overcome that issue as I figure out the right amount of soap and water to use. This is a glycerin based soap, although it also contains sheep milk and tallow among the ingredients. It lathers differently than most of thirsty tallow soaps in my den, so it is going to take a few tries to optimize the lather.

The soap has outstanding slickness and residual slickness. It also has outstanding post shave conditioning. My face still feels great 12 hours later. The cushion was not as good as I hoped, but that was because I made the lather too thin. Once I figure that out, I am sure Lisa's new formula will rank among the best soaps in my den. Since I own soaps from several top artisans, that is high praise indeed.

I had my first shave with Lisa’s soap (Coconut Oud scent) yesterday! Top notch!

A fair warning, the soap loads fairly easily! I loaded a bit over zealously yesterday lol...

Has anybody tried the Black Flower or Dunnottar? Or any of the new scents? It looks like Lisa has another new one coming out called Immortelle Woods that sounds interesting.

Have several of the Old Formula and a small tub of the older Premium line, but am curious about the most recent Sheep Milk formula. I know she makes great products but am not sure if I need another full tub as the den has got a bit out of hand lol. Would be cool to see some more samples available.

I picked up The Ouzoud & Isle of Skye soaps in the sheep milk formula almost 2 weeks ago. Same lather, protection and post shave qualities as in her earlier release from her Artisan line back in August of 2018. I do feel that the lather density is just a smidge lighter than those from the August release. Think Grooming Dept Angel in the Lamb Tallow base that was released a while back. Very similar in texture and performance. Ouzoud is just a nice light rose scent with geranium and patchouli to give it a nice light woodsy tone. You do catch light whiffs of lavender that is delicate and more refined. It’s not sweet or bitter just a wet earthy, woodsy really light sweetness to it which I have enjoyed. Isle of Skye somehow reminds me of late 80’s to early 90’s cologne type scents with a citrus blend that is not overly done as the musk, black pepper and oud keep it grounded and very well balanced. To me it’s a kind of throwback to those years that I mentioned but, in a real good way. I really like it.

Ingredients listed are nearly identical except for the Irish Oak Moss extract that is included in these two but, not in the earlier releases. I can’t tell you if that makes a difference or not in the soap base but, it’s there.

A couple lather shots of Ouzoud....
37CBA48D-E3BF-4041-8CAD-A24E5D188844.jpeg

3B1A6E62-FAF6-47E8-8C96-12F99368B84D.jpeg

CD094AB6-A866-438D-84D6-915256B88B42.jpeg

A922D398-AAE1-415A-873B-3FDA355A03C3.jpeg

GlazedBoker, do you find that her artisan soaps, as great as they are, are consumed more rapidly than normal? It seems like I went through my tub at warp speed. It's not real hard and at first I "bloomed' it, but stopped that after the first few shaves. Regardless, I don't think I got even 15 shaves before the tub was empty. :confused:

GlazedBoker, do you find that her artisan soaps, as great as they are, are consumed more rapidly than normal? It seems like I went through my tub at warp speed. It's not real hard and at first I "bloomed' it, but stopped that after the first few shaves. Regardless, I don't think I got even 15 shaves before the tub was empty. :confused:

Don't know what to tell you amigo. I've hammered my tubs of Lisa's especially Somali Rose & Sweet Bay and I even haven't used up a quarter of it yet (at least a dozen shaves each). And I load heavy or scoop out a nice almond sized wedge everytime. I probably use more product than I need to but, I'd rather have more than less. I certainly have never bloomed any of my soaps, soft, hard or croap truthfully. I can't tell you my man on what is happening with your soaps. I don't know your loading technique or the ritual you use to get a good lather. Maybe load a little less or try scooping some out and into a bowl perhaps? I honestly don't know my friend.....

GlazedBoker, looks like the lather is a bit overhydrated, to me.

Actually, I take all my lathers to the brink or point of no return. I always try a test lather with every soap and take them past their break point. Once I get my water ratio down, I really like to hydrate my lather as I get better slickness plus residual and an amazing glide. I don't like airy or foamy lathers as I think lathers in that form don't give you the slickness and glide that it can. It's like not allowing the lather to reach it's full potential. If I wanted foamy, I'd just use the canned goo. The bowl shot is still not a finished lather for me. I took another 30 seconds to work it and get it right to my liking.

Also, the lighting plays a bit of a factor as the glare makes it seem more hydrated than it actually is (was).

Happy shaves....:001_smile

Top Bottom