What's new

Micromatic Monday

OC Dammy. First shave with this guy, mild but effective as the consensus seems to be. Easier handling than some and overall a great shave. Soap (My Father's Face #2? Mango-Lemongrass) was one of a series i made three years ago and it's aged phenomenally well. No idea of the formula at this point. Hate when that happens. H/T to Tom for the Dammy.View attachment 972598

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You have good taste in shaving and photography. :a50:

It will be an early morning shave tomorrow, so I'm posting the photo of Monday's setup early:
I think the setup mostly speaks for itself, but the brush is the Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf, the blades used were Dorco Prime for DE, Treet Carbon for the SE -- the razors are the X3 Slant with OSO handle and the star of GEMonday, Gold Push button. Enjoy your shaves!!!
View attachment 972497

View attachment 972529 Knock down with a restored Wade and Butcher 4/8 “Improved Tand” coupled with a 1958 GEM gold and black Push Button (just like those 1950 Plymouth autos with push button automatic transmissions).

Initial knock down with the straight followed by a finishing off by the PB. Great result.

Those are some beautiful razors. When I first saw the PBs I didn't like them, but the looks have grown on me.

Ok I switched it up today. I was going to use my Gem Jr. Bar. But seeing as @Flintstone65 almost got himself beheaded for misidentification of my MMBT, I used it and my Gillette old type OC. It was almost my Head Gets Loose While Shaving today though. Or rather the TTO knob on the MMBT while doing buffing on my neck. Luckily I just felt a bit of odd scraping, but arose unscathed.
Gillette took care of the back of the neck with no drama.
Noxzema and Hot towel pre shave
Gem MMBT Gem PTFE 3rd flip.
Gillette with Iridium super 2nd use.
Sterling Bay rum And Lubriderm
Omega boar
Witch hazel splash and Proraso cream aftershave.
Overall a very close comfortable shave.

20190415_065248.jpg

Last edited:
Had a busy day and forgot to write that I had a smooth shave with the MMBT and a GEM PFTE blade which was flipped for the fifth time now.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Had a great shave this morning this GEMonday with my newly acquired GEM Damaskeene 1912>1915 and it is a great razor and forgiving & smooth IMO.
View attachment 972583
Have some great GEM shaves!

OC Dammy. First shave with this guy, mild but effective as the consensus seems to be. Easier handling than some and overall a great shave. Soap (My Father's Face #2? Mango-Lemongrass) was one of a series i made three years ago and it's aged phenomenally well. No idea of the formula at this point. Hate when that happens. H/T to Tom for the Dammy.View attachment 972598

I’m glad you both like the open comb Dammy. I like the closed comb just fine, but I feel like GEM didn’t improve the OC Dammy with the closed comb version or the 1912s (IMO, of course). This is one of those somewhat rare (and thus often highly priced) razors that I’m glad I hunted down. It took me a while, but I got a reasonably priced one (at least to me) and I’ve been super happy with this razor. We’re it more prevalent (like the MMOC), I think it would be a “standard” must have acquisition (like the MMOC).
IMG_1592 (1).jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I’m glad you both like the open comb Dammy. I like the closed comb just fine, but I feel like GEM didn’t improve the OC Dammy with the closed comb version or the 1912s (IMO, of course). This is one of those somewhat rare (and thus often highly priced) razors that I’m glad I hunted down. It took me a while, but I got a reasonably priced one (at least to me) and I’ve been super happy with this razor. We’re it more prevalent (like the MMOC), I think it would be a “standard” must have acquisition (like the MMOC).

One interesting characteristic about the Damaskeene OC to the My Gem 1912 closed comb is the blade gap.
My Dammy OC has about .017 thousands(.44mm) of a inch blade gap as comparing my Gem 1912 is about .023 thousands(.58mm) blade gap, they wanted the 1912 to be a little more aggressive IMO.
So my rule of thumb when you increase gap you can lose some smoothness and sometimes that is OK to improve blade feel or aggression because there are a lot of folks that like some blade feel. They tried to hit a bigger group of folks for tactical sales and give people what they wanted in the 1912 models.
The Damaskeene OC is a very excellent razor and a great daily driver, you can get spectacular results with a 3 pass shave if people are curious as you already know Fred. My Regular routine 1st pass WTG, 2nd pass ATG with a 3rd clean up pass and it's in the sweet spot for myself CCS,DFS,BBS.:001_smile

Flintstone65

So I’ve changed my shave lineup for this week. It’s going to be alternating two different Ever Ready Lather Catchers. Someone I know on another forum has posited that a patent published on April 16, 1907, is one that pertains to the ER Lather Catchers. I will confess that I have a hard time tying that patent to those razors, but I also find patent data simultaneously interesting and mind-numbingly boring. So I’m happy to believe those who put the interpretive thought work into it. Plus these are two Lather Catchers that I haven’t tried yet. They appear similar to the Gem Jr Bar (without the Bar). One has a metal handle which disassembles and stores a blade holder for stropping (although I haven’t gotten mine to unscrew yet), and the other came with an Ebonoid handle. I'm going to take advantage of Ever-Ready's 1st cousin lineage to GEM to showcase the two ER Lather Catchers below, but this really is a GEM thread, so I won't take up too much space. If I don't get too lazy, I'll create an ER Lather Catcher thread to really wax-eloquent on how the shaves go.
IMG_1693.jpg IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1691.jpg IMG_1694.jpg

Flintstone65

One interesting characteristic about the Damaskeene OC to the My Gem 1912 closed comb is the blade gap.
My Dammy OC has about .017 thousands(.44mm) of a inch blade gap as comparing my Gem 1912 is about .023 thousands(.58mm) blade gap, they wanted the 1912 to be a little more aggressive IMO.
So my rule of thumb when you increase gap you can lose some smoothness and sometimes that is OK to improve blade feel or aggression because there are a lot of folks that like some blade feel. They tried to hit a bigger group of folks for tactical sales and give people what they wanted in the 1912 models.
The Damaskeene OC is a very excellent razor and a great daily driver, you can get spectacular results with a 3 pass shave if people are curious as you already know Fred. My Regular routine 1st pass WTG, 2nd pass ATG with a 3rd clean up pass and it's in the sweet spot for myself CCS,DFS,BBS.:001_smile
Very interesting, thanks Ron!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So I’ve changed my shave lineup for this week. It’s going to be alternating two different Ever Ready Lather Catchers. Someone I know on another forum has posited that a patent published on April 16, 1907, is one that pertains to the ER Lather Catchers. I will confess that I have a hard time tying that patent to those razors, but I also find patent data simultaneously interesting and mind-numbingly boring. So I’m happy to believe those who put the interpretive thought work into it. Plus these are two Lather Catchers that I haven’t tried yet. They appear similar to the Gem Jr Bar (without the Bar). One has a metal handle which disassembles and stores a blade holder for stropping (although I haven’t gotten mine to unscrew yet), and the other came with an Ebonoid handle. I'm going to take advantage of Ever-Ready's 1st cousin lineage to GEM to showcase the two ER Lather Catchers below, but this really is a GEM thread, so I won't take up too much space. If I don't get too lazy, I'll create an ER Lather Catcher thread to really wax-eloquent on how the shaves go.
View attachment 972769 View attachment 972766 View attachment 972767 View attachment 972768
Some users say the Everready lather cathers are a little more aggressive than the GEM Junior Bar lather catcher? Let us know what your opinion is on what lather catcher is more aggressive.
Those are some nice looking ER lather catchers you have in your possession!
Have some great shaves!

Tip of handle is wider than the rest of the handle making a sort of hook

I see what you are saying, thank you for the clarification. The it's funny how several months ago I couldn't stand the looks of the PB and now it's one I look forward to getting. But it will be a while unless I find one in the wild. There are 2 razors I really want first.

View attachment 972769 View attachment 972766 View attachment 972767 View attachment 972768

Please let us know when you start the ER thread Incase we miss it. I have an ER lather catcher but I need to repair one of the blade stops.

SOTD GeMonday - 4/15 G-bar rush job on tax day

Hot water splash for prep
1 Gem G-bar
2 GEM (7?)
3 Semogue 1470
4 Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar stick

All it takes:
6AEAE172-49F7-44C6-9864-FABED3565631.jpeg

Had a 6:30am meet up; so prep, face lather, single pass ATG for a close, comfortable shave in 5 minutes. Nice job, G-Bar!!

SOTD GeMonday - 4/15 G-bar rush job on tax day

Hot water splash for prep
1 Gem G-bar
2 GEM (7?)
3 Semogue 1470
4 Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar stick

All it takes:
View attachment 972784

Had a 6:30am meet up; so prep, face lather, single pass ATG for a close, comfortable shave in 5 minutes. Nice job, G-Bar!!
Love this mid '50's GEM. Congrats on the result. :)

For my Monday night shave, I tried a double. Started with the MMOC, shaving WTG. I'm definitely still trying to find the angle. At times, the blade is silent, yet lather is loaded with stubble. Then, coming around a curve, I feel a lot of harshness from the blade.

I did my second and final pass ATG with my Rockwell 6c on plate 3. The result was exactly as I expected and very smooth. I'll be running this setup for a while.

The MMOC is such a beautiful, well designed razor. The TTO mechanism is much better than any that I've seen. I want to be able to use it more, but so far I haven't found the sweet spot.

@GAW9576 , I think the PB is worth having, but there are other
For my Monday night shave, I tried a double. Started with the MMOC, shaving WTG. I'm definitely still trying to find the angle. At times, the blade is silent, yet lather is loaded with stubble. Then, coming around a curve, I feel a lot of harshness from the blade.

I did my second and final pass ATG with my Rockwell 6c on plate 3. The result was exactly as I expected and very smooth. I'll be running this setup for a while.

The MMOC is such a beautiful, well designed razor. The TTO mechanism is much better than any that I've seen. I want to be able to use it more, but so far I haven't found the sweet spot.

Daily double is getting popular. Thanks for joining and for getting the shave you like. :a14:

I see what you are saying, thank you for the clarification. The it's funny how several months ago I couldn't stand the looks of the PB and now it's one I look forward to getting. But it will be a while unless I find one in the wild. There are 2 razors I really want first.

Please let us know when you start the ER thread Incase we miss it. I have an ER lather catcher but I need to repair one of the blade stops.

The PB is a good quality razor and I’m sure back in 1958 it was an anomaly among Gillette’s color coded Super Speeds.

Top Bottom