What's new

A review: The SorringOwlandSons "Signature Deluxe" Leather Roll Up Pouch

I need to order his Signature model in either oxblood or dark brown... I've been putting it off for over a year now.
I like mine a lot! Waiting a year?, you have more willpower than I do. I think the only color choices he has listed are brown and black, in either smooth finish or rusticated, but he’ll probably do oxblood.

Inching closer to the edge on this...

LOL! I figure you'll fall off and do it before too long. I guess it's easier to withstand the temptation, when you've got palm trees you can watch swaying in the ocean breeze, lol.

I've been in the process of moving to a different city for the last few weeks. I'm all moved in now, tobacco's still boxed, labeled and in the closet, as I don't have the cabinet space I once had. I kept a large stash of 2 Wilke blends out and have been smoking them exclusively for the last month or two - High Hat and 188. I've developed a deep liking for Wilke blends over the last 8 or 9 months. I've got a rectal load of Peretti that's pretty good too, but didn't keep any of that out to smoke. It's handy to get to though, should I choose to do so.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
LOL! I figure you'll fall off and do it before too long. I guess it's easier to withstand the temptation, when you've got palm trees you can watch swaying in the ocean breeze, lol.

I've been in the process of moving to a different city for the last few weeks. I'm all moved in now, tobacco's still boxed, labeled and in the closet, as I don't have the cabinet space I once had. I kept a large stash of 2 Wilke blends out and have been smoking them exclusively for the last month or two - High Hat and 188. I've developed a deep liking for Wilke blends over the last 8 or 9 months. I've got a rectal load of Peretti that's pretty good too, but didn't keep any of that out to smoke. It's handy to get to though, should I choose to do so.

I just want something to take into the work truck for daily smokes. Do you think roll up pouch might be overkill? Maybe the Gent Pouch would be more suitable?

I just want something to take into the work truck for daily smokes. Do you think roll up pouch might be overkill? Maybe the Gent Pouch would be more suitable?

The Gent would do you fine, for sure. Either would do the job, but for daily carry of 1 pipe and a smidgen of tobacco, the Gent's probably the way to go. I really like the 'raw edge' option on it. If I were you, I'd feel a lot better throwing the Gent into the front seat of your pickup and carrying it to the job site, than I would the Signature Series. Carrying one pipe only will also eliminate the possibility of the pipes banging together. When I carry more than one pipe in my Signature, I snake the tobacco mat up and down between them to keep that from happening.

The only time I've really needed the tobacco capacity of the larger Workhorse pouch I carry in the Signature roll-up, is during this move. I was able to stash about a week's worth into the larger pouch and it kept it nice and moist. I've been nothing but impressed with Frank's work. I now live only a mile from Lake Palestine here in Texas and am thinking of buying a pontoon boat for the wife and I to fish from. I may just spring for a Gent for the boat. If you end up with one, let me know how it works out for you, if you would. For the record, with my pouch, I don't carry the Czech tool or a nail in my pouch. Any tamper with a narrow rim like those two have will dent the leather and I'm not okay with that in the Signature. Snake's tampers are what I generally end up carrying in them. Each to his or her own though.

Just a side note here. I noticed, for the sake of showing how large a lighter you can stow in the Gent, he used a Zippo. I've only used my Zippo a time or two, to light my pipes. I kept bumping the rim of the pipe with it, so I stopped. I theorize with the diameter of my chambers being on the larger side of things, I'm not able to get the volume of air going down through the chamber at a velocity great enough to be able to keep the lighter up and away from the rim and still pull the flame down onto the tobacco. If I smoked my cobs more, a Zippo might just be the ticket, but I don't.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Gent would do you fine, for sure. Either would do the job, but for daily carry of 1 pipe and a smidgen of tobacco, the Gent's probably the way to go. I really like the 'raw edge' option on it. If I were you, I'd feel a lot better throwing the Gent into the front seat of your pickup and carrying it to the job site, than I would the Signature Series. Carrying one pipe only will also eliminate the possibility of the pipes banging together. When I carry more than one pipe in my Signature, I snake the tobacco mat up and down between them to keep that from happening.

The only time I've really needed the tobacco capacity of the larger Workhorse pouch I carry in the Signature roll-up, is during this move. I was able to stash about a week's worth into the larger pouch and it kept it nice and moist. I've been nothing but impressed with Frank's work. I now live only a mile from Lake Palestine here in Texas and am thinking of buying a pontoon boat for the wife and I to fish from. I may just spring for a Gent for the boat. If you end up with one, let me know how it works out for you, if you would. For the record, with my pouch, I don't carry the Czech tool or a nail in my pouch. Any tamper with a narrow rim like those two have will dent the leather and I'm not okay with that in the Signature. Snake's tampers are what I generally end up carrying in them. Each to his or her own though.

Just a side note here. I noticed, for the sake of showing how large a lighter you can stow in the Gent, he used a Zippo. I've only used my Zippo a time or two, to light my pipes. I kept bumping the rim of the pipe with it, so I stopped. I theorize with the diameter of my chambers being on the larger side of things, I'm not able to get the volume of air going down through the chamber at a velocity great enough to be able to keep the lighter up and away from the rim and still pull the flame down onto the tobacco. If I smoked my cobs more, a Zippo might just be the ticket, but I don't.

Thanks for the input. The Gent it will be :).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The Gent, mat, and pipe rest.

Other news. . . A forged tamper and bottle opener from TheHammerAndHide. I don't know why as I probably have 75 golf tees sitting with my clubs gathering dust.

Top Bottom