What's new

Steve/Graydog is a bad man

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
... and I'm calling the Semogue-type handled brushes ....... Smoggy Doggy's :001_tongu

Yeah I got that one. I just couldnt resist Smeagle lol.

"The Viper" handle...

my-precious.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have now had my @Graydog bundle'o'goodness for just over 2 weeks, using each of the brushes several times to figure out which will stay in my den and which I will be forwarded along to others so that they may partake in the work that this bad good man does. :tongue_sm

I will be keeping:
- Smoggy Doggie
- Beagle S(k)not

New homes will be found for:
- Both boars
- the horsey

upload_2019-3-24_10-55-5.png

I am REALLY surprised at how good the Semogue 1470-type handle (the left brush) feels in the hand, given that it is basically a slightly concave barrel. Both boar knots still have to be fully broken in, but some tip-splitting is already apparent. As for the horse, this is a wonderful knot that feels great when face lathering. If I did not already have a Graydog horsey, this would be staying in my den.

Well, all this sounds fine and dandy, high-lighting what a good guy Steve is.... but that doesn't really fit with the title/theme of this thread does it?

Make no mistake about it, Steve is a BAD man! :mad5: :nono: :devil:

First, I though I had found my home with brushes with the Omega B&B Essential boar. Quite simply put, THE beast knot I have ever used until Steve stepped in. Then I received the Viper brush, which made me fall in love with the giddy-up horsie knot. Now I have gotten used to the Omega S-knot he sent and adapted my face lathering technique to be paintbrush-stroke oriented rather than my splay'n'circles routine.

What's so bad about that, you might ask?

Well, seeing as how a lowly Omega synth knot (price-wise, not quality-wise) can do such a great job, I wanted to try another synth. In the past, I have tried to use various synths but found them all too stiff and springy, flinging lather all over the place and often, just simply uncomfortable to use. This set me on a search here and elsewhere on the interwebinetz to find what are the highest regarded synth knots.

It came down to the Muhle STF v2 and the Simpsons Chubby 2. My wanderings also resulted in me finding a used version of the latter at a very nice price and now, thanks to Steve's well-intentioned but evil deeds, I am not out of the 2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical after making it through 3 of the last 4 years successfully.

Thanks a bunch, Steve! :mad3:

As I said, you are a bad man. :a6:

PS. You're the best! :thumbsup:

After soaking the boars (and mixed mighty midget) for 2 days, the boar tips are splitting already.

full

From L-R (with my take on handle types):
Maple 1305 w/Omega Mixed Mighty Midget
Maple Eagle w/Omega S-knot
Maple 1470 w/Omega boar
Maple Harvard w/Omega boar
Maple w/horse
and
my original Graydog horse, "the viper"

I have already used the new horse twice. It had a *ahem* "nice" scent that overpowered my P.160 the first time I used it, but after soaking for a few hours in a liquid hand soap + water solution, the water came out tinged brown (oils from the hair perhaps?) and no more disturbing scent. It was a great shave with it the second time around, loosing a few hairs but to me, that can be expected with this horse knot based on my existing wonderful "viper" brush.

I have also once used the Eagle S-knot brush, which @Graydog and I have collectively dubbed "Beagle S-knot," aka "Beagle snot." Not sure how I feel about this knot. It is better than any other synth I have used, but feels very different than what I get from a badger, boar, or horse.

The other brushes will enter usage starting tomorrow.

My plan is that I will hold on to 2 of these wonderful brushes, perhaps 3 at most, and pass the others onto fellow members so that they can share in the joy of Steve's work that several of us can already attest to.

WOW!!! Congrats!! :a50::a50:

After soaking the boars (and mixed mighty midget) for 2 days, the boar tips are splitting already.

full

From L-R (with my take on handle types):
Maple 1305 w/Omega Mixed Mighty Midget
Maple Eagle w/Omega S-knot
Maple 1470 w/Omega boar
Maple Harvard w/Omega boar
Maple w/horse
and
my original Graydog horse, "the viper"

I have already used the new horse twice. It had a *ahem* "nice" scent that overpowered my P.160 the first time I used it, but after soaking for a few hours in a liquid hand soap + water solution, the water came out tinged brown (oils from the hair perhaps?) and no more disturbing scent. It was a great shave with it the second time around, loosing a few hairs but to me, that can be expected with this horse knot based on my existing wonderful "viper" brush.

I have also once used the Eagle S-knot brush, which @Graydog and I have collectively dubbed "Beagle S-knot," aka "Beagle snot." Not sure how I feel about this knot. It is better than any other synth I have used, but feels very different than what I get from a badger, boar, or horse.

The other brushes will enter usage starting tomorrow.

My plan is that I will hold on to 2 of these wonderful brushes, perhaps 3 at most, and pass the others onto fellow members so that they can share in the joy of Steve's work that several of us can already attest to.
WOW!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
@Graydog you make some beautiful brushes. I'm going to have to buy a brush from you once I am able. Very elegant designs. Just gorgeous brushes.

I don't sell Brushes , You just have to try and get in on one of the PIF's that I have coming up
I will be doing a few more in the near future , I am trying to make room in my den and If I don't use it ,it has to go .

The trouble that Graydog started rolled onto my doorstep yesterday, after snowballing through Rockviper and Somnos. Along with three beautiful brushes that Graydog made and Rockviper kindly piffed on, the box also contains a generous supply of soap, cream, balms and blades to try, thanks to Rockviper and Somnos.

So for this morning's shave I loaded a fresh Lab Blue, a blade I haven’t tried before, into my Aristocrat Jr. I chose this sweet brush to lather up Haslinger Schafmilch. Figured I should keep to a familiar soap when trying a couple other things that are new to me.

__TEMP__59bc9e9b3d6ac4e6c8b1bc8121d73d29-1513051003_2252_photo.JPG

So nice! It has been a while since I had a new boar, and I am impressed by the backbone in this knot. I guess things soften over time, but this seems like a more hefty brush than my current Omega boar ever was.

Lab Blue is a great blade, I must say. Smooth and sharp. It got right to business in the AJ and the result was great.

Last edited:
Day 2 with the box of brushes from Graydog and other assorted goodies. This morning I tried Graydog's horsehair brush. Of the three that made it to me I say this one wins the prize for prettiest. The maple in the handle has so much interest, with variation in tone, and some spalding. The handle is a lovely shape, and it is beautifully turned and finished. High gloss.

image.jpg

Performance of the brush was quite the opposite of the boar I tried yesterday, which was stiff and scrubby. This one has way more give to it. Pretty luxurious. Some might call it floppy (but don't listen if they do).

I gave the pictured sample of Savannah Sunset a literal whirl. Probably this brush is better suited to creams as it doesn't have the backbone I am looking for to work with hard soaps, but it did the job even so with no unusual effort on my part.

Same Aristocrat Jr and Lab Blue as yesterday.

Savannah Sunset is nice too. Whole lot of flowery/fruity bouquet to go along with a good slick soap. Wife and daughter who I asked to sniff my face afterward each had a laugh, and wife asked, "does the smell go away?" I was asking myself the same question, as it would have bothered me if it had lingered long. It did go away. Good fun. I guess I won't be buying a puck.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I've used my Graydog horsie on MWF, so there's no issue on hard soaps. You just need to load/swirl a wee bit longer.

Top Bottom