What's new

Ripe/Cooked Puerh of the Night

Anyone drinking cooked puerh lately?

I seem to be drinking cooked puerh now and then but seems like there is no place for shu puerh here.

The other night I had 07 Fuhai Large Leaf Ripe cake. It was surprisingly nice. Not so much fermentation smell or taste but a sweet woody broth was what this inexpensive tea brewed. It tastes a bit empty in that the leaves are of very low grade but whole. It is thick and creamy. I really liked this stuff.

Tonight I had 07 7452 Menghai. It tasted much better than last year but the broth was very cloudy. Was there a processing problem? It tasted much weaker and bland than other menghai ripe cakes. Even if this cake was selling for the same price as the 07 Fuhai, I would still go for the 07 Fuhai. Menghai cakes are good examples of how cooked puerh can mature, I think.

This is a surprisingly nice shu puerh. Consisting of mainly grade 9 leaves, there is a good underlying sweetness and thickness. Yet there is much less of that fermentation hallow pondy taste. Just need to rinse good 3 times.

Good recovery from that horrible session with 2001 Jingmai Mountain Ripe Brick the other night.

08 8592 is already pretty good. I look forward to having this tea again about a year or so later. Highly recommend.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
08 8592 is already pretty good. I look forward to having this tea again about a year or so later. Highly recommend.

That was the first complete cake of shu that I finished. Pretty decent. I thought the '08 7572 had a bit more oomph and personality, so I'd recommend that one, as well.

That was the first complete cake of shu that I finished. Pretty decent. I thought the '08 7572 had a bit more oomph and personality, so I'd recommend that one, as well.

Have you had 07 7572? My wife likes it but for me it still has a bit of pondyness or decomposed hay taste/smell. I wonder these big factories' recipe cakes taste different year by year. I know the sheng differs quite a lot but not sure of the ripe ones.

Based on a comment from someone (maybe joyfulwoogie), I decided to do a comparison taste between my 1997 Xiaguan ripe and 2000 Langhe ripe. Previously, I had tasted them in sessions separated by a week or more. The last one that I tried was the Langhe and I thought that I liked it better based on my memory. However, when trying these two teas side by side, I found that the 1997 Xiaguan had much more depth and character.

Tonight I'm drinking the 12 Gentleman's take on the good ol' 7572. Fantastic stuff, really. Gets better and better as it loses it's fermentation flavor. Very lightly fermented so I predict a bright future for this one as well. Mouthfeel has also improved considerably since I first received this. Leaving one beeng untouched for a while to see how it fares. Might not last much longer before I destroy it! :001_smile

Tonight I'm drinking the 12 Gentleman's take on the good ol' 7572. Fantastic stuff, really. Gets better and better as it loses it's fermentation flavor. Very lightly fermented so I predict a bright future for this one as well. Mouthfeel has also improved considerably since I first received this. Leaving one beeng untouched for a while to see how it fares. Might not last much longer before I destroy it! :001_smile

How is it compared to Menghai's 7572? I hear many good reviews about this factory's ripe cakes. It seems a bit more pricey than other ripes. Worth the purchase?

Based on a comment from someone (maybe joyfulwoogie), I decided to do a comparison taste between my 1997 Xiaguan ripe and 2000 Langhe ripe. Previously, I had tasted them in sessions separated by a week or more. The last one that I tried was the Langhe and I thought that I liked it better based on my memory. However, when trying these two teas side by side, I found that the 1997 Xiaguan had much more depth and character.

97 Xiaguan has the wet-storage taste. Looking at the leaves, these must not have been aged in Kunming or purposefully wetstored in Kunming. But really well aired out as it does not leave any unpleasant residues of the wet-storage. I wish I had some samples left. I had three sessions with it but about a year and half ago.

the 12 Gentleman's take on the good ol' 7572.
Is that the "Chun Ya Shen Yun"?

All this talk of shu inspired me to have some cheap, mini tuocha from China Thshu Yunnan Tea Import and Export Corporation at work today. Not particularly good shu, but nice enough for work, especially with a good rinse. The freeze tonight will probably destroy these camellia buds.

proxy.php

97 Xiaguan has the wet-storage taste. Looking at the leaves, these must not have been aged in Kunming or purposefully wetstored in Kunming. But really well aired out as it does not leave any unpleasant residues of the wet-storage. I wish I had some samples left. I had three sessions with it but about a year and half ago.

Wow, I am constantly amazed at the knowledge of a lot of the pu-erh drinkers about the teas we drink!

Is that the "Chun Ya Shen Yun"?

All this talk of shu inspired me to have some cheap, mini tuocha from China Thshu Yunnan Tea Import and Export Corporation at work today. Not particularly good shu, but nice enough for work, especially with a good rinse. The freeze tonight will probably destroy these camellia buds.

proxy.php

What a lighting! Salsero, are you a professional photographer? I certainly would pay for those photos. Perhaps publishing a puerh photo journal would be an idea for you!

Salsero, are you a professional photographer? I certainly would pay for those photos. Perhaps publishing a puerh photo journal would be an idea for you!
No, not a professional photographer at all. I have been publishing a tea photo a day in TeaChat's TeaDay forum for close to a year now. The practice helps.

I put together a book of photos on Lulu for myself (vanity!) and liked the quality of the the prints, but couldn't figure how to control the cropping. I am almost finished compiling another one on Blurb where I can control the cropping. I will post a link when/if I finish the Blurb one. I will set it up at the lowest price Blurb allows since I have no desire to make a profit, but even then I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy a copy. It looks like these self published photo books cost around $30 + shipping, whichever company you use.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would want a book of such photos. The best way to see them is one at a time on the internet. Here are links to a couple Photobucket slide shows of small files of some of the pix:

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...Slide shows/?action=view&current=d2263b56.pbw

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...Slide shows/?action=view&current=ba65a0fd.pbw

You can left click them for bigger images and right click them (at least in Firefox) to download them or copy them. You are welcome to download them from there for screen savers or whatever non-commercial purpose you like. If you want a full resolution file of anything -- say for a print -- let me know and I will send you one.

I really do appreciate the kind words, but at this point it has become compulsive enough that I would probably keep making them and posting them even if I derived an enormous electric shock each time I did it!:lol:

How is it compared to Menghai's 7572? I hear many good reviews about this factory's ripe cakes. It seems a bit more pricey than other ripes. Worth the purchase?

You know what, I'm not going to lie, but I've forgotten. The last time I tried 7572 was briefly at a friends house over the summer, and I believe it was an 802 batch. I do know that the 12 Gents 7572 (yes Sal, the very same Chun ya Shen Yun) is definitely the best shu I've had under 5 years old. Also one of the cheapest, I was able to score a few beengs for about 9$ each last year.

I don't mind being the "big fish" if I can get those beengs at a good price! Good to have connections, Hobbes.

Not so much! My wife makes me wait outside the tea shop in her hometown, otherwise she gets "foreigner prices"!

I like watching the locals staring at me openly from their passing bicycles, craning their heads back over their shoulders to continue the stare. Tall + red hair + pale skin is out-of-place. :ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I am surprised she does not make you wait in the hotel so there is absolutely no possibility of association and increased costs! :lol: :001_rolle :lol:

Not so much! My wife makes me wait outside the tea shop in her hometown, otherwise she gets "foreigner prices"!

I like watching the locals staring at me openly from their passing bicycles, craning their heads back over their shoulders to continue the stare. Tall + red hair + pale skin is out-of-place. :ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom