What's new

Changing shaving brush knot

Can you help please badgerandblade I want to put a 22mm maggards two band finest not in a yaki 24mm red marble handle is that possible many thanks

You could epoxy one in after removing the old knot. Some care would be needed trying to center it in the hole. The old knot would need to be drilled or scraped out after cutting as much of the bristles loft out as possible.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just about anything is possible these days. I would do plenty of research first. The link to the Brush Making and Restoration is a great place to start. Good luck if you go ahead and please keep us posted on your efforts.

Yes I would like to no if it's possible to put a 22mm in a 24 Handel thanks again
In theory that should work very well. When renovating old brushes I always aim to have the knot diameter a couple of mm less than that of the hole. Note, however, that the measurements provided by manufacturers can be very approximate, so a certain amount of adjustment/improvisation can be required to get a good fit.

It will work fine but expect it to splay a bit more than it would in a handle that originally had a 22mm after some use. If I was doing it I’d buy a 24mm knot because I like less splay and more backbone, but it all depends on your personal preference. Weird thing, I have one like that and it’s one of my favorite brushes, solely because it fills the gap between my silvertips that splay a lot and my two band finests that don’t. I know, I pretty much just contradicted myself, but since I have the one I wouldn’t do it again.

Top Bottom