What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

I've spent the last week enjoying my Streamline, it's one of those things that just gets better the more you use it, this morning however, I decided to move on to another "favourite" of mine, the DE Slim. I must say after a week of using what I now consider to be the best shaving razor made, I was disappointed. It lacked the smoothness and the efficiency I felt with the Streamline, and it caused a rash, something noticeably missing with the Streamline, even though I sometimes get irritation from looking at an "aggressive" razor. I really hope this doesn't mean I have a drawer full of paper weights. I can only think of one other razor that gets the kind of reviews I've read about the Streamline, and I think it might be the Streamlines DE equivalent - the Red Ring. Now I have to find one so I can compare - does anyone who has used both have any thoughts about the comparison? Is the Streamline the Red Ring of SE razors?

Todays purchase.

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l16003.jpg
    s-l16003.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 42
  • s-l16004.jpg
    s-l16004.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 42

So, is this an Ever Ready Streamline in a Streamline case, and Ever Ready Streamline in a Jewel case, and Ever Ready Jewel? I know its a 2nd generation (1950's) razor because of the split spine and smaller gaps on the base plate, but there is confusion over the names of these razors. It would be great if it was an Ever Ready Jewel, as its identical to the GEM Jewel.

So, is this an Ever Ready Streamline in a Streamline case, and Ever Ready Streamline in a Jewel case, and Ever Ready Jewel? I know its a 2nd generation (1950's) razor because of the split spine and smaller gaps on the base plate, but there is confusion over the names of these razors. It would be great if it was an Ever Ready Jewel, as its identical to the GEM Jewel.
In the simplest terms, razors' names were dictated by the packaging. Today, they're all commonly called Streamlines. Yes, Gem and Ever-Ready had "Jewel", "Ambassador", "Streamline", and "Strop Outfit" packaging.

Due to my OCD, in SOTD pics, I refer to my razors as "Ever-Ready SE" or "Gem SE" unless I include the packaging in the image. Since there's not name imprinted on the razors themselves, there is no way to know in which packaging it originally shipped. It's a misconception that Gem did the only "Jewels".

This is not my image, but good for proof:

proxy.php

Go back a page or two to see a little write-up I did: The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Due to my OCD, in SOTD pics, I refer to my razors as "Ever-Ready SE" or "Gem SE" unless I include the packaging in the image. Since there's not name imprinted on the razors themselves, there is no way to know in which packaging it originally shipped. It's a misconception that Gem did the only "Jewels".

This is not my image, but good for proof:

proxy.php

Go back a page or two to see a little write-up I did: The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Well then, I guess I have two Ever Ready Razors, both identical, except one is a Streamline (strop set below in brown bakelite case), the other a Jewel (just the razor in a metal case below)?

il_fullxfull.1782635290_2687.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 17
...one is a Streamline (strop set below in brown bakelite case)...
Again, technically not a "Streamline" if it came in the "Strop Outfit". Again, the packaging dictated the name. They had no idea we'd care about a unique razor name 70 years later.

Additionally, that's a second gen razor and strop in a first gen case.

Again, technically not a "Streamline" if it came in the "Strop Outfit". Again, the packaging dictated the name. They had no idea we'd care about a unique razor name 70 years later.

Additionally, that's a second gen razor and strop in a first gen case.

LOL. So are the Strop Sets in the bakelite cases (brown and cream) the "Ambassador".

How do you determine the razor/strop are in the wrong case? (Did only the first gen's come in those or does the color of it matter?)

And I thought Gillette Aristocrats were hard to figure out :)

Thanks, by the way - just want to know what I have got.

That's a first gen Strop Set case. Second gens were ivory. There were ivory first gens, but the text was horizontal on the top of the case as opposed to the vertical text used on the second gen ivory cases. Additionally, the first gen strops had no text on them. Furthermore, your razor has open slots in the bar (I think I can see through them), which makes it a second gen.

Ambassador is different case altogether and various colors.

That's a first gen Strop Set case. Second gens were ivory. There were ivory first gens, but the text was horizontal on the top of the case as opposed to the vertical text used on the second gen ivory cases. Additionally, the first gen strops had no text on them. Furthermore, your razor has open slots in the bar (I think I can see through them), which makes it a second gen.

Ambassador is different case altogether and various colors.

Yes, its 100% second gen razor. The slots are open in the bar, smaller gaps on base plate and solid spine.

The text on the front of the case is horizontal. So everything else point to it being in a 1st gen case (mis match). Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So smaller clamshell boxes, square green/orange - they all Ambassador sets?

...So smaller clamshell boxes, square green/orange - they all Ambassador sets?
Ambassador cases are a little bigger and boxier. Streamline cases, I believe are only ivory, and are tapered and...well...streamlined.

Again, not my image, but here's an Ambassador case:

proxy.php

Here's a Streamline case:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ambassador cases are a little bigger and boxier. Streamline cases, I believe are only ivory, and are tapered and...well...streamlined.

Again, not my image, but here's an Ambassador case:

proxy.php

Here's a Streamline case:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ok, now I'm getting my head around it. Thanks.

Do you think its safe to say that they are ALL Streamlines?

ER Streamline Strop Set(s) (1st and 2nd generation)
ER Streamline (clamshell box above - 1st or 2nd generation???)
ER Streamline Jewel (like mine in the metal case)
ER Streamline Ambassador (colored plastic boxes - blue/green/orange)
GEM (Streamline Jewel?)

Do you think its safe to say that they are ALL Streamlines?
No. They are ALL Ever-Ready or Gem Chromium Razors. That is literally what they called them. They sold/marketed packages. We currently call them all "Streamlines" in a generic sense very much the way some people call facial tissue paper "Kleenex" regardless of brand.

D

dangerousrazor

Having used for 10days or so, it easily became one of my top 5 razors.

It shaves like somwhere between Gem 1912 and MMOC,leaning a bit more toward the latter. It gives v
20190425_153759.jpg
ery efficient WTG shaving

Whatever you call them, they're great razors, and if you're like me, they leave you with a bunch of razors that don't see much action any more.

As correctly stated by @120inna55 the correct name of the razor is either "Chrome Plated Single Edge Razor" or the "New Ever-Ready Chromium Razor".

Quite some decades after SE collectors started to nickname the razor after the (I guess) most common set available on the usual auction sites. I see why, how can you catalog a "Chrome Plated Single Edge Razor" in your SE collection? It could also have been labeled "The New Ever-Ready" like it was for Gillette or "The Ambassador". "Streamline" is how we call them today, maybe because the first collectors happened to find one in a "Streamline" set.

As correctly stated by @120inna55 the correct name of the razor is either "Chrome Plated Single Edge Razor" or the "New Ever-Ready Chromium Razor"...
It's my own OCD that compels me to qualify the moniker each time I use it, but I do, in fact, call it a "Streamline" in casual discussion. This is to ensure everyone knows what you're talking about. A similar conundrum presents itself when discussing the myriad of Schick Injectors. Decades later, for clarity, historian and enthusiast Alan Appleby denoted them as "type" followed by a corresponding letter of the alphabet and ordered by date of production. Consequently, my "New Improved Schick Injector Razor" is a rather obtuse notation for my razor. However, whey you call it an "F-Type" or "Type F" most razor enthusiasts know precisely what you're talking about. The reality is when these razors were being produced, I hardly think the designers and marketers ever anticipated they'd be collectibles, but rather practical tools. They needed catchy names in their respective times that would draw eyes in various packaging. In that light, "The New Improved Schick Injector Razor" suddenly begins to make more sense as does "The Streamline" or "New Chrome Strop Outfit".

It's my own OCD that compels me to qualify the moniker each time I use it, but I do, in fact, call it a "Streamline" in casual discussion. This is to ensure everyone knows what you're talking about. A similar conundrum presents itself when discussing the myriad of Schick Injectors.

OCD minds think alike lol, the injector think is exactly the example I wanted to make in my previous post:
- "I've just bought a Schick Injector Razor Deluxe Model!"
- "What's that?"
- "It's a Type E1 man..."
Also, nobody in Gillette ever dreamt to call a Safety Razor a "Fatboy". A similar thought never crossed their mind. It was just the "Gillette Adjustable"

Top Bottom