What's new

1800s Style Shaving Brush

IMAG0972_1.jpg
IMAG0975_1.jpg
Just finished up this replica of a Civil War era shaving brush. I turned the handle from cherry salvaged from a dead tree that a friend of mine cut down in his yard, the wrapping is natural hemp cord, and the knot is a 19mm horse hair knot from Virginia Sheng. I had my first shave with it this morning, which was also my first time ever using a horse hair brush. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the horse hair is much softer than any of the badger brushes that I own. No scritch whatsoever. I'm thinking that this will be my new go-to shaving brush!

Wow love the style like yourself very impressed with horse hair I did a rubber set 400 in one.

But that looks beautiful Sir!!!

Thank you all for the kind words! It was a fun brush to build. I tried to model it after this original example dating from the Civil War. Almost all of the original examples that I've studied were fitted with horsehair knots, and the few that I saw that weren't, had boar knots. I love the horsehair. It's very soft, but once wet, it doesn't have the backbone of a badger or boar knot. It's a great brush for lathering creams, though!

Attachments

• Civil War Sahving Brush 2.jpg
    Civil War Sahving Brush 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom