What's new

Ever-Ready streamline

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It arrived. I opened the box, admired its stunning beauty and craftsmanship (best razor I've ever had the pleasure of holding in my hand - this thing is sexy!), loaded a PTFE blade and started shaving.

I was nervous as I had read on here and other threads that the Streamline was aggressive. Well you can see the blade (a lot of it) certainly feel the blade (a lot), and you can most definitely HEAR the blade (purrs like an MG Spitfire)…...but.

OMG. Smoothest, most efficient, safest and most pleasurable shave I have ever had. Period. BBS in less than 2 passes (the 2nd pass was half pass half touch-up).

Comparing it to other SE's:

AC razors that I have tried (Vector, Mongoose, ATT SE1,) Streamline is smoother and more efficient, and WAY more fun to use.
GEM's that I have tried (Clog Pruf, Bullet Tip, G-Bar, Featherweight) - Streamline is smoother and more efficient, and WAY more fun to use.
Injectors that I have tried (Type E, Type G, Type I and Type L) - Streamline is smoother and more efficient, and WAY more fun to use.

I have a GEM Junior, Schick Type I Eversharp and a GEM MMOC on the way, and will test those out - but they will have to be otherworldly to beat out the Streamline. Big, MASSIVE new fan here. Ive just switched over from DE shaving, where the Gillette Aristocrat #21 was the most beautiful and best razor I have ever used/owned. It now has an equal.

Oh, and did I say it was beautiful...…..

View attachment 962479
Great to see you happy with your new purchase of a streamline, nothing better than a happy camper.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Just received my 1st Everready 2nd Gen Streamline razor & Strop set without case and is very nice considering the age, a little brassing in the front part of the guard and I was expecting some normal wear. Sanitized & cleaned with New blade in and ready to have my shave tomorrow.
streamline-and-strop-2-jpg.962735

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Well I had my first shave with the Streamline razor and it was a good shave, very close. Started with a brand new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) and it delivered a BBs and it's indicating a very efficient razor also. The audio on the whiskers getting chopped is very nice to hear(scraping toast) and it indicates the little rascals are still there on the second pass ATG. I did a 2 pass with a cleanup pass and it delivered what I was expecting for a shave. I had a small weeper from a pimple it sheared off like any razor would do unless a extremely mild aggression razor.
1st-shave-with-the-streamline-2-jpg.962844

The Razor was manufactured in England and went through 2 generations and some are very rare to find like the GEM Jewel that I do not own but they do exist and this is about as close to acquiring one for now.
A Gem Jewel, rare and can be a little expensive if you come a cross one.
Here is some great pictures of the differences that were made of the Everready Streamline razor models over the decades of time, Very attractive razor.
full

@mdwolfie86 has a beautiful collection of Everready & Gem Jewel Streamine razor and he gave me permission to show the models over the decades they were MFG.
/www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ever-ready-streamline.561489/
Have some great shaves!

The reason You don't see "ratty" Streamlines is because of their heavy "chromium" plating. They were indeed one of the highest quality built razors of all time.
In the words of Ever-Ready:
"The frame of the new Ever-Ready is a marvel of mechanical construction, indestructible in years of ordinary use, devoid of all delicate parts. It is the most costly frame to produce known to safety razors and we guarantee it for 10 full years in the knowledge that it will serve a lifetime.
Made of heavy brass, heavily chromium plated and self-adjusting to the precise shaving position with the closing of the cover. The handle is solid and heavy and furnishes a good non-slip grip. It is a pleasure to use."

I understand the first iteration was introduced on the market in time with Christmas 1939. The only two print-ads I have found are dated December 2nd, 1939. It is unknown if they suddenly stopped production because of WWII or, like someone has speculated, the Ever-Ready factory was bombed during the Nazi air raids.

One of the two new "Ever-Ready Razor Set" print ads dating December 1939.
proxy.php

I always believed that the name "Streamline" was reserved for the double set that included the stropper, and "Ambassador" was the name of the single set. The following picture proved me wrong:
proxy.php

A last word on the elusive "Jewel". Both Ever-Ready and Gem produced their "Jewel" model starting from 1949.
The Ever-Ready is absolutely identical to the Streamline and Ambassador while the Gem, intended for the Commonwealth market, has a slightly thicker handle.

Last edited:
The reason You don't see "ratty" Streamlines is because of their heavy "chromium" plating. They were indeed one of the highest quality build razors of all time.
In the words of Ever-Ready:
"The frame of the new Ever-Ready is a marvel of mechanical construction, indestructible in years of ordinary use, devoid of all delicate parts. It is the most costly frame to produce known to safety razors and we guarantee it for 10 full years in the knowledge that it will serve a lifetime.
Made of heavy brass, heavily chromium plated and self-adjusting to the precise shaving position with the closing of the cover. The handle is solid and heavy and furnishes a good non-slip grip. It is a pleasure to use."

I understand the first iteration was introduced on the market in time with Christmas 1939. The only two print-ads I have found are dated December 2nd, 1939. It is unknown if they suddenly stopped production because of WWII or, like someone has speculated, the Ever-Ready factory was bombed during the Nazi air raids.

One of the two new "Ever-Ready Razor Set" print ads dating December 1939.
proxy.php

I always believed that the name "Streamline" was reserved for the double set that included the stropper, and "Ambassador" was the name of the single set. The following picture proved me wrong:
proxy.php

A last word on the elusive "Jewel". Both Ever-Ready and Gem produced their "Jewel" model starting from 1949.
The Ever-Ready is absolutely identical to the Streamline and Ambassador while the Gem, intended for the Commonwealth market, has a slightly thicker handle.

Great information, thanks. I will be looking for (and purchasing if I find) a 'Jewel', a 1st gen 'Streamline' and a 2nd gen in the single box, if I can find them. They will purely be for collector purposes, as I will be using my 2nd gen (the dark double bakelite box with strop and tool) as my daily driver, probably for the rest of my life.

Great information, thanks. I will be looking for (and purchasing if I find) a 'Jewel', a 1st gen 'Streamline' and a 2nd gen in the single box, if I can find them. They will purely be for collector purposes, as I will be using my 2nd gen (the dark double bakelite box with strop and tool) as my daily driver, probably for the rest of my life.

Seems that you are loving this type of razor a lot. Do you have any other gem razors

Own: G-Bar, Bullet Tip
Sold (too aggressive): Clog Pruf
Arriving TODAY in the mail: GEM Junior, MMOC
I like MMOC but I find it too aggressive if I am not careful. But it is an fantastic shaver.

I am considering Bullet Tip actually.

Yeah, I've read a lot about the MMOC aggressiveness. I'm taking a risk for sure, but I've also heard so many good things about it. Worth a try I'd say.

I actually ordered 4 razors in one day, the Streamline is of course already here and used, and a MMOC, GEM Junior and Schick Hydromatic Injector Type I are all out for delivery to my mail box today! :(
I like MMOC but I find it too aggressive if I am not careful. But it is an fantastic shaver.

I am considering Bullet Tip actually.

Yeah, I've read a lot about the MMOC aggressiveness. I'm taking a risk for sure, but I've also heard so many good things about it. Worth a try I'd say.

The Bullet Tip is mild to mid aggressive! I have one and like it.

I actually ordered 4 razors in one day, the Streamline is of course already here and used, and a MMOC, GEM Junior and Schick Hydromatic Injector Type I are all out for delivery to my mail box today! :(

I really fail to understand why the MMOC is considered aggressive. Once you get the muscle memory, it shaves as well as the user allows.

I’d guess with three to five days growth, it would mow it down better than DE and might not clog as bad as an Injector.

I really fail to understand why the MMOC is considered aggressive. Once you get the muscle memory, it shaves as well as the user allows.

I’d guess with three to five days growth, it would mow it down better than DE and might not clog as bad as an Injector.
I've never experienced the MMOC as an aggressive razor. Can't explain others' reaction to it

Ron R

The MMOC is not a aggressive razor, but if you go steep on the angle your going into forbidden area of good hand technique and it will bite you and you will not like the shave. I shaved with the MMOC for 14 days straight and had no issues and the shaves were all excellent IMO. The Streamline is of different design and the blade can flex more because it does not have support underneath it and can flex up to .015 thousands(Blade gap .015 thousands of a inch) until it has made contact with it's safety bar teeth before it bottoms. All the GEM 1912 & ER 1914 & ER 1924 have similar issue with lack of underneath blade support, in fact almost all DE razors have similar overhang issues with no underneath support yet they still perform well.
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

To all those posters above regarding the MMOC aggressiveness - yes, I don't like aggressive, but the general consensus on here is that with the right technique, its not, and that intrigues me, so I ordered it. I don't want my shaves to be easy, or way to mild, but I do want them to be smooth and not be uncomfortable - I like to experiment with the razor, find out the angle, speed and direction which best suits my face - have fun basically. I LOVE razors that are fun to use (its why my two favorites are the British Aristocrat #21 and the Ever Ready Streamline.)

Ron R

The Streamline is one of the few razors still missing on my "hunting" list. Because of the steep prices, I'm looking for an "Ambassador", AKA the single set, I don't care for the stropper but I admit the full set is so damn good looking and a nice possession to have.

I added some legends on the beautiful @mdwolfie86 's photo for an easier and more immediate comparison between the various models:
Folks over at the TSD are really enjoying this photo you fellows have taken and added some of those important dates and slight mentions of changes over the years. I'm sure they are enjoying them here also but B&B does not have a like or unlike to click on a thread or personal view. Great job fellows!

Sorry, but that diagram is not complete. I have a no-notch Streamline and a thin handled GEM. My Streamline and Jewel are identical; they have the same no-notch configuration and same 15/32" handle diameter.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

Sorry, but that diagram is not complete. I have a no-notch Streamline and a thin handled GEM. My Streamline and Jewel are identical; they have the same no-notch configuration and same 15/32" handle diameter.
proxy.php
You are one of the the lucky fellows who also owns a GEM Streamline Jewel, my Everready also does not have the notch in the cap stop and there must of been variances or equipment got damaged while MFG and that little indent would make it more expensive to make a new punch die possibly. When knurling the Diameter increases as the metal is formed to its new shape so maybe that can explain small differences because I was journeyman Machinist and I know a little about these sort of issues. Those pictures are from another collection of @mdwolfie86 and not of mine and he has even a more rare Everready Streamline possibly.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom