What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When it comes to DE razors the magical Fatip OC is still my true love.

king ofde.jpg

My FFFMM was completed with the gear from the post above (#819). The outcome was that I'm still in love with my tiny shaving brush, Wickham 1912 shaving soap, and Proraso Red ASL. On the other hand, my BOSC 2F by Karve was OK but not "to die for."

Yesterday I used my RazorRock 84GC and that wasn't "to die for" either. When it comes to DE razors the magical Fatip OC is still my true love.

ON TO TODAY'S EXPERIMENT
View attachment 969217
I like the GD W58 mini SR, but not the shape of the point. I'd previously said that I would leave it as is because I didn't have the tools to change it. It was driving me bananas so I purchased a few small and inexpensive tools from eBay.

Today's project was reshaping the point then commencing my honing/stropping journey via the Unicot Method.
View attachment 969226

My "first attempt" results certainly wouldn't win any art prizes, but they are functionally OK. I decided to shave one cheek (which includes trimming one sideburn and part of my mustache). Although far from perfect (the alum check burned somewhat) the edge was the sharpest SR edge I've used so far (coming in very close to a Schick Proline blade).

I assume the alum burn was something to do with the edge, but before I play around with any further honing I intend checking out @Somerled Doug's post- and pre-shave method to see what my next W58 SR shave trial feels like. So post-shave I gave the W58 ten laps on cotton then twenty laps on leather. Prior to the next W58 shave I'll give it 6 laps CrOx, 10 laps Cotton, and 20 laps Leather.

I'm currently sitting here feeling my DFS right cheek AND my one days growth left cheek. Doncha just love experiments? :001_huh: :001_smile :001_tt2:

Congratulations!!!! And that's a fine looking coticule.

You can also try flax linen which seems to work better than cotton. You can pick up 2 inch webbing off the bay for next to nothing.

My FFFMM was completed with the gear from the post above (#819). The outcome was that I'm still in love with my tiny shaving brush, Wickham 1912 shaving soap, and Proraso Red ASL. On the other hand, my BOSC 2F by Karve was OK but not "to die for."

Yesterday I used my RazorRock 84GC and that wasn't "to die for" either. When it comes to DE razors the magical Fatip OC is still my true love.

ON TO TODAY'S EXPERIMENT
View attachment 969217
I like the GD W58 mini SR, but not the shape of the point. I'd previously said that I would leave it as is because I didn't have the tools to change it. It was driving me bananas so I purchased a few small and inexpensive tools from eBay.

Today's project was reshaping the point then commencing my honing/stropping journey via the Unicot Method.
View attachment 969226

My "first attempt" results certainly wouldn't win any art prizes, but they are functionally OK. I decided to shave one cheek (which includes trimming one sideburn and part of my mustache). Although far from perfect (the alum check burned somewhat) the edge was the sharpest SR edge I've used so far (coming in very close to a Schick Proline blade).

I assume the alum burn was something to do with the edge, but before I play around with any further honing I intend checking out @Somerled Doug's post- and pre-shave method to see what my next W58 SR shave trial feels like. So post-shave I gave the W58 ten laps on cotton then twenty laps on leather. Prior to the next W58 shave I'll give it 6 laps CrOx, 10 laps Cotton, and 20 laps Leather.

I'm currently sitting here feeling my DFS right cheek AND my one days growth left cheek. Doncha just love experiments? :001_huh: :001_smile :001_tt2:

Well done Cal! :001_smile

How did you find using the coticule?
I'm hoping it will be good enough to be a one stone solution for your needs.
Did you try finishing under running water?
Ha, questions questions. :1eye:

Next thing Cal will be buying up all the vintage SR's on fleabay for refurb projects. :001_tt2:

Congratulations!!!! And that's a fine looking coticule.
Well done Cal! :001_smile
Thank you gentlemen. :001_smile
How did you find using the coticule?
I'm hoping it will be good enough to be a one stone solution for your needs.
Did you try finishing under running water?
Ha, questions questions. :1eye:
Once I got "into the flow" it was enjoyable. The milky slurry removes steel in a trice. I finished it just with the clean stone and a few drops of water. That worked well but I'll try running water next time, now you mention it.

Yep, it certainly gives the "one stone" solution, and of course being somewhat of a Coticule virgin things will get better as I play with it more and pay attention to what I'm doing. I did manage to give the blade a slight smile toward the toe and a tiny frown toward the heel, so I have plenty to learn. (I'm guessing that my current "hardly any pressure" is in fact "too heavy.")
Next thing Cal will be buying up all the vintage SR's on fleabay for refurb projects. :001_tt2:
upload_2019-4-4_19-50-31.png

"Will Cal get home in time for those auctions he's bidding on?"

The White Rabbit knows I only use my smartphone for photos/texts/emails/calls and all other internet "business" is done on my PC at home.

(I'm guessing that my current "hardly any pressure" is in fact "too heavy.")

If you remember reading that "other" conversation, we kind of touched on pressure with coticules.
I wouldn't worry about pressure too much as long as your not deforming the blade while lapping.
It's not so important as it is when using other types of stone, synthetic or natural.

If you do use it under running water, just use not much more that the weight of the blade.
Once it starts sticking it will surprise you how much force you need to use to get it to move over the stone.

Just bought a GD, thought I would give this a try.
gdw59.jpg

Wicked French point on it. Seller says its a new model 96, think that might be a W96.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I sure will.
Bad things can happen using a razor shaped like that. :07:

Exactly what do you do to mute that point?

I ask having gotten a very bad cut with a similar point a week or so ago. The toe dug into and through my cheek. It's about healed. Now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to have a scar; it's looking less likely than it did, but I can't really be certain yet.

I was shocked by this cut!

Happy and safe shaves,

Jim

Exactly what do you do to mute that point?

I ask having gotten a very bad cut with a similar point a week or so ago. The toe dug into and through my cheek. It's about healed. Now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to have a scar; it's looking less likely than it did, but I can't really be certain yet.

I was shocked by this cut!

Happy and safe shaves,

Jim

I got a nasty one myself recently with my Hoshi Tombo, nice slice on my upper cheek. I'm not going to do anything about it on that razor because I want to keep it original.
I have muted points and fixed heels on other razors by gently rubbing the point on the edge of a stone. Either Welsh slate or Ark, doesn't matter which or what really.
Blades are very thin at the toe, so doesn't take much to mute it.
I'm no expert on this, but the ones I have muted have been fine done this way.

I got a nasty one myself recently with my Hoshi Tombo, nice slice on my upper cheek. I'm not going to do anything about it on that razor because I want to keep it original.
I have muted points and fixed heels on other razors by gently rubbing the point on the edge of a stone. Either Welsh slate or Ark, doesn't matter which or what really.

+1. Just a slight drag of the toe on a stone (or glass) will mute the point in very short order

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

+1. Just a slight drag of the toe on a stone (or glass) will mute the point in very short order

Thank you, gentlemen.

What I would have probably otherwise done would have been too much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

YESTERDAY...
upload_2019-4-3_23-52-57-png.969226

Yesterday I shaved the other cheek (having left the previous day's "one cheek only" as it was). I followed Doug's pre- and post-shave stropping method. Again the razor was sharp, but a tad more scratchy than the previous day. And boy the alum test let me know that for sure.

The edge could definitely be better so I'm going to start from scratch (Unicot Method) again before my next SR shave trial.

Moving on to today with one day's growth on my left cheek and jawline, two day's growth on my right cheek and jawline, and three day's growth on my lower lip, chin, and neck. Looking weird is fine, it's just an experiment. :crazy:

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny D01 2-Band Butterscotch Bulb (It's Christmas again!)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
upload_2019-4-6_0-38-11.png

Back to BBS country again. :punk:

It's early days, but I think this may be my ultimate collection of software and hardware for my DE shaves. These five items are currently outperforming anything else I have. :001_cool:

YESTERDAY...
upload_2019-4-3_23-52-57-png.969226

Yesterday I shaved the other cheek (having left the previous day's "one cheek only" as it was). I followed Doug's pre- and post-shave stropping method. Again the razor was sharp, but a tad more scratchy than the previous day. And boy the alum test let me know that for sure.

The edge could definitely be better so I'm going to start from scratch (Unicot Method) again before my next SR shave trial.

Moving on to today with one day's growth on my left cheek and jawline, two day's growth on my right cheek and jawline, and three day's growth on my lower lip, chin, and neck. Looking weird is fine, it's just an experiment. :crazy:

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny D01 2-Band Butterscotch Bulb (It's Christmas again!)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
View attachment 969754

Back to BBS country again. :punk:

It's early days, but I think this may be my ultimate collection of software and hardware for my DE shaves. These five items are currently outperforming anything else I have. :001_cool:
I need to do more shaves with the Fat, but my first shave with it was painful. I might be allergic to something in it (and it isn't the lanolin, I shave with Stirling without any issue whatsoever). Finished up my shave and my neck was intermittently angry red, had some weepers, and even my cheeks were a bit red. It seemed slick enough, I thought, but I can't be certain. I'll give it more chances, but my inclination is that it'll be leaving my seen shortly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I need to do more shaves with the Fat, but my first shave with it was painful. I might be allergic to something in it (and it isn't the lanolin, I shave with Stirling without any issue whatsoever). Finished up my shave and my neck was intermittently angry red, had some weepers, and even my cheeks were a bit red. It seemed slick enough, I thought, but I can't be certain. I'll give it more chances, but my inclination is that it'll be leaving my seen shortly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I still need to try Mitchell's and see what all the fuss is about.
Shame it's not working out for you Joel.

Thats the problem when hanging out with all these enablers.
You get that sinking feeling your missing out on something if you don't rush out and buy whatever they happen to be talking about. :a30:

:laugh: It was indeed early days.

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny D01 2-Band Butterscotch Bulb
Soap: Proraso Red
Blade: Feather (1)
upload_2019-4-12_2-59-12.png

A very nice shave. :001_smile

It looks like my "early days" prediction of my ultimate DE shave favorite five may not have been too accurate.
Surprise, surprise! :001_rolle :blushing: :letterk1: :laugh:

Shaves three and four with (my usual favorite) Polsilver SI blade were rough and scratchy. It was like I'd suddenly become Al @AimlessWanderer. I thought the third shave might have been a fluke but the fourth was equally bad, if not worse. I decided to restart with a Feather, and while I was at it I'd show my neglected Proraso Red soap a little love.

The Feather blade performed just fine (as expected, why wouldn't it?). I guess my Polsilver SI must have been a dud (it's the first dud blade I've experienced [barring the infamous Graham-Field]).

And the Proraso Red soap? WOW! Just fabulous! :001_wub:
Unless my lathering technique has improved by leaps and bounds, which I doubt and certainly haven't noticed, good ol' Proraso Red actually beats them all (and is the least expensive of them all [that I've tried])! I also love its understated sandalwood scent. Of all the soaps I've tried it has the most pleasant scent, that includes unscented soaps (which aren't really).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It was like I'd suddenly become Al @AimlessWanderer.

You poor soul. :lol:

I never found Polyfails scratchy, just uncomfortably tuggy, as if I'd got the angle all wrong, even if I hadn't. It feels like it's trying to rip the hairs out instead of cut them. I'm sticking to my theory that they're a little narrower than most, and don't reach far enough out of a mild razor (which is what I prefer). Not that it would normally affect you, Cal, as you don't mind shaving with a bit of pressure.

I have had that scratchiness from a few blades though, and a light bounce test usually showed some significant bright spots, as if the blade had chipped out. Sometimes though, it's more a deflection of the edge, and flipping the blade will alleviate the scratch, but as you flip every shave anyway, I'm assuming you got a chip or two in the edge.

Top Bottom