What's new

Fermentation

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

Do give it a try. It's too easy. I just started another batch a few days ago.

If you want to be more precise, weigh the cabbage (after coring and shredding) and add 2% of it's weight in salt. I mix that with about 2 teaspoons of whole caraway seed per head of cabbage, but that's purely a matter of taste. If I'm using my crock, I pound the cabbage into the crock, a handful or so of cabbage and some of the salt at a time. Otherwise, I just mix it all up in a bowl and "massage" the mix (squeezing it to bust up the cell walls) and put it in the jar I'm using. Usually, I cover it all with one or more pieces of one of the outer leaves, cut or torn to fit the vessel. If your cabbage is fairly fresh, you shouldn't need to add more water. Just go back after a couple of hours and mash everything down. The brine should rise over the level of the cabbage. I do use an airlock with my jar. My crock has a lip that holds water and works as an airlock.

I just found this thread! My wife is from Belarus and grew up eating all things fermented. She ushered me into a new world of umami, sour, and spicy flavors by starting to ferment anything she could get her hands on. I'm gonna take my time and read back through.
Thanks,
Matt

Do give it a try. It's too easy. I just started another batch a few days ago.

If you want to be more precise, weigh the cabbage (after coring and shredding) and add 2% of it's weight in salt. I mix that with about 2 teaspoons of whole caraway seed per head of cabbage, but that's purely a matter of taste. If I'm using my crock, I pound the cabbage into the crock, a handful or so of cabbage and some of the salt at a time. Otherwise, I just mix it all up in a bowl and "massage" the mix (squeezing it to bust up the cell walls) and put it in the jar I'm using. Usually, I cover it all with one or more pieces of one of the outer leaves, cut or torn to fit the vessel. If your cabbage is fairly fresh, you shouldn't need to add more water. Just go back after a couple of hours and mash everything down. The brine should rise over the level of the cabbage. I do use an airlock with my jar. My crock has a lip that holds water and works as an airlock.

Oh I will. Especially now. Thanks again!!

I’ve done water kefir and love sauerkraut, but don’t make either currently...we buy Bubbie’s kraut and occassionally their pickles. I try to keep it around so I can also drink the juice to help keep muscle cramps at bay. I wound up suffering them frequently, along with a lot of digestive issues from celiac disease, and fermenteds proved to be a big benefit for my gut health and reducing/curtailing gerd and IBS. I also developed a lot of food sensitivities as a result, so many fermented foods are out for me, due to their food content.

I use vinegars quite a bit too-Coconut and/or Apple Cider, storing chopped garlic in either as one way of consuming it. Home ground and blended mustards another.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How does German mustard compare to say "Deli" or Dijon?
Being from Chicago I only know yellow mustard. (And how to prepare an authentic Chicago dog).
Lowensenf and Hengstenberg are the two I get in my local market. Yes, their flavor is different, more earthy with a bite to them.

I've heard that kraut bought in glass jars (unrefrigerated) don't have the good probiotics. I buy store brand in bags (located by the hot dogs usually).

Is my understanding correct?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@EL SOFA, you are correct that the unrefrigerated sauerkraut's probiotics are kaput, but I don't know that the refrigerated are much better. They still are pumped up with a bunch of preservatives. The easy solution is to just make your own.

I forgot to mention that it's easiest to weigh everything in grams when you are making your own. Weigh the cabbage in grams, multiply that number by 0.02, and that's how many grams of salt you want. You need to be terribly precise (i.e., if you come up with 36.7g of salt, it won't really matter if you weigh out 36 or 37 grams). Just go for it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A few hats from the latest batch. I had already put the rest away before taking the photo. Tasty stuff, if I do say so, myself.

Attachments

• 20190226_200324.jpg
    20190226_200324.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 13

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A few hats from the latest batch. I had already put the rest away before taking the photo. Tasty stuff, if I do say so, myself.
Very nice Doak. I'm jealous. Now I've got to get in the kitchen and make me some. I finally got the missus to try my last batch. She said, "hey that's pretty good."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Once the missus like it, you’re golden.

Truer words never have been said. Mine isn't big on sauerkraut when it's all raw and funky, but that's what's become pretty regular as a nightly snack. She's fine putting up with it, and that's good enough for me.

Top Bottom