What's new

Vocabulary rant

I was actually listening to a webinar where the presenter was going off on a tangent and then apologized and actually said, "sorry, I digest."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
But what if I want to show possession in an abbreviated form (e.g., Nineteen-eighties' music, the music belonging to the '80s).

That's when you should exercise style to avoid the problem and be more clear. Use the word, not the numeral. Frankly, with regard to your example, that shouldn't even be possessive.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It seems to be a trend these day that, instead of saying “4 or 5” people are saying “5 or 4”. It jars me, for some reason.

Blame it on social media. Blame it on the demise of print media. Heck, blame it on fast food.

Vocabularies are shrinking.

Last evening we were watching HGTV; the program focused on a Maine family camp, or cottage. Post- remodel the family toured the property. Adults and children alike screamed, "OMG!" Also, "This is so awesome!" Room to room, those were the comments. Like, totally.

Dang world is going to Hades.

The seemingly irrevocable course you've outlined is quite distressing.

It's bad. Like totes my goats bad.

I almost regret finding this thread, not because it isn't absolutely on the f'n mark but because now when I go back and actually read the whole thing I'm sure to raise my blood pressure more than my doctor would appreciate.

I'm all but foaming at the mouth as I consider where to begin . . .
  • How about when people non-chalantly use "There's nothing worse than . . ."
  • One of my huge pet peeves is when people say "Can I get . . ." and then order something that's on the menu
To the OP, drives me nuts when people say something 'peeked' their interest. Yeah, I can tell, even as I type this, more than one person's hair will stand on end. To be fair, I did read a post today in another B&B forum where the gentleman used 'piqued'. I was giddy with delight.

OMG . . the 5 or 4 thing is going to haunt me now, I know it! Who the F says "I think I had 5 or 4"? How is that even remotely okay?

I'm not entirely certain vocabularies are shrinking as much as people just don't give a rats you-know-what about how they communicate now. Sure, I'll use LOL, LMAO, and OMG, mostly because they are so widely accepted as proper usage it isn't worth the energy to try to combat it. But I refuse to use multiple exclamation points to show excitement--but I do love me a well used interrobang. For those who don't know what it is, an interrobang is actually an exclamation mark and question mark laid one atop the other . . .
HTML:
‽
It expresses incredulity, as in "Can you believe that?!"

Apparently the HTML code thing didn't work the way I hoped, so this is a graphic representation . . .
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 6.17.36 PM.png

Now that I think about it, Interrobang might make a nifty name for a shave soap.

You're killin' me emwolf!

I hear nails on a chalkboard when I see someone write per say. Sadly, I've seen it in mainstream new media, not that it should surprise me I suppose.

quantum leap - Dictionary Definition
A quantum leap is a huge increase or a big move forward. You might describe the dramatic improvement in your math grade as a quantum leap.
Shame on them.
It sounds all sciencey when they say that, but...
"In physics, a quantum (plural: quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity (physical property) involved in an interaction. The fundamental notion that a physical property may be "quantized" is referred to as "the hypothesis of quantization".[1] This means that the magnitude of the physical property can take on only discrete values consisting of integer multiples of one quantum."
- wikipedia​
Emphasis on the "minimum amount", so a "quantum leap" is the smallest step up possible, such as when an electron is bumped up to the next higher energy state.
Not a dramatic improvement at all.

That first definition is bogus, and the quantum unit of bogosity is the bogon.

OMG . . the 5 or 4 thing is going to haunt me now, I know it! Who the F says "I think I had 5 or 4"? How is that even remotely okay?
My late brother-in-law used to say "five or twenty", but only for the purposes of hilarity.
I hear nails on a chalkboard when I see someone write per say. Sadly, I've seen it in mainstream new media, not that it should surprise me I suppose.
School shootings are more common now too.
That still doesn't make them right.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
screen-shot-2019-03-27-at-6-17-36-pm-png.967127

Can someone explain how to make an interrobang without copy and paste‽

I mean, you guys got it all wrong. A decimate is someone's tenth wife.

There was a saying as I recall, about the tough English language...,
Not so difficult but takes some tough thorough thought though.

These are great, gentlemen.

Interesting what bothers us. The learned professor's notion that decimate can mean a 90% reduction rubs me wrong yet I love a good neologism.

I also enjoy some of the regional misuses.

Happy shaves,

Jim

screen-shot-2019-03-27-at-6-17-36-pm-png.967127

Can someone explain how to make an interrobang without copy and paste‽

Jim

It's an exclamation point followed by a question mark combined into one punctuation. Some people say it's overdoing the emotion.

It's also something done in the back seat of an old Dodge Interro.

It's also when the bad cop slams his fist on the table and starts to shout during an interrogation. It's followed by a question like, "Do you really expect me to believe that!?"

Top Bottom