What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I hear ya mate!!! As I'm going to be starting something new, Just to make this rabbit hole even deeper as I pick my wood turning lathe up tomorrow. Then I have to sort the spare bedroom out to turn into a workshop and pipe it up with dust extraction, as well as a bench for the lathe and bench saw and sander..... So its all going to be fun fun fun not lol....
:) Just did that, that is my new workshop. Have to make some solution for dust extraction.... Did some sanding that made some big mess. 30 min sanding and 3 hours cleaning..... Thinking of a vacuum cleaner with a hose that is close to the small belt sander i fixed.

These are the one's I am working on but these are a labour of love..

3.jpg 20190216_113555.jpg 20190127_174931.jpg 20190228_172527.jpg 1.jpg

Love the girdelwashers on the pins of your blue diamonds aswell. I may use that in coming restorations. Have another WB with a cracked pivot scale that could benifit of a solution like that and in the process save the original scales. Have some silver streaked horn scales that look amazing that i can use otherwise...

:thumbup:
Wow that is some beautiful looking razors. You have some quality time ahead of you with them. Loove the look of the first one, a wicked looking spine.

They sure are and yes I love the first one, and the last one is going to have its gold replaced. the Black Diamond needs new scales. But the blue Diamonds the bolsters have come away from the scales

hoping to try and stay as close as I can but the black diamond will need new scales. The mother of pearl I have to try and get as close as I can.

Love the girdelwashers on the pins of your blue diamonds aswell. I may use that in coming restorations. Have another WB with a cracked pivot scale that could benifit of a solution like that and in the process save the original scales. Have some silver streaked horn scales that look amazing that i can use otherwise...

If the scales are cracked at the pivot sadly they are toast, as you would never be able to tighten the pivot up without the crack opening back up.....

hoping to try and stay as close as I can but the black diamond will need new scales. The mother of pearl I have to try and get as close as I can.
Nice! I saw a vendor that sold mother of pearl material that could be used to laminate existing scales. Have you plans to do something like that?

Nice! I saw a vendor that sold mother of pearl material that could be used to laminate existing scales. Have you plans to do something like that?

Yep this one has a silver or stainless backing with a full scale but I cannot find any that size, so it might end up with 3 sections to each side with a strip of silver or stainless between.

That's the plan for that one. The Blue Diamonds I have got to find away to attach the bolster inlays back to the scales, as I dont think CA glue will work As somebody has tried before. I have to remove the stuff that's there now before I do any more, to be able to have a good base to start on I might end up using two part epoxy. then a fill coat for the voids sand and polish.

New to this, but here goes!
IMG_20190408_121334.jpg

Polished, honed blade (Imperial Razor Co, extra hollow ground) and scales stock (African blackwood). This has been sitting on my desk for a while but one day I'll finish the job. Mostly hesitating because I've been having trust issues with my bandsaw (mysterious drift angles), and I'll be sad if I can't get that stock into bookmatched scales. I'm planning on trying to make the wood grain pop with linseed oil or shellac, then laying on a CA finish to get a luster like horn or acrylic. I rubbed some water into the wood to bring out the grain for the photo. Hoping to get at least that much contrast in the final.

New to this, but here goes!
View attachment 970427
Polished, honed blade (Imperial Razor Co, extra hollow ground) and scales stock (African blackwood). This has been sitting on my desk for a while but one day I'll finish the job. Mostly hesitating because I've been having trust issues with my bandsaw (mysterious drift angles), and I'll be sad if I can't get that stock into bookmatched scales. I'm planning on trying to make the wood grain pop with linseed oil or shellac, then laying on a CA finish to get a luster like horn or acrylic. I rubbed some water into the wood to bring out the grain for the photo. Hoping to get at least that much contrast in the final.
That is looking really god. Come on can't wait to see the final result. I will try that trick with linseed oil on some oak scales i did a couple of weeks ago. Does it work on stabilized wood as well?

stabilized wood was it done with resin if so I think you might struggle, but you should be able to sand with a fine grit and polish to a high shine.

Top Bottom